Meitantei Conan & Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo
It's out! Patching instructions are available at http://www.dctp.ws/ConanKindaichiDownload Mirror 1Download Mirror 2
I'm pleased to announce that after almost 6 and a half years, I have finally been able to complete this translation hack. I wasn't sure I had the skills to be able to do this, but I managed to figure out workarounds and learn by messing around with the code. The translation to English was done by the DCTP fansubbing group. It was a massive undertaking for them as this is a very text-heavy game, much longer than the usual manga/episodes/specials/films they usually translate. This is also unfortunately their final project.
Here's our release trailer:
The patch will be available at 6:00PM EST June 29, 2015 from http://www.dctp.ws/ConanKindaichi
232/752 script files translated as of June 20, 2011.February 4, 2012
I have decided to fake the handwriting recognition. It actually works pretty well in game.
Anyway, the translators were asking if it was possible to disable the Select button, because they don't want to translate the "story progression scripts" that periodically get updated as you progress in the game.
After you finish an episode, only one version of the complete story is displayed. Hopefully I can figure out something to solve this.
Also, have to find out where this missing graphic is.
1) L:全体 in bottom left of this picture:June 21, 2011
Fixed the font problem:
However another problem has come up;Handwriting Recognition!
This scene is the only one in the game that uses hiragana recognition, the rest use only numbers.
For testing and tweaking attempts, here is a patch
that will take you to a little bit just before the screen once you start a new game: http://www.mediafire.com/?59u3505m0pmiprj
What I need help with is changing the hiragana recognition to alphabet letters. The game font does not contain ASCII, only SJIS full-width JASCII. Also, capital letters and lower case letters should go to the same SJIS code (i.e., A and a both could point to the character code 82A0).
The recognition information is probably stored in one of these two files:
dltjdb.zzz: contains dbtag Nintendo_non_kanji. Made by Decuma.
dltjdb_jis0big.zzz: contains dbtag Nintendo_jis0. Made Decuma.
Ideally, I would like to change the input to (see spoiler),
but as can be seen in the following image, combinations of 5 or more characters cause problems:
If I can't figure out how to change the recognition information, I will have to fake it by keeping hiragana recognition but putting the closest matching letter over it.June 20, 2011
Ran into a slight problem:
As you can see in the picture, the font is spaced apart. In the untranslated rom, it looks something like this:
ゆ う や み 小 路
In the translated version, spacing remains the same, which with English characters doesn't look very good:
Tw il ig ht L an e
Hex characters before the screen loads looks like this:
Similar problem is here:
At this part, the game script is like this:
I was hoping the spacing issue would have to do with the hex preceding the text, but it looks like that is not the case, so the spacing is probably stored elsewhere in the rom somewhere, so I'm thinking I will need help from someone with knowledge of ASM to remove the gap between characters in these specific instances. If anyone wants to help, the first screen is taken from the beginning of Chapter 1 in the game, so from the beginning of Chapter 1 (after the prologue), just by pressing A through the dialogue and then clicking the first icon to talk to the first character two times in a row will get you to that first screen. I can provide a complete Desmume save so you can skip to Chapter 1 if needed.June 28, 2010
As you can see by this image, new font has been added. Due to problems with VWF hack, this is just fixed-width with two-character combinations.June 2, 2010
Progress has begun smoothly with text translations and graphics. However, we still need a VWF hack for English characters!Feb 7, 2009
So I have the game script ready for translation. Unfortunately the font is in tile format with four fonts on top of each other separated by palette, and are all fixed-width. There is no support for standard ASCII characters, only JASCII and other SJIS. If anyone would like to help get a VWF into the game I can get this project started.