News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out  (Read 67664 times)

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2010, 01:01:37 am »
It was built from the ground up. No ROM hack here.

Congratulations on your release Sivak! :beer:
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
I'm guessing there won't be a way to buy the rom,
for those of us who don't want to or can't get out the old NES anymore?
I know there's piracy risks...

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
But the point is I don't want to get my NES out but I still think the game is worth the money.
Even if the rom WILL be free at some point later.
Would it be possible in some way?
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:27 am »
I'd rather he did a version for XBLA or PSN, I'd buy it on either one of those no questions asked and so would quite a few other people most likely.

Sara-chan

• Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:40 am »
I'd rather he did a version for XBLA or PSN, I'd buy it on either one of those no questions asked and so would quite a few other people most likely.
Easier said than done. As someone who has experience with these parts of the game industry, trust me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:14:19 am by Sara-chan »
Isn't that crazy?

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »
Oh yeah obviously it's not that easy, but the novelty of this game seems like it could go a long way to getting some sort of support from a publisher who does XBLA/PSN stuff. I'm just impressed that this guy made a real game and not some half-assed Geometry Wars/Bejewled clone or some ultra simple piece of shit game that "games journalists" freak out about for 2 days then forget like 90% of the XBLA/PSN/homebrew crap. Hopefully he makes a decent amount of money off it.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2010, 04:46:53 am »
Quote from: Sara-chan link=topic=7751.msg156806#msg156806
But the point is I don't want to get my NES out but I still think the game is worth the money.
Would it be possible in some way?

Agreed. Is there anyway we could pay you for a copy of the ROM?

moderator edit: fixed the quote tag.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:42:55 pm by Lenophis »
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:45 am »
Agreed. Is there anyway we could pay you for a copy of the ROM?

This was answered a page or two back:
The rom is 256 kb.  I still have 80 or so kb to work with too.  :)

Regarding rom distribution, I'm planning to just make the roms to my older games be freeware by the end of this year.  This game will probably follow suit later on.

The guy who makes the games actually binds me by contract saying not to give out rom copies.  Kinda silly-sounding, but that's the way he does it.  This way we both get paid.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:57 pm »
ScrewAttack is doing a live twitter play of this game right now.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:47 pm »
I've checked all those videos on youtube, and that small one on screwattack, and I've also played the demo.

Well, all I can say is that I really enjoyed it a lot. The tension was very high while playing, especially against the boss. It was really exciting, a lot of fun, and the musics fit well with that. It felt like playing something similar to Mega Man in a lot of aspects, except faster.
So yeah, I really liked it a lot.

I was thinking of buying it, but then I read here that eventually there will be a rom avalaible so yeah, now I'll have to think about it...

One thing that bothers me though is how some sounds are "borrowed" from other games. For example, the sound of the menu popping up (1:47 on the small video at screwattack http://screwattack.com/videos/Quick-Look-At-Battle-Kid-Fortress-Of-Peril) is from Shadow Of The Ninja (aka Blue Shadow aka Kage), and some other sounds seem to directly come from the Mega Man games.
I also think the look of the character is a double-edged sword. Sure it's helping to make the game famous (considering the success of IWBTG), but on the other hand it forces people to make a comparaison with IWBTG, and make it look like "just IWBTG for the NES" (I heard some people say that). It's a real shame because Battle Kid has its own personality, spirit, and the gameplay has very little to do with IWBTG when you start to look into it. It makes Battle Kid seem to be in the shadow of IWBTG while it could have stood on its own.

But anyway like I said, those are more like nitpicks, overall I REALLY enjoyed the demo a lot and I'm considering buying it (had you not told about the rom I would have probably ordered it already). Keep up the good work, it feels good to see some other NES fanatics.

