News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Site: Revised RHDN Policy  (Read 71158 times)

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
Re: Site: Revised RHDN Policy
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2008, 01:41:22 am »
4. Allow unconditional deletion for any reason EXCEPT explicitly spelled out invalid reasons (yet to be written out)

I think this is the best solution. It's nice to have things spelled out.

6. All deletion request must go to community vote to determine reasoning validation and approval! This would be interesting.

I do agree that this would be interesting, but it'd be hard to come up with a system that is both fair and easy to implement.
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2008, 04:23:41 am »
The Well-timed idea! Well that you this has done...

6. All deletion request must go to community vote to determine reasoning validation and approval! This would be interesting.

And as this will work?  :huh:
I not the wizard, I only study...

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:05 am »
1. A leniency period (to be determined) for unconditional removal after which the new policy stands -Deathlike2
This sounds best. Give a password and a week to delete you files after that its perma there.
Really no matter the system I think we should at least put something like this in place.

InVerse

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:05 am »
Okay, I have the absolute best solution.

Any file can be deleted by anyone IF they donate $500 to a charity to be determined by the "community". Anyone else can re-add that same file if they donate an amount equal to the deletion fee + an additional $250. Then anyone else can delete said file for an amount equal to the addition fee + $250. If a war breaks out over a particular file, we could end up funding a cure for cancer!

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:30 am »

Any file can be deleted by anyone IF they donate $500 to a charity to be determined by the "community". Anyone else can re-add that same file if they donate an amount equal to the deletion fee + an additional $250. Then anyone else can delete said file for an amount equal to the addition fee + $250. If a war breaks out over a particular file, we could end up funding a cure for cancer!

I like this alternative. :laugh:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2008, 12:01:47 pm »

I like this alternative. :laugh:

I hate to see the complaints being "I can't pay for removal/readding" the file from/to RHDN.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

InVerse

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2008, 01:31:50 pm »
I hate to see the complaints being "I can't pay for removal/readding" the file from/to RHDN.

Those people would be flamed for refusing to help their fellow man and damned to hell for their selfishness!

It's like Chris Rock's old take on gun control. Let everyone have guns but make bullets $5,000 each. If someone gets shot, they probably deserved it.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2008, 01:48:30 pm »
I don't care if you are being sarcastic, but I really hate the fact that those in control are those with the money.

"It's not that much money!"

Then by all means, share the wealth.

1. A leniency period (to be determined) for unconditional removal after which the new policy stands -Deathlike2
2. Full user controlled deletion. Users can delete any work submitted at any time themselves. -Disch
3. Complete unconditional deletion for any reason at any time must stand. -InVerse
4. Allow unconditional deletion for any reason EXCEPT explicitly spelled out invalid reasons (yet to be written out) based on the aforementioned problematic reasons in the first post of this topic.
5. Allow unconditional deletion for ONLY reasons explicitly spelled out as valid reasons (yet to be written out) based on the aforementioned problematic reasons in the first post of this topic.
7. Keep things as they are proposed currently.
Assuming there is a change, I personally like numbers 5 and 6.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2008, 04:01:02 pm »
Can the charity be me? :D.

InVerse

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2008, 05:35:38 pm »
Can the charity be me? :D.

Sure, but we'll have to give you AIDS.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2008, 06:20:03 pm »
@InVerse:
That's the most twisted observation of progressive mentality that I've seen.

I can tell you're the very desire self-conscious type who likes to rely on impulse.... In any case, your problem with Nightcrawler is that you and he are what people who study the socionics theory of relationships call "quasi-identicals". Your relation can be broken down into two parts, a "contrary" relation based on erroneous projections of intention, and a "mirror" relation in which the partners tend to pick up on the negative connotations of each the other's arguments. What this means, when both relations are together considered, is that the two of you are interpreting each other's arguments as matters of belief -- which they are not -- and observing the negative aspects of these "beliefs" besides. It's an endless cycle of misinterpretation of basis which creates a nearly impenetrable wall of misunderstanding.

