News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out  (Read 67657 times)

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
Re: Video demos of my homebrew platformer "Battle Kid"
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 01:35:54 am »
Hey guys.  I'm back with a public demo rom for you to play!

http://www.nintendoage.com/media/_usermedia/attachments/BK%2Ddemo1%2Ezip

Hopefully the link works okay...  You can check out the first area and first boss.  The game resets after beating it.

Intentional things:  Game over doesn't show a password nor does it let you pick the End option.

Have fun.  Blah blah.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:34:36 pm by Sivak »

Lindblum

• Sometimes... Sometimes the diaper leaks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 04:01:19 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 04:23:38 pm »
Awesome. I'll play it soon.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Video demos of my homebrew platformer "Battle Kid" & demo rom
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 11:08:59 pm »
I actually ran this last night. Other than one or two unforgiving rooms it's a lot of fun. It's definitely tough. Punishing, even. Actually, I think "punishing" is a great term for it - it expects you to go through certain rooms in certain ways, and when you do it's fairly straightforward, or dare I say simple? A great way to show this is to play the demo twice. It literally took me dozens of lives to make it to the first continue point after the beginning the first time I tried it; the second time, it only took two or three. If that. I forget.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:36 pm »
Hit boxes seem to be too large. I will not be touching an enemy, yet still die. This takes away the possibility of multiple solutions for the same puzzles :(. If the hit boxes were tweak this game might be some thing i would play for fun :)

P.S. Why have ALL the enemies respawn once you leave the screen. It prevents and removes the desire of exploration. It is a nice game with good character control, but is really geared to hardcore gamers and not casual gamers like me. Maybe add a selectable difficulty with smaller hit boxes or no respawning enemies, so you can reach a broader gaming audience.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:18:53 pm by Tater Bear »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:39 pm »
This game is beyond awesome. Though, I wish the demo would've included an item or two.

It certainly is punishing, though. I had to use save-states for that boss. But like Gid said, if I played it again, I would likely do alot better. It's like an oldschool MM game, takes lots of pattern-learning to beat it.

~DS

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:05 am »
This game is beyond awesome. Though, I wish the demo would've included an item or two.

Hm...  how would you like to rom hack the demo?   8)  That's what the site is called.  I DID leave the item pickup code in there.  Here's a quick thing you can do to change the item you obtain at the beginning:

Using a hex editor, scroll down to offset 15A10 and you should see 69,12.  This is the coordinate display item that is found at the start.  If you want to see the other items, change the "12" to one of the following:

00 - Key #1 (note: Accessing blocked off rooms will most likely glitch the game out)
02 - Key #2 (The other keys don't have any use for what's seen in the demo...)
04 - Key #3
06 - Key #4
08 - Feather fall
0A - Double jump
0C - High jump
0E - Infinite O2 (There's no water, so this won't do much for you)
10 - Super bullets (acts as double damage; This is going to be renamed "Damage Amp")
12 - Coordinate display

Any other values will likely glitch out.  Have fun.

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:43 pm »
Intense!  Can't wait to buy the full version.

I had the game lock up on me once, though.  It was room 15:03, I think (the one with the two flying things that shoot 3 fireballs at you).  I had died (yet again) and was already tapping start to get through the continue screen.  It froze up and never went to the continue screen.  I tried a couple more times to make it happen, but to no avail.  I was playing it on a toaster NES using the PowerPak.

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2009, 11:59:45 pm »
Wait?  You seriously got a crash?  Can you describe what happened for it?

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2009, 12:44:14 am »
I forget what actually stayed on screen.  I'm pretty sure it kept showing the level and the music was stopped.  I could be wrong on those details, though.

