News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II - Hidden Characters  (Read 29591 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II - Hidden Characters
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »

Update By: MottZilla

Mortal Kombat II features 3 hidden and unplayable characters Smoke, Noob Saibot, and Jade. If you attempt to play as them with Pro Action Replay cheats the game will crash as none are programmed for human control. This hack addresses that issue and fixes all crashing issues making them all playable. It also adds in game codes to pick a hidden character so no cheat device is needed. A few things were not addressed yet and will be added in a later version. Note that Kintaro and Shao Kahn are not human playable.

RHDN Mortal Kombat II - Hidden Characters Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/537/)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II - Hidden Characters
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »
Nice job on making them usable, but I've got a question: why didn't you just add them to the player selection screen? I've noticed that the code sometimes (well, most of the times) doesn't work for me so I'm forced to use the AR codes. This would make it possible to have again those "lame" codes for 30 credits, etc... Also, care to give them some kind of uber powers (fast walk, immunity to projectiles) like the originals? :p And maybe new fatalities and moves, instead of them just being Scorpion, Sub Zero and Kitana with different palettes.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:16 pm »
The codes work anytime on the character select screen. It works best if you rapidly press the direction you want and then press select immediately after the last push. If you don't hear the confirm sound, just start mashing the direction again and try again. All 3 characters if you look closely still move faster than regular characters and Jade is still immune to projectiles. Just like the CPU controlled ones.

Later on I can actually add the "lame" codes back without removing the new codes. I didn't expand as I just wanted to get a working version out for now. Completely new moves and fatalities I'm not sure about. It could probably be done but work be a significant amount more of work. For now I'm concerned most with fixing the current bugs and adding the Versus Portrait and some sort of ending. If someone else is interested in creating new moves and fatalities they are welcome to do that.

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:42:33 pm »
KANO, LIU KANG, RAIDEN, JOHNN CAGE, SCORPION, SUB-ZERO, SONYA,

MORTAAAAL KOMBAT

I had no idea functionality for these three characters were in the game. I'm a huge fan of human Smoke, so this is a treat.

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »
Actually, the point of this hack was that functionality for the characters was *not* in the game. And I have hacked the game so that they are functional. ;)

By the way, I have already redone the "secret codes" so that the Super Strength, 30 Credits, and Extended Fatality Time cheats are still present. I have also fixed CPU Noob Saibot, Jade Vs CPU Jade should work without crashing now, and CPU Smoke has the smoke effect again. I've still got more things to do but an update will come that will address some of the issues.

Update: I submitted a new version of the hack (v1.01) and it should be up soon. It fixes the issue with CPU controlled Noob, fixes the issue with CPU Jade hopefully, fixed CPU Smoke's smoke effect (human players don't get it yet), redid the cheat codes so that all original ones are intact plus there are the new ones for each character, added unique sounds for confirmation of entering a cheat code, and finally I fixed the crash/lockup at the end of the game with hidden characters. There is still no ending for these characters so like in Versus, it has been programmed to default to Kung Lao.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:52:00 pm by MottZilla »

Master ZED

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:49:25 pm »
For Kintaro and Shao Kahn, I don't blame you for not messing with them.  I wasn't able to completely fix them either, which is why I didn't release my own patch for the game (they can't even move backward, WTF!?).  However, my hack was loyal to the original designs for the hidden characters (no fatalities, 1 to 2 special moves, etc.) so it wouldn't have been as fun to play for most people anyway, though Smoke is extremely cheap because of this.

Do try though.  Kintaro is cheap as hell, yes, but sometimes it's fun to go on a simple killing spree.

Would I be correct in assuming the reason you overwrote cheats instead of adding them was because you didn't want to expand the ROM?  With the size of hard drives and even USB drives these days, I don't bother with such considerations. :\

And maybe new fatalities and moves, instead of them just being Scorpion, Sub Zero and Kitana with different palettes.
I haven't played this hack because I don't have the v1.1 ROM, but if human Smoke is just a clone of Scorpion to the letter, this must be done.  He still needs his run and throw, after all.  It's the only unique special move among the three characters, and it's why I call him cheap (the CPU has quite a problem countering that attack despite how extremely straightforward it is).

McCarron

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »
Hey MottZilla,

I patched a MK2 1.1 USA ROM without header with your latest patch, and the game crashes when you enter the code on the select screen.  This happens on both SNES9x and on my SNES with a Super Flash cart.  What is your md5 on your 1.1 ROM with headers stripped before patching?

