News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project  (Read 96501 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Fan Translation Project
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 07:08:47 pm »
Conkers?  NOA doesn't really have to censor things anymore, many countries/regions have independent rating systems/groups.

Problem with the internets is it's hard to tell when someones joking, my apologies.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Camjo

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:25:00 pm »
I don't see why everyone keeps begging for there to be no profanity. Even if there is any, it was intended to be there in the first place and should therefore stay in.

BTW, I'm new (Haaaaaaaii~)

snatcher1996

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:51 pm »
I meant an actually Nintendo developed game. As far as I know Conker was developed by Rare. I can not think of any Nintendo developed game that had profanity or sexual content in it.
Wait... The overall excellent German translation of Link's Awakening suggests the use of condoms and has a scene where you can sneak up to a bare-breasted mermaid. All this is not present in the English version. I have no idea if it is in the original Japanese game. Interestingly Link's Awakening is the somewhat successor of Kaeru no Tame.
Anyway, I totally agree with Camjo.

justinterested

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:13:17 pm »
I know there was one scene in FFBT that the Prince was daydreaming about Tiramisu and then Richard shows up in his daydream.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:07 pm »
I meant an actually Nintendo developed game. As far as I know Conker was developed by Rare. I can not think of any Nintendo developed game that had profanity or sexual content in it.
Wait... The overall excellent German translation of Link's Awakening suggests the use of condoms and has a scene where you can sneak up to a bare-breasted mermaid. All this is not present in the English version. I have no idea if it is in the original Japanese game. Interestingly Link's Awakening is the somewhat successor of Kaeru no Tame.

Rare was Nintendo exclusive when Conker was being made, so, in a sense, it was Nintendo.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 12:13:42 am »
At first I read Navi's description of Jabu-Jabu's tentacles in OoT as "Testicle", and I still can't unsee it. :-[

(watch the fight and tell me it doesn't look suggestive)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:55 am »
Oof... and that level is already gross enough... *hurk*
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 05:12:37 pm »

Have you heard of the Wii game Captain Rainbow? It has a lot of sexual innuendo and probably profanity. And yes, it was made by Nintendo themselves.

snatcher1996

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »
No, frankly I never heard of that game.
All right, I guess we all agree, that Nintendo games, developed by Nintendo itself, not a Nintendo-exclusive developer, at least at the time that Kaeru saw the light of day could be categorized as child-friendly. Therefore, I don't particularly worry the translator will stumble over any foul language.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:23 am »
I am sorry to sound like I am beating a dead horse but, Nintendo of America had the guidelines no swearing, no alcohol, no tobacco, and so on. Granted for the most part the company was tame (particularly compared to today's games) but Japan did not have the same constrictions (or as we have discussed here before the same quirks we have in the United States)
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

justinterested

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
I sent you a message, I  had composed a list of all the item names and their description.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:04 am »
can someone tell me a little bit about the game please???

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »
Think of it as a spiritual prequel to Link’s Awakening, if you like. It actually has nothing to do with Zelda, it just happens to play sort of like it.

English Wikipedia has a short description of the game. It’s pretty in-depth considering how Wikipedia articles tend to be with non-English games.

J. Seleman

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:54 pm »
ryanbgstl:

I want to applaud your effort to translate this often overlooked game! :thumbsup: Kaeru is a nice title that deserves more recognition in the gaming community, and I think your project is a huge step in that direction. I've been hoping that Nintendo would one day release it for an English-speaking audience, but since that is unlikely to ever happen, a fan translation is the next best thing (Maybe better, given NOA's sometimes shoddy or vague translations.).

I will be regularly checking this forum to see how things progress!

1983parrothead

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »
Sometimes I don't trust translators.  One time I downloaded some subbed episodes of Sonic X, and some subtitles sounded like they were thrown in there for stupid comedic reasons.  Also, when I looked up the Shimajiro (or Pants Man) toilet training videos after I saw one of them on The Soup, the translations didn't sound accurate and included some stupid ones.

constraint

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 01:40:59 pm »
Sometimes I don't trust translators.  One time I downloaded some subbed episodes of Sonic X, and some subtitles sounded like they were thrown in there for stupid comedic reasons.  Also, when I looked up the Shimajiro (or Pants Man) toilet training videos after I saw one of them on The Soup, the translations didn't sound accurate and included some stupid ones.

First of all, nobody watches Sonic X, and your reasons aren't good enough to distrust "Bad" translators.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
First of all, nobody watches Sonic X, and your reasons aren't good enough to distrust "Bad" translators.
I watched it, so nyehhhh.

Besides, it’s true: some translators, even “professionals” make up BS and pass it off as if no-one will be the wiser. This tends to be the case with more throw-away media like 0-day subtitles and scanlations of the crappiest manga.

Rest assured, we don’t really appreciate that half-assed approach around here.

1983parrothead

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:50 pm »
I only watched the first few episodes of Sonic X, and then got bored of it.  I don't care for anything related to the Sonic series very much, due to seeing too many people making their own Sonic characters, while overusing Sonic in avatars, sigs, banners and other similar things.

Some translators don't have enough experience in reading Japanese and become too lazy to figure some of them out, while they decide to throw in some random things like "Get in my belly!", "You got owned!", "Hadouken-uh, I mean Aura Beam!" and other American pop cultural references.  I've seen some of this in one translation patch for Fire Emblem 6: The Binding Blade.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:01:47 pm by 1983parrothead »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 12:48:29 am »
What I don't get is... you pick a random fan translation project, bump with stuff unrelated to the topic, and then post pirated television?!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:17:54 am by I.S.T. »
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

1983parrothead

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:57 am »
What I don't get is... you pick a random fan translation project, bump with stuff unrelated to the topic, and then post pirated television?!

I didn't pick this fan translation project by random.  I'm a fan of Nintendo.  The stuff unrelated to this topic are meant to be used as examples, including the "pirated television" or whatever you call those fan translations of Game Center CX.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:03:01 pm by 1983parrothead »