News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Contra3 Editor  (Read 4322 times)

RedGuy

• View Profile
Contra3 Editor
« on: October 05, 2016, 12:14:11 am »
Konami used the same base engine for Contra3 (and Gradius3) as Castlevania4 so I started adding some support for C3 to the SCV4 editor.  The editor is not in a useable state, yet, as it takes a good amount of time to understand the differences between the games and find all the ROM addresses for various things.  I'd like to add support for basic event and scene/block/tile editing for the non-mode7 levels.  However, the development will be slow.  There's no usable editor to share right now, but people may want to take a look at the uncompressed tiles.  Here's a link to the utility that will expand a US ROM (1MB, CRC32 - 84DA7CFE).  The decompressed data can be found in the 2MB-4MB range.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qbmpRa2NpdlVqT0E/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:36:27 pm by RedGuy »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Contra3 Editor
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:33:57 am »
I hope this don't hurt progress on the cv iv editor tho. But the contra 3 thing should be good too.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:50:59 am »
I would love to see a gradius III editor!  :crazy:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:55:42 am »
I don't wanna get too off topic, but I really wanna see your editors get to 1.0 so they can be hosted on the site so people that don't frequent the forums might get to editing the games you are making editors for.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:36:16 pm »
I'm just happy he starts/works on so many editors.

YOO  CAIN DOO EET!  :woot!:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:10 pm »
Contra 3 is another classic tho. I'd love to see a hack of it.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »
I'm just happy he starts/works on so many editors.

YOO  CAIN DOO EET!  :woot!:

I hope someday to see a Dracula X Snes Editor some day. Editing Dracula's Room of pitfalls would be nice.  :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 05:25:07 am »
O wow, I didn't even consider that. Definately, yes! I'd love to make that game easier!

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qRDZCMXl0MjhXWTA/view?usp=sharing

Added basic tile, block and scene editing support
Added initial event editor.

Stage 1, 3, 4, and 6 will load up with varying graphics problems - more in the later stages.  The problem appears to be that the game reloads most/all tiles in VRAM to transition to bosses and mini bosses.  So the editor would need a way to support this probably through some keys to toggle between those transitions.

The tile, block, and scene editing is mostly untested.  I was able to make some basic changes to stage1.

Unfortunately, the events work completely different than SCV4.  You can't add or delete them, yet, but you can change some basic position and type parameters.  For example, Id=$F are the drops and for SubIds, $1=spread, $2=crush,$6=invincible bubble, $7=bomb, etc.  There are lots of custom events and the game is heavily scripted in parts.  Stage4 seems to be completely scripted and doesn't have individual events (or they are stored and executed differently).  The events look like they are grouped into $100 pixel wide groups and in the ROM are stored as relative positions to that.  The position of the scene is added to the xpos to make the absolute value shown in the editor.  The relative position of the event (negative vs positive) can determine which side of the screen it spawns on.  How exactly the events work is still a mystery, but it's possible to make some basic changes now with trial and error.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »
That's pretty cool. I hope you get the overhead levels editable eventually. Kinda have those levels memorized so being able to mix it up would be nice.

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 03:34:14 pm »
Good work, i support it, continue working on thaT!

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »
Hey, guys!

Talking about hacking Contra III, is it possible to eradicate the top-view mode7 levels completely from the ROM? Those are
the mos useless crap levels ever created on a Contra game. I really would like to zap permanently those 2 levels and really enjoy Contra III with passion.

Regards,
C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 04:21:17 pm »
Hey, guys!

Talking about hacking Contra III, is it possible to eradicate the top-view mode7 levels completely from the ROM? Those are
the mos useless crap levels ever created on a Contra game. I really would like to zap permanently those 2 levels and really enjoy Contra III with passion.

Regards,
C.

I imagine there might be a way to skip those levels if the post-level transfers are an evented thing or something.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!