Thanks,
Patrick

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »
Well I didn't have much interest in Shao Kahn or Kintaro. They're not very in depth or interesting. They have just a few attacks and are extremely over powered to make up for their general lack of depth. I might try to do something with them.

I originally overwrote the cheats yes, to save ROM space as I didn't want to expand from 3mbytes to 4mbytes yet. But with version 1.01 I did and the codes were rehacked.

Smoke doesn't have that super run and throw move. Infact I didn't even know that was a particular move till you mentioned it. Not very interesting of a move. Odd that the CPU wouldn't counter it as usually the CPU doesn't let you throw it around.

CRC32 for the original ROM is 70bb5513.
MD5 is: a0b9bebbc80958e36292abd9b8fb758e

I made another update to the hack, version 1.02 should appear soon. It fixed a bug that was causing the "<Character Name> Wins" voice to be Kung Lao for Noob, Smoke, and Jade. Not sure how I missed that in testing version 1.01 but I did.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:56:06 pm by MottZilla »

McCarron

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:18 am »
Hi MottZilla, I'm stilll having problems with 1.02.  The game locks up when I hit the SELECT button part of the code on the select screen it goes black and locks up.  I just fire the game up, hit start on the main menu, and then enter the code.  That's when it locks up.  I can repeat this every time.

My stripped headers 1.1 ROM has the same CRC/MD5 as you posted below.  I've used both UIPS and IPSWIN to patch the ROM, and with patch version 1.02 I get the following CRC/MD5 checksums:  (md5) 4635c1054d0129a45fd5c3e921acf1b9 (crc32) d39f5f7d  I also stripped the headers with NSRT.

I'm now testing with SNES9X on the Mac, and I haven't tried on my real SNES yet since I've had problems before and wanted to test on the Emulator first this time.  A friend is using ZSNESw and SNES9X on Windows, and using SnesTool, and lunar ips to patch the ROM.  Yet we both have the same problem. 

Anything you can suggest?  Something else you do first before entering the code, or similar? 

Thanks,
Patrick

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:15 pm »
Hey there. The problem you are having I noticed happens in SNES9X Tracer that I have. However it does not happen in ZSNES or BSNES, nor does it happen on my Super Famicom hardware. So I think you'll have to try a different version of SNES9X or different emulator. BSNES is very accurate and runs the hack fine, however it requires a fast PC to keep the framerate 60fps. I use ZSNES version 1.42 windows. It works great. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

McCarron

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »
Hey there. The problem you are having I noticed happens in SNES9X Tracer that I have. However it does not happen in ZSNES or BSNES, nor does it happen on my Super Famicom hardware. So I think you'll have to try a different version of SNES9X or different emulator. BSNES is very accurate and runs the hack fine, however it requires a fast PC to keep the framerate 60fps. I use ZSNES version 1.42 windows. It works great. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Okay it works fine in BSNES, and I don't expect it to have speed problems here with my hardware.

It still doesn't work on my US SNES using a 64MB Flash Cart, how are you testing it on your machine?  I add back the 512 Header and it locks up at the same place, when doing the code, with the screen going black just as it does for me in SNES9X.  If it works on your Super Famicom, is there maybe a hardware difference somewhere that is causing a problem?  Any ideas, as I'd love to run this on my real SNES as well.

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »
I just recalled how I fixed it before. The issue is that SNES9X and likely the 64MB Flash cart, believe the game is 24Mbit when it has been expanded to 32mbit. I didn't need a terribly large amount of extra space so the expansion is barely anything and I'm guessing it's being ignored or something.

So to fix it, expand the ROM the rest of the way to 32mbits (4mbytes). If I update again I'll try to remember to expand the ROM to the full 32mbits so this issue is avoided.

Also I test on my Super Famicom with a Game Doctor SF7. It worked fine there.

McCarron

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »
So to fix it, expand the ROM the rest of the way to 32mbits (4mbytes). If I update again I'll try to remember to expand the ROM to the full 32mbits so this issue is avoided.

That did it, I think the problem was how my loader would actually program the ROM onto the Flash Cart.  If it thought it was smaller, it would only load that part of the game ROM onto the Cart.  It also fixed SNES9X as well, as it probably was limiting the memory addressing of the ROM based on the ROM info and not the file size itself.