My advice is to find common ground in a mutual goal and agree to work independently, without even proposing unification of efforts. I've got friends who I have this relation with and their arguments get more difficult to understand the more I study them; and I feel that I must study them because from the get-go I get a negative impression. Fortunately we have shared beliefs and can agree to state solidarity of intention if not intention to collaborate.

Because Nightcrawler is on the more social side of the spectrum and you're on the more... shall we say anti-social side (and psychologists do use that term) the misunderstandings are even worse: you're want to see the very worst in each other, and that's troubling. My advice to you, InVerse, is to ask yourself how much you really want to gain from the community over the long term. Nightcrawler is defending the interests of himself and his staff, and a lot of people are looking at him and saying to themselves "if I support Nightcrawler now, then when I'm in a similar position I can take the same kind of stance without facing social ostracism from anyone". That means they see it in their interest to support him over you. Is it really in your self-interest to try hurting the community, and risk demonization? Do you really want that, because you have a choice over whether you do or do not face it.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
I never thought I'd see the day when teh scene had its own shrink. I'll be damned. :huh:

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »
I never thought I'd see the day when teh scene had its own shrink. I'll be damned. :huh:

No, the guy overthinks stuff, to no end and to incomprehensive babel.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:44 pm »
I think the whole shrink thing is kind of funny.

Anyway, I've got a suggestion along the lines of something InVerse might have suggested. If someone wants something to be removed from the site, turn the process into a bureaucratic process. That is create a form for them fill out and make sure it is an ardous task. When and if the form is finished charge them a nominal fee. Something along those lines. I think it would discourage people from actually getting stuff removed from the site due to the effort and time it would take, but it wouldn't stop them.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2008, 06:49:28 pm »

Over-think... is that like double-think?

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »

Over-think... is that like double-think?

Kinda, but it's more confusing and Oceania doesn't have it trademarked.

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2008, 08:25:45 pm »
We've had one for years, he just never says anything. :P
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »
Here's a solution: require takedown notices as specified by the DMCA; those are the only variety you're legally compelled to obey under current US law.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2008, 10:18:59 pm »
Here's a solution: require takedown notices as specified by the DMCA; those are the only variety you're legally compelled to obey under current US law.
If we followed the law we wouldn't be hosting translations or patches. Really this site is not legally compelled to do anything once it hosts something. This is all an issue of respect not the law.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2008, 12:10:45 am »
@InVerse:
That's the most twisted observation of progressive mentality that I've seen.

I can tell you're the very desire self-conscious type who likes to rely on impulse.... In any case, your problem with Nightcrawler is that you and he are what people who study the socionics theory of relationships call "quasi-identicals". Your relation can be broken down into two parts, a "contrary" relation based on erroneous projections of intention, and a "mirror" relation in which the partners tend to pick up on the negative connotations of each the other's arguments. What this means, when both relations are together considered, is that the two of you are interpreting each other's arguments as matters of belief -- which they are not -- and observing the negative aspects of these "beliefs" besides. It's an endless cycle of misinterpretation of basis which creates a nearly impenetrable wall of misunderstanding.

My advice is to find common ground in a mutual goal and agree to work independently, without even proposing unification of efforts. I've got friends who I have this relation with and their arguments get more difficult to understand the more I study them; and I feel that I must study them because from the get-go I get a negative impression. Fortunately we have shared beliefs and can agree to state solidarity of intention if not intention to collaborate.

Because Nightcrawler is on the more social side of the spectrum and you're on the more... shall we say anti-social side (and psychologists do use that term) the misunderstandings are even worse: you're want to see the very worst in each other, and that's troubling. My advice to you, InVerse, is to ask yourself how much you really want to gain from the community over the long term. Nightcrawler is defending the interests of himself and his staff, and a lot of people are looking at him and saying to themselves "if I support Nightcrawler now, then when I'm in a similar position I can take the same kind of stance without facing social ostracism from anyone". That means they see it in their interest to support him over you. Is it really in your self-interest to try hurting the community, and risk demonization? Do you really want that, because you have a choice over whether you do or do not face it.

...I said stop flaming him.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016