News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project  (Read 96346 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2016, 09:40:56 pm »
Indeed. In American English, we do not use accents at all. Any foreign words adopted into American English will be spelled without accents.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2016, 07:13:49 am »
Mostly true. But there are exceptions: cafe, Pokemon (though on my phone I can't make the accented "e".

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2016, 11:40:02 am »
Mostly true. But there are exceptions: cafe, Pokemon (though on my phone I can't make the accented "e".

This, I will accept that naive can be spelt without the umlauts but Sablé is a place name and should be spelt with the accent. This is as it is spelt in the American translation by Sakurai. I don't think we should backtrack it now! The other typos have been corrected.

What is everyone's opinions on the Doctor's name, Knitt Witt? I still quite like a new name such as Dr. Ivan T. Douthat or simply Dr. Ivan Douthat or Dr. I. Douthat, any variation on that. Or sticking with the Japanese name Dr. Arewo Stein (but according to the mariowiki "Arewo Shitain" is a pun on are o shitai, meaning "I want to do that!" so it might be good to keep a similar pun in the translation rather than a seemingly random one).

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2016, 12:13:32 pm »
the American translation by Sakurai.

So many things I could say here. : P

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2016, 12:18:17 pm »
Oddly enough, Firefox' spell check accepts Pokémon both with and without the accent.
Considering that's a trademarked name, you would imagine The Pokémon Company request Mozilla change that if they were bothered by it.
(or unless they realize Americans aren't going to know how type it. I mean "hold Alt and type 0233" isn't the most common thing. I'm guessing in Europe they sell keyboards that make typing accents easier? Because in the US, outside of knowing the character code for the Alt+numpad entry, the only way to enter accented characters is to open Character Map (also something most computer users have probably never heard of :D ) and copy+paste.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »
So many things I could say here. : P

Haha, you know what I meant!

And KingMike, é is as simple as alt + e on a Mac, is it not the same in America? And I seem to remember it being easy on a Windows too but I haven't used one in some time. It was always the one that was easiest to type due to it being the most common. I still say Sablé being a place name makes it an exception and it was written like that in the Miiverse post.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:06 pm »
It's not that easy, but it is ALT+0233 which isn't too hard to remember imo

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2016, 01:25:26 pm »
This, I will accept that naive can be spelt without the umlauts but Sablé is a place name and should be spelt with the accent. This is as it is spelt in the American translation by Sakurai. I don't think we should backtrack it now! The other typos have been corrected.

What is everyone's opinions on the Doctor's name, Knitt Witt? I still quite like a new name such as Dr. Ivan T. Douthat or simply Dr. Ivan Douthat or Dr. I. Douthat, any variation on that. Or sticking with the Japanese name Dr. Arewo Stein (but according to the mariowiki "Arewo Shitain" is a pun on are o shitai, meaning "I want to do that!" so it might be good to keep a similar pun in the translation rather than a seemingly random one).

I'm fine with spelling Sablé with the accent mark, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.

As for the doctor's name, I think Knitt Witt sounds better. I couldn't find anything in the game that would explain the original pun ("Arewo Shitain"), so I think it's just supposed to be a silly name. It's like naming a character "Seymour Butz" versus naming a law firm "Dewey, Cheatem & Howe." The first is just a silly name, but the second is a play on the stereotype of law firms cheating their clients.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

mutawarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:16 am »
Does anyone know if there's an official name given to the sword that the Prince of the Sable Kingdom starts with before getting the Bronze Sword?

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:48 pm »
FWIW, é is also ALT+130.

I agree that Knitt Witt is a better name, if only because 'I won't do that' doesn't really sound like it could be a silly name. I also keep reading 'Ivan T. Douthatt' as 'I want to do that', which is kind of the opposite of the intent, heh.

Also, where we at with who's doing what? I'm more than happy to put in the remaining changes, but I don't know who's working on what. Don't want duplicate efforts. I know the naming screen needs to be tuned up, but otherwise, what needs done?

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2016, 11:09:26 pm »
FWIW, é is also ALT+130.

I agree that Knitt Witt is a better name, if only because 'I won't do that' doesn't really sound like it could be a silly name. I also keep reading 'Ivan T. Douthatt' as 'I want to do that', which is kind of the opposite of the intent, heh.

Also, where we at with who's doing what? I'm more than happy to put in the remaining changes, but I don't know who's working on what. Don't want duplicate efforts. I know the naming screen needs to be tuned up, but otherwise, what needs done?

Haha, last time we spoke about it you said that Ivan Douthat could be read as "I won't do that" which wasn't my intent. THAT's why I added the T. Now you're saying the opposite :P Think you might be getting a tad confused, I definitely want it as "I want to do that", but this is only based on that tiny thing that the mariowiki said which may not even be accurate for all I know (maybe you could ask Tomato about that)

I think in terms of what needs doing, you said you would give the title another whirl, making it resemble the Japanese title more. Seems like ryan has returned so I feel like my job of resurrecting the project is more or less done and that maybe I should step down, not being a rom hacker myself anyway. But I am very interested in seeing the progress and of course the final result :)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2016, 10:20:40 am »
I changed the uppercase "F" on the word "for" to a lowercase "f". I made two versions of it, which one looks better?