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11:24 pm »
One thing that bothers me though is how some sounds are "borrowed" from other games. For example, the sound of the menu popping up (1:47 on the small video at screwattack http://screwattack.com/videos/Quick-Look-At-Battle-Kid-Fortress-Of-Peril) is from Shadow Of The Ninja (aka Blue Shadow aka Kage), and some other sounds seem to directly come from the Mega Man games.

The Shadow of the Ninja thing wasn't intended.  I haven't played that game since back in the day, so I had to look at it again and after looking, it's not really the same sounds.  Similar, sure, but not the same.

The "Mega Man" ones were changed in the final version.  Namely the enemy shooting and invincible enemy sound.  The disappearing block one also changed to be a bit more unique.

I also think the look of the character is a double-edged sword. Sure it's helping to make the game famous (considering the success of IWBTG), but on the other hand it forces people to make a comparaison with IWBTG, and make it look like "just IWBTG for the NES" (I heard some people say that).

The look was intended and I got full permission from Kayin to use a sprite that's similar.  He's actually going to get a copy of the game when the next batch comes in.  :)

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:30 am »
The Shadow of the Ninja thing wasn't intended.  I haven't played that game since back in the day, so I had to look at it again and after looking, it's not really the same sounds.  Similar, sure, but not the same.

Sorry, my mistake then. Actually I was so sure it was the same sound that I didn't bother comparing.

thebigstar

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2010, 03:05:36 am »
FINALLY!! NYA HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Child Eating Lotus - 19
Battle Kid - 1!

I nearly bit the dust twice on that last battle there, and at that point I was going to start cheating and using savestates! Phew well I got to avoid that and save my pride... Well except for the feeling that I got BK killed like 19 times, not including what it took to get to the boss.

Great game though, got my adrenal pumping, this game probably cures ADD :D

Waiting for the FULL game w/box and manual! Signature would be nice for the first 100 copies sold..... *whistle whistle*

Stryfe

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »
Why would the rom be 'free', unless the developer released it as freeware?

I'm not arguing semantics, but just saying that illegally downloaded games are not 'free' per se.

Sara-chan

• Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:54 pm »
Why would the rom be 'free', unless the developer released it as freeware?

I'm not arguing semantics, but just saying that illegally downloaded games are not 'free' per se.
Regarding rom distribution, I'm planning to just make the roms to my older games be freeware by the end of this year.  This game will probably follow suit later on.
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with semantics OR illegally downloaded games.
Isn't that crazy?

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »
http://screwattack.com/videos/How-Many-Lives-Battle-Kid-1

It's too bad most people don't have a NES anymore to play the hard copy.  A ROM certainly would make the game easily distributed, but would certainly make less money.  It would be great if the wii or xbla picked it up or somthing.

MutantBuster

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:55 am »
Yea dude if this is that good, you should inquire with nintendo about releasing it on the Virtual Console

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
http://screwattack.com/videos/How-Many-Lives-Battle-Kid-1

It's too bad most people don't have a NES anymore to play the hard copy.  A ROM certainly would make the game easily distributed, but would certainly make less money.  It would be great if the wii or xbla picked it up or somthing.
http://screwattack.com/videos/How-Many-Lives-Battle-Kid

Don't forget the first one.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

twipley

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »
I am currently playing the demo under Nestopia... it rocks. Honestly, beats every other NES game in my own opinion, especially the other Rockmans.

Besides outstanding gameplay, the question I had in mind is what NTSC filter was this game designed to be played in? The RGB one looks nice. Sivak, do not tell me this was designed to be played in the "standard" mode! I wouldn't believe you. ;)

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:10 pm »
Uh what?  I don't think I even cared or took note about that at all.

twipley

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »
Hmm.

If you intended people to play this exclusively on the NES while designing, then the answer might be composite. If, on the other hand, you designed through DVI cables on your LCD monitor, the answer may lean more towards the standard, non-NTSC filter. But, perhaps I am embarrassing myself with a no-question, as an objective answer may not exist.

It more or less depends on what you had in mind while designing, I guess.

I was inspired by this while posting: http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html