News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is it possible to play n64 hacks using retroarch on iOS 8.3?  (Read 2713 times)

WAFFAHOUSE

• View Profile
I'm on 8.3 IPhone 5s and I am using retroarch and it works fine with normal n64 Roms, but I tried to play a few of these amazing looking Rom hacks (ex. Marios nightmare) but I can't run them on retroarch for some reason.... Please somebody help me out here I really wnna play these games yall created!!!

Thanks!
Waffahouse

Email
Waffahouse89@yahoo.com
Twitter
@waffahouse_

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to play n64 hacks using retroarch on iOS 8.3?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:28:46 am »
That will depend entirely upon the hack in question. Some N64 hacks are PC emulator only (things like a lot of texture replacements) and others might work on hardware (and thus should work in retroarch if the original game works).

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:41 pm »
In general just assume any Mario64 hack won't work on hardware or outside very particular emulators unless they otherwise noted.  For some propaganda from their side, read this.  Mario64 hacks created with TT64 (outside 1-2 that fixed this problem) read from unaligned addresses so the more accurate your emulator the less likely it will be to run these.  Recently-ish they've been using hacked emulators quadrupling the amount of RDRAM in the system; obviously these won't work outside a select few emulators.

Basically, RetroArch is a fork of Mupen64plus.  Not quite repackaged, but the support is fairly similar.  You still have support of whatever its plugins can manage, so chances are decent for some of the texture pack stuff.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »
Heh, I had no idea the hardware compatibility issue was such a contentious one. Granted I would hold the best way to make N64 games worth playing would be to emulate and improve them massively there, but I still had no idea feelings were so pronounced.