This is the best I can do.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2016, 11:54:01 am »
The lowercase "t" should have a curved tail (a serif), mostly because it shouldn't look like a crucifix, but that's just me.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2016, 02:11:34 am »
I honestly still prefer the title "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" Please make an alt version that allows for that title. To me, it just sounds more natural and fitting to the Japanese name.

sub_atomic

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2016, 11:38:56 pm »
Just throwing my 2 cents in. I prefer "For Frog the Bells Tolls" - it's more poetic in its brevity. And alliterative also!

As for wine as an elixir, I believe that may be a reference to the historical fact that in the middle ages it was typically safer to drink wine than water. The boiling during beer/wine production killed e.coli and other germs in the water. (They had no concept of germs then, but they certainly knew that drinking river water could kill you.) Keep in mind that wine and beer consumed by most people 1,000 years ago in England and France was pretty weak compared to what we drink today. Your average beer would have been 0.2% ABV. For what it's worth...

mutawarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2016, 11:18:08 pm »
I honestly still prefer the title "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" Please make an alt version that allows for that title. To me, it just sounds more natural and fitting to the Japanese name.

Same here but not only do I think it sounds better, but like I said earlier, it's the literal translation of the official Japanese title and is accurate to the game because the new title that is being considered is only being done to make it more consistent with the novel the title is based on and consistent with what Sakurai called it.

In reality, what Sakurai called it is not accurate not only because it differs from the literal translation, but it also implies that the (Spring) bell tolls for a singular frog when in fact it tolls for all humans who were transformed into frogs.

I think they purposely left out the "Dare ni" from the Japanese title for this very reason. It's already obvious that the literal translation of the Japanese title is a reference to the novel. Adding words to the title that the creators of the game left out just to make it resemble the novel's title more makes it less accurate translation-wise and story-wise IMO.

I really hate when current Nintendo employees make ignorant statements about old works they had no role in whether or not they were with the company then. I remember Aonuma making an ignorant comment about rupees never being worth more in a Zelda than they would in A Link Between Worlds (as much as I love that game) prior to its release. If he ever fully played & beat the first Zelda (which I know he infamously said was too hard & never beat), he would know how much harder getting rupees in it were compared to all other Zeldas. Not to mention how fewer Moblin rupees there were in the 2nd quest, plus arrows using rupees, the 255 rupee carrying limit, and the old men charging you door repair fees in both quests and mugging you (forcing you to leave 50 rupees or a heart container) in the 2nd quest.

I'm grateful he brought back the Prince of the Sable Kingdom and created a 3d model of him, but I really wish he would refer to the game by its proper title. And I would love if the Kaeru franchise would be expanded into a multi-game series. I can't believe how no sequels were made given the quality of the original game. I say the same thing about Miyamoto's Mole Mania and the Star Tropics series. The late 80's & early-mid 90's were a very innovative time for Nintendo, especially what they did on the Game Boy. I sorely miss Gunpei Yokoi and his role back then, especially with Kaeru. Nintendo has been doing the same old crap for the last several years and if they were like they are now back then, this wonderful game would've never been made.

Anyway, until Nintendo releases a translated version of the game with a title different than the literal translation of the original game like Konami did with Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo when they released Rondo of Blood outside Japan years later, I really hope the translated title is kept the same for accuracy purposes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:27:34 pm by mutawarrior »

Leviathan Mist

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2016, 03:09:00 am »
What's up Muta, thought I'd find you here :P

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:11 am »
I don't know what to say guys... I still disagree with you all... Why anyone would want a straight up literal translation is beyond me. "only being done to make it more consistent with the novel the title is based on and consistent with what Sakurai called it". Yes, whereas sticking with "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" would only be because you've gotten used to that name. It IS an official localisation of the title whether you like it or not. Also, I think it suits the title screen much better! I don't think there is any difference with the quantity of frogs between titles, I have NO IDEA where you are getting that from.

I'm at a loss for words really, I find it impossible to argue with such flawed logic. "Nintendo has been doing the same old crap for the last several years and if they were like they are now back then, this wonderful game would've never been made." Okay... sure... if that's what you think

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2016, 06:28:11 pm »
If you think it's bad being a fan of FFtBT, try being a fan of the Panel de Pon fairies. No appearances - no real appearances, I like to pretend Planet Puzzle League doesn't exist - since 2003, a straight sequel is unlikely due to the juggernaut that is Puyo Puyo, and any opportunities for a non-puzzle spinoff are lost in a sea of Mario and Fire Emblem sequels (and Splatoon). At least the Prince of Sable is an assist trophy. Lip's got one item, one song... that's it.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2016, 04:58:06 am »
I don't know what to say guys... I still disagree with you all... Why anyone would want a straight up literal translation is beyond me.

because this is a fan translation, not a localization. People are fans of the material in its original form and don't want localization changes made.
"For the Frog The Bell Tolls" is overwhelming preferred not because people are used to hearing that, but indeed because it is a literal translation.

Please keep the original title, even if it's only as an alt ips patch.