News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project  (Read 94929 times)

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
Re: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 12:04:27 pm »
You just did it again. <_<

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »
The most recent translations I trusted (and still trust) were for the first few episodes of Game Center CX, located here. They sound so real:

-link removed-

RHDN should not be used as your vehicle to piracy. Any talk and/or hotlinking to illegal material, such as ROMs, ISOs, DVDRips, Animations doesn't belong here.

1983parrothead

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 02:42:30 am »
I apologize about that. I knew about ROMs and music, but I didn't know about television shows being posted in forums like this. Well, now I know.  :-[

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:42 am »
The rules were revised recently. You might want to take a look:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,370.0.html
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Aeronic

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »
so what is the status on the translation? I've seen footage of the game, and it looks to be alot of fun, but being a text heavy game I can't play it correctly without a translation. i wish you luck on it!

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 01:10:28 pm »
I'm also interested in this project's status. Has anyone tried to go further? I was thinking of taking a stab at it myself, but then I found that it's already in progress...I think?

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 02:22:57 pm »
I think the game is being translated ;)

ryanbgstl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »
Currently, Eien Ni Hen is working on the first draft of the script.  Most of the hacking work is done except for a few menus and of course the inevitable bugs that will be found when the full English script is actually inserted.

Hacking-wise, I believe inserted text can be at least as high of quality as Link's Awakening, if not more so.  Someone very skilled at assembly hacking could probably completely rewrite the text-drawing routines to allow for a lot more space or VWF, but I'm not really actively pursuing that at this time as I'm guessing that would be extremely difficult and the translation quality shouldn't be too limited by technical issues.  When the final version of the English patch is finished, I'll try to organize and release all of my notes and source code.

I'll be sure let everyone know if anything important happens.

Just tell all your friends about the game and how they are going to have to play it...until then, they can spend a few months trying to beat the bomb diffusion sequence in Policenauts...

Peyre

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 06:09:59 pm »
oh man i'm so glad theres actually something going on about this.
thanks for the update and the work of all people involved! :thumbsup:

Nugundam0079

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 03:48:27 pm »
I havent been back here since the summer! how goes the battle?

RustyJet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
hope you guys are still working on this project! if not can someone help me find the ROM to this game? i would love to at least play it for a while even if its in japanese.

also is this project going to be in color? i can understand if its not in color i just though it would be cool if it was just as if "we" fans were making a DX out of it lol.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »
As for color, I wouldn't count on it. It know it takes a rather large amount of work on top of the translation.

EDIT: I apologize if the last comment mislead anyone to believe I'm part of this project. I'm not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:54:00 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nuudoru

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:02 am »
I hope I'm not doing anything really stupid in my first post..

So.. Is this project still alive? I'm very interested in this game so it would be nice to know if I can look forward to it or just proceed with my crying to sleep.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:30 pm »
Read 5 posts Up and you'll get your answer.

ryanbgstl

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »
I figured more people have heard of this game than actually seen it, so I made a short video of the first few minutes of the work in progress patch:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaBHoN6GGo

There's still a lot of work left (especially with Text spacing), but things are progressing smoothly so far.

Karatorian

• "Gotta get get ... 6502"
    • View Profile
    • Studio Karatorian
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 01:48:35 am »
ryanbgstl, if you are going to translate this game, and if you see anything that sounds like profanity in it, please replace them with euphemism.
I'd just like to register extreem opposition to this suggestion. If you're going to translate something, translate it accurately. The last thing we need is more NoA-esque crap translations. (Not to mention the mangling done to much anime. Arg.)
Current ProjectsFinal Fantasy EngineSMB Special for NESStudio Karatorian
@loop: lda (src),y — sta (dst),y — iny — bne @loop — inc src+1 — inc dst+1 — dex — bne @loop

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
Though it would be more consistent with the release date of the game (if this game is to be considered related to Link's Awakening).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 03:57:20 am »
^Would say it'd be pretty neat if it maintained a somewhat authentic, "Licensed", feel through out the entire thing. Could indeed also be pretty neat if someone did the "DX" treatment later down the line too, but I guess there is still no simple and reliable way to do that (not to mention the additional time it'd take to assign each and every tile in the game with a new palette).

I figured more people have heard of this game than actually seen it, so I made a short video of the first few minutes of the work in progress patch:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaBHoN6GGo

Awesome to see you're still going strong on this one, by the way. Looking good!

How are you planning on tackling the jumbo font, by the way? Dunno how much the entire game uses it, but for the little tinkering I once did, I quickly tossed together huge squish-tiles to more or less make them very comic book-ish (POW!), but I guess if they appear too frequently (and in a wide variety of ways) there might not be enough space to do 'em all in such a way.

Either way, keep up the good work. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

ryanbgstl

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
The Jumbo text I haven't completely decided on yet, but I'm thinking of making it similar to what you did in your hacking experiments.  There should be enough space for the appropriate English letters that will be needed.

Also, I don't know why people keep talking about censorship,  there's not really much to censor, anyway.  Of the first 500 lines, I only saw maybe one or two that Nintendo would have had a problem with (other than some religious/spiritual sounding phrases too like "Holy Power").  I mean, most of the place names are types of dessert...

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 01:54:30 am »
Ah. Neat @ there being enough space for plenty o' jumbo font action.

I'm still not sure why people are so incredibly picky about the censorship topic. I guess it's the fact that the rating boards and publisher guidelines aren't breathing down someone's neck (when it comes to fan-translations) that makes people be so aggressive about things. Or maybe it's just that people don't like to embrace change or something...? So if they heard from a friend of a friend of a cow that spoke to a horse that once was a donkey who was phone that said the game originally dropped an f-bomb instead of a slightly more friendly and colorful "fiddlesticks" (which they got), they'll somehow feel "cheated" and almost like their trust's been violated and abused in broad daylight ... or something ... and thus feel entitled to get ... something back or some sort of compensation or maybe even a public apology...? (Beats me!)

Personally, as I said before, I prefer the slightly more authentic feel (while taking advantage of the time available to work on polishing things). If something is mainly intended for a specific target audience/platform, there's gotta be a good and justifiable reason for any straying away from the restrictions that comes with the target audience/platform.

Anyway, don't mind my random rambling about translation philosophies and stuff. :laugh: