News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project  (Read 94911 times)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2016, 10:23:59 am »
I'd assume it was preferred since it's an obvious play on the line "ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee" from Meditation XVII by John Donne, which itself was used by Hemmingway as a title of a book, both easily recognized by English readers.

Presuming you know the reference--that the funeral bell does not toll for an individual but marks a loss to the community--it's obvious that the spring bell is the inversion, restoring not one frog but all.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2016, 11:17:47 am »
because this is a fan translation, not a localization. People are fans of the material in its original form and don't want localization changes made.
"For the Frog The Bell Tolls" is overwhelming preferred not because people are used to hearing that, but indeed because it is a literal translation.

Please keep the original title, even if it's only as an alt ips patch.

The original translation is already out.

Unless the admins here would replace it with the newer patch (something highly unlikely considering the original translator isn't really involved and this is a rewrite by someone illiterate in Japanese), the old translation is safe.
Just like FF6's retranslation wasn't replaced by the "Woosley compromise" patches, or Mother 3's translation wasn't replaced by that one "rewrite" patch, or that Secret of Mana rewrite.

Adding to what you said about the Japanese title, Hemmingway's book For Whom The Bell Tolls is known in Japan as "Dare Ga Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru" (a question: dare = who?), and the GBC game is "Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru" (its answer, keeping the exact same sentence structure). I'm of the opinion that "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" keeps this aspect, ironically more than NoA's more desperate attempt to keep the book reference in full at the cost of the JP meaning and the subtle balance.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:06 am »
because this is a fan translation, not a localization. People are fans of the material in its original form and don't want localization changes made.
"For the Frog The Bell Tolls" is overwhelming preferred not because people are used to hearing that, but indeed because it is a literal translation.

Please keep the original title, even if it's only as an alt ips patch.

Yet you are happy with the name Dr. Knitt Witt? Sure, I am proposing the title is localised (VERY subtly and according to what Nintendo have actually called it). But I am also proposing that the name of the scientist is restored to a more literal translation, a name that you don't seem to be complaining about...

The original version isn't being overwritten (as far as I know). So there really is no need to complain. If you want the material in its original form, play it in Japanese... if all the dialogue was literal word for word it would be broken English.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. I just don't see why people prefer the "original" title when it was NEVER called that by Nintendo. And the Dr. Knitt Witt thing makes it seem like double standards (hence why I am a little upset)

schtolteheim

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Dr. Knitt Witt may not be a remarkably clever choice for a name, but your suggestion is no better fit. The original name being Arewostein (phonetically) was supposed to be an allusion to -- I assume -- Einstein (who was no inventor or engineer, but still). Whatever actual meaning the pun has to a Japanese person is the most unimportant thing in this translating matter. The point was to distort a famous name to funny effect. It would be hard to replicate that in English in the same way, it seems the language doesn't lend itself as well.
If he had a name in Wario Land 4 that one would be the best choice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:28:34 pm by schtolteheim »

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2016, 09:39:23 pm »
Dr. Knitt Witt may not be a remarkably clever choice for a name, but your suggestion is no better fit. The original name being Arewostein (phonetically) was supposed to be an allusion to -- I assume -- Einstein (who was no inventor or engineer, but still). Whatever actual meaning the pun has to a Japanese person is the most unimportant thing in this translating matter. The point was to distort a famous name to funny effect. It would be hard to replicate that in English in the same way, it seems the language doesn't lend itself as well.
If he had a name in Wario Land 4 that one would be the best choice.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Arewo_Shitain-hakase
> "Arewo Shitain" is a pun on are o shitai, meaning "I want to do that!"

If someone can come up with a similar English pun in the same spirit? Horrible example, but best I could think of was "Dr. Hank Herring". (Hankering => Want => Strong Desire)

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:04 pm »
The original name doesn't sound natural, so I wouldn't worry too much about coming up with a perfect name.
Something obvious and silly (like "Lier X. Agerate") could work. Dr. Datail Do, Dr. Aildo Itt, Dr. Iwana Dodat or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:21:37 pm by toruzz »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:21 pm »
Dr. Datotter Dewitt?

...yeah, I'm terrible at names.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2016, 12:57:34 am »
Dr. Wanna DeWitt.
Part of me would even be tempted to say "Professor" if that weren't so long.
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »
My suggestion was Dr. Ivan Douthat or Dr. Ivan T. Douthat. Both Ivan and Douthat being realistic as names. Someone mentioned that it may be too long and to introduce him as Ivan Douthat and then call him Dr. Douthat from then on.

mutawarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2016, 12:03:51 pm »
Yet you are happy with the name Dr. Knitt Witt?