I'm fairly certain I was mid-jump off of the ice block and was hit by one of the lower flying thing's fireballs (since that's how I usually died in that room).  I probably also killed the lower flying thing just before it killed me.  Don't know if any of that helps you out.

edit: I tried it again using the Advantage's slow-motion feature (which is just an automatic rapid-fire start button).  I killed myself in that room over and over again and it never locked up.  I don't know what caused it.  (on a related note, the slow-motion feature works beautifully with the demo, unless you're prone to epileptic seizures).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:18:00 am by UglyJoe »

AngryRobotsInc

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:11 pm »
Hm...  how would you like to rom hack the demo?   8)  That's what the site is called.  I DID leave the item pickup code in there.  Here's a quick thing you can do to change the item you obtain at the beginning:

Using a hex editor, scroll down to offset 15A10 and you should see 69,12.  This is the coordinate display item that is found at the start.  If you want to see the other items, change the "12" to one of the following:

I don't know if it's just the ROM I downloaded, but that offset wasn't the right one. I found 69,12 at 15B50, rather than 15A10. And yeah, grabbing the #1 key glitches the game out. If you drop down the one corridor between two #1 locks, it drops you in the middle of a ceiling.  :laugh:

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »
I had already packed my NES by the time you posted that ROM, so I need to wait until 9/1 to play. :-o this really sucks... but it will be worth the wait.

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:22 pm »
Hey all, check the first post.  I have a fifth video showing the intro scenes to the game.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 07:01:06 pm »
Please, for the love of Pete, use a full English font. Including left and right single and double quotation marks.

I THOUGHT WE WERE IN AN ERA WHERE THIS WAS UNACCEPTABLE.

*ahem*

And you switch between two styles of text during the cutscene. You should try and be consistent.

Person: Text
             More text

and

Person: Text
  More text

I personally think the second one is better. It'll also give you more space on the screen to use for text.

Also, on the title screen, are those two t's in "Battle" supposed to be joined together? I suggest putting a small space there, it looks kinda weird.

Other than that, looks great, and I can't wait to play the full thing.

~DS

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2009, 01:50:33 pm »
Wow! Checked out the videos and it looks like fun! (Like Legacy of the Wizard.)
I looked at the video #2 and the falling fruit enemies are a very creative idea. Just two artistically related things: on the next few screens there is just a plain blue sky for a background. Is it possible to add a background containing clouds, with warm tones like pink or orange to offset some of the blue?  Also, the font may look better if it is wider. Great work!  :thumbsup:

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2009, 12:56:53 am »
I like the different difficulty levels. The womans boobs could be fixed a bit to look more natural  :P. Great Job on a original release BTW!!! Get a Chinese company to do the publishing, so we can get a good price. lol.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »
FINALLY had a chance to play this on my powerpak. Two minor things I've noticed in my 15 minutes of gameplay thus far.
  • Hit monsters don't really flash much, so its sometimes dificult to see if you've actually hit them if you have the sound down/off. This was particular unhelpful with the eye monsters on the fourth or fifth screen.
  • the coordinate display may need some retooling. The colon separating the two numbers at first made me think it was a time display. Perhaps a dash or slash or a dot would work better?

edit:
beat the demo this morning. very nice. I'm glad there's no counter to let you know how many times you continued as I would probably be embarrassed by the number. punishing indeed. never had any freeze ups or anything.

I did notice that some of the sound effects are hard to hear over the music (the jumping sound for example). Also, do you plan on coding a "stop running" routine when your character is pressed against a wall?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:01:51 pm by Neil »

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2009, 01:27:08 am »
To address points:

Coordinate display now has a comma.
Running against the wall is intentional.
I don't really have problems with the sounds.  The jump sound isn't an important one, really...  Some games don't even have jump sounds.   8)

Sivak

• View Profile
    • Sivak Games
My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:13 am »
Hey all.  I know a few on this site were interested in this.  The project is finally done and out.

Here's a link:
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=86

It's been out since Monday.  I figured a new post was better than digging up that old demo thread.

That's all I got.  :)

Pattywick

• You still look like this in the mirror, RHDN.
    • View Profile
Re: My NES homebrew game, "Battle Kid" is out
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2010, 12:59:36 am »
I'm curious, did you actually make this from scratch, or is it an extensive ROMhack of an existing game?