I did notice that if you did the Noob code and hit BACK again after SELECT, it'll push the select screen selector offset to the left.  So you can select characters, just the selector is offset and mostly off the screen.

Other than that, great work.  Big fan of MK2 and can't wait to see what else you have in store.  Maybe a moved around arcade ladder like the Arcade "Challenger" hack has with the secret characters added into it by default?

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
I have thought about adding the characters to the regular ladder. I was debating if that would be a good idea or not.

I am aware that after entering the code, if you press another direction you will unselect the character and the cursor is offset. Later on I plan to make code entry not require you to press a button afterwards and hopefully also make your character appear on your side of the screen.

The issue with the size is that a 24mbit game and a 32mbit game have no internal header information to tell them apart. ROM sizes are generally 4m, 8m, 16m, 32m. Games that are 10m or 12m are considered to be 16m. 20m and 24m games are considered to be 32m. So the software like SNES9X probably just checks the file size to see if it's 4mbytes or 3mbytes and allocates memory that way. Anyway the latest version of my patch will pad the ROM out.

AcidGlow

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 06:49:04 pm »
I had to get a friend of yours Motzilla to send me a patched version already compiled cause it just kept crashing after I patched it. Anyway, I did a playthrough with Smoke and it was quite fun. I was hoping Noob Would have the spear from Scorpion and Subs Ice and Slide to give him a "reptile" likeness from MK1 when Reptile had powers of both ninjas but not all.
Are you going to update the patch? I did miss the smoke emiting from Smoke's body and I still wanna try Kintaro in MK 2 cause in MK Trilogy it just doesn't feel the same.

It's a good hack with the only glitches I saw were the graphics on Noobs ice attacks. It served its purpose and it's good. I give it a 8.5/10
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:42:39 am by AcidGlow »

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
I might update it or redo it in the future. Your idea of giving Noob a MK1 Reptile mix of moves is a good one, and it could probably be done with considerable work. The way in which the hack works doesn't really permit some of the things I'd like to do so for something better would require significant work. I really did want to have a human played Smoke actually emitting smoke. Playing as the bosses (or atleast preventing crashes) was another thing I wanted to do. There are a number of things I would have liked to do but didn't have the time to get into. I hope to get back to it after learning more about these things I have more and better ideas of how to do things.

By the way the issue with patching the ROM is because there are two versions of MK2, v1.0 and v1.1 and then there are many different ROM formats and some ROMs have headers and some do not have headers. That is why some people would get random results with the patch.

And Noob and the Ice being colored wrong is because Noob as the cpu wasn't meant to use Ice so the palette is set fort he harpoon rather than Ice. The reason I did this was because Noob is supposed to be the original Sub-Zero and I saw no reason to have Smoke and Noob be the exact same other than palette swaps.

So sometime I will get back to it and would like to do a number of things but I have no idea when that will be. MK2 is a great game for this sort of thing though since I can't think of any other fighting game with interesting unplayable characters.

Tiberious

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 08:54:02 am »
I noticed a few... oddities, and I'd like to know if these are things that are supposed to be, or if they're bugs:

Playing as Jade, and doing the in-close kick (the knee) freezes her for something along the lines of 15 game seconds, essentially saying "Come unload your beefiest combo on me, please!".

As Smoke, fighting a mirror match from the Portal, the game completely freaks out. The fight rarely runs at anything resembling full speed, and it takes dedication to actually finish the matchup.

Also, are there plans for allowing both players to access the hidden characters? As it is now, it seems rather unfair to allow 2P to decide who 1P uses. Would alternate palettes be stopping this?

I know this is a rather late post, but I'd wanted to say something for a long time, and just never did.

zsnes_user

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:25 am »
Well this topic is old but it seems to be directly related to my problem so I'm bumping it.

same issue, goes to a black screen after the character select screen.  i am interested in this expanding the rom part, it might help.  how does one "expand the rom"

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »
Did you check you're using the proper ROM?
Quote from: The readme
Use this patch on the US Version 1.1 ROM with NO header in non-interleaved format.
About patching SNES ROMs
The patch will automatically expand the ROM.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

zsnes_user

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
what do you mean "no header, non-interleaved"??  the way i've been doing it is, on the correct rom (version 1.1 US), have the patch and rom in a folder, and the rom is called Mortal Kombat 2.smc so i rename the patch to Mortal Kombat 2.ips but it's totally out of whack.

also that part you quoted from the readme is not in my readme that I got.