I'm curious, when is he ever called Knitt Witt in the translation? I see a lot of people calling him that in this thread and it's confusing me. I know it's a departure from Dr. Arewo Stein, but I played the translation dozens of times and he's called Dr. Ivan Knit in it. I never saw him called Knitt Witt in the dialogue or anywhere else other than on Wikipedia for some reason, so I don't understand where Knitt Witt comes from. I do think it would have been a better name to have given him as a joke/pun name compared to Ivan Knit if it had to be changed. I know Dr. Knit does call the Prince a nitwit when he refers to the Hyper Glove as the Work Glove.

I'm surprised he's not being called Dr. Ian Stein or Dr. Ivan Stein in this new project. Or if the name is to be kept true to the translation of Arewo Shitain, he can be given a middle initial and called Dr. Ivan A. Dootat/Doodat/D'Outat/etc.

EDIT: Oh I just read what you said above with the T. Yes the T middle initial sounds nice too. Maybe the T can stand for Toto ;)

April 26, 2016, 12:19:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
What's up Muta, thought I'd find you here :P

Hey Mist When is your version of this game, For Oden's Knee The Bell Tolls coming out? :P

April 26, 2016, 12:22:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
and the GBC game is "Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru"

I thought the GBC version Unseen64 shows was ruled out as a hoax. Or was there a canceled prototype that Nintendo was planning on releasing at one time?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:22:46 pm by mutawarrior »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:34 pm »
I thought the GBC version Unseen64 shows was ruled out as a hoax. Or was there a canceled prototype that Nintendo was planning on releasing at one time?

GBC version had a legit announcement from Nintendo (like Metroid 2, Mega Man V, Densetsu no Stafy...)
It was Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru DX.
Anounced around 2000~2001.
Slated for February 2002, 3800 Yen, back-up memory and all.

The very cheap yet more powerful WonderSwan Color came and the GBA was rushed to the market (kind of like DS was in response to the PSP in 2004), and as a result Nintendo cancelled a ton of GBC/IR-addon projects, including this game.
So in the end only the Nintendo Power 2000 rerelease of the monochrome original happened.

However what's established is that none of the four or five screenshoots circulating in most Western (and even Japanese!) coverage of the DX version's announcement originated actually from Nintendo (aside from the title screen which is the only one technically possible with the GBC's palette limitations, though not proven to be legit either).

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2016, 09:35:39 pm »
I'm curious, when is he ever called Knitt Witt in the translation? I see a lot of people calling him that in this thread and it's confusing me.

Because I trusted the goddamn internet :'( I haven't finished the game yet, far from it. Dr. Ivan Knit isn't nearly as bad, kind of like "I want it". Actually it's funny that I came up with the name Ivan completely independently (I honestly had no idea). So what do we reckon, Ivan Knit or Ivan T. Douthat. I kind of like the middle initial thing now because it's like Lier X. Agerate and is closer to "I want to do that" rather than "I want it". Also I kind of like the sound of Dr. Douthat more than Dr. Knit.

Honestly this has changed my opinion on the patch, there I was thinking they had chosen Knitt Witt because I trusted wikis... I feel like a dope... still think the title should be The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls though as it is the only officially translated part of the game we have. As well as Sable with the accent Sablé

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:48 pm »
The official translation spells "Sable" with the accent so people will know it's pronounced sab-lay as opposed to say-bull.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:41 am »
and the GBA was rushed to the market
I'm sure I read rumors of "Project Atlantis" in a magazine in 1996-1997 which sure sounded like the GBA (32-bit, 4 buttons).
I think Nintendo mostly indirectly confirmed it a few years ago when they released photos of a GBA SP prototype from "the mid 90s".
My guess is the GBA was the real successor and the GBC was a stopgap to keep the WS/NGP mono/color down.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:54 pm »
My guess is the GBA was the real successor and the GBC was a stopgap to keep the WS/NGP mono/color down.

Considering the GBC is pretty much just a Game Boy Pocket with color graphics, more graphics RAM, and (optionally) a faster processor, that seems much more likely.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:29 am »
This is correct. The GameBoy Color was created as an intermediate system while development of the GBA came along and processor prices fell.

Also 1996's Pocket Monsters games proved enormously popular in Japan, and when they came to the west two years later, they gave GameBoy sales a huge boost and were a major reason for the success of the GameBoy Color.

I'm very fond of the GBC - more so than other other Nintendo handheld. With color, it finally really did realize the dream of having a portable NES. Games like Zelda DX and R-Type DX were great early titles, and the system had probably the best swan song of any console ever in the form of the original Shantae. I've been a huge fan of that series since 2002 and it's so gratifying to see that series finally find a large audience.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2016, 10:39:11 am »
Is anyone still working on this?  :-\

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »
Is anyone still working on this?  :-\

Isn't it finished already?

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »
I am referring to the updated patch. Ryan came back, said he would release it, then disappeared again and no update... Artemis have you spoken to him?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:55 pm »
I wonder if this translation got finished or not.

Or if it's compatible with @Toruzz Color Hack for the game.