News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Opera of the Red Moon (my Castlevania game)  (Read 84643 times)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Opera of the Red Moon (my Castlevania game)
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:52 pm »
Probably the same pseudo-3D look used in games like Rockman 8.

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:35 pm »
  • Upgradable weapons! I haven't planned yet how to implement this, but it will make your favorite weapon not useless when you find a more powerful one (except for secret uber weapons). And it's not the crappy soul power-up system used in Dawn of Sorrow.
So do you mean it will actually upgrade the stats of a weapon, without changing it? Something like Disgaea's Item World would be awesome. ;D Though I doubt you'd do that (Or even want to :P)

How are you planning to change the map in order to show this?
I had the same question.

Probably the same pseudo-3D look used in games like Rockman 8.
What do you mean? :huh: Megaman 8 didn't have 2.5D maps. It didn't have maps at all. :huh:
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:34 pm »
How are you planning to change the map in order to show this? Decent 2.5D maps are pretty hard to make. x_x
I haven't decided yet, but the idea is: you're walking in an outdoor area, like a mountain path. Now, you find a cave entrance in the middle of the screen, so you can decide to enter there or continue. If you go for the cave area, the map will branch on a different direction, but the viewpoint will be always the same. For this feature, I'm thinking about using a 3D local map, instead of the typical 2D one.

So do you mean it will actually upgrade the stats of a weapon, without changing it?
They will be improved through Maria's magic. She's a magician after all, so she can infuse them with magic and increase their power. This option will probably be implemented in a smith shop menu or something and it will cost money, so that the player can't abuse it.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:25 pm »
Have it cost jewels instead, which Maria might be willing to sell you or you may find throughout the game. That way it won't just be a matter of hording cash. :p

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 01:26:18 am »
You mentioned items and food, do you still have to equip them to use them? Sometimes I wonder if I'm alone, but I actually thought the way SotN handled item usage fit the style of the game far better than using things through the menu. Here are two posts I made about improving item usage a while ago, if you're interested:

Quote from: Dragonsbrethren
I'm probably one of the few that wish they'd go back to having to equip your items to use them, it fits with the gameplay style so much better - have a few reserve slots you could select items for and swap into your left hand at any time. Of course, they don't even have separate hands in the newer ones...made sense on the GBA, doesn't on the DS.

Quote from: Dragonsbrethren
Quote from: I.S.T.
I hated that part of SOTN. To this day I want to slap IGA up the head for that, even if he's not responsible as. you see, he's a good target for my useless angst.

Well, I'm not talking about exactly how it was done in SotN, there's certainly room for improvement. The reason I like it is it doesn't pull you out of the action like having to open the menu does, which is why I suggested reserve slots. Basically, give the player a few extra slots to stick different items in, then they could simply hit a button to swap through the items at any time without pausing. You could use it for healing items, or even for different weapons and shields. Additional slots could be added with a relic, maybe the Bangle of Holding Things, that's a cheesy enough name for SotN.

The ironic thing about this is that I almost never use items in SotN anyway; when I do they're usually the full screen attack items to kill Legion and Beelzebub faster.

How are you planning to change the map in order to show this? Decent 2.5D maps are pretty hard to make. x_x
I haven't decided yet, but the idea is: you're walking in an outdoor area, like a mountain path. Now, you find a cave entrance in the middle of the screen, so you can decide to enter there or continue. If you go for the cave area, the map will branch on a different direction, but the viewpoint will be always the same. For this feature, I'm thinking about using a 3D local map, instead of the typical 2D one.

I'm not sure if I'm following what you mean here. Something similar to Order of Ecclesia's village map?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 09:36:22 am »
You mentioned items and food, do you still have to equip them to use them? Sometimes I wonder if I'm alone, but I actually thought the way SotN handled item usage fit the style of the game far better than using things through the menu.
I'm not going for the SOTN item style. I find them pretty retarded and awkward to use, not to mention that you won't ever need them. But in this game some bosses will require you to use them, and if you don't heal yourself fast you're screwed. And it's easier to program it this way. :p

I'm not sure if I'm following what you mean here. Something similar to Order of Ecclesia's village map?
Really really similar to the village, yes.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:01 pm »
I found some spare time to make decent progress with the engine, even if it's not really as much as you or I'd expect to see. Anyway, this is the new stuff implemented:
  • Maps load from CD, as well as all the other data (no more crap linked directly into the exe);
  • Completely redone memory allocation for gfx primitives. Now it doesn't rely anymore on libgs, except for a couple helpfully things. This also includes an optimized method to draw map layers with only a few DR_TPAGE primitives;
  • Sound! I discovered how to make the SPU sound from VB+VH files. Now that was an ordeal, especially considering all the crap that I have to setup for those files;
  • A new hud for the field module, as you can see from the screenshot below. I tried to make it somewhat similar to the one in Ecclesia (the heart comes from there) having it to use a gold palette;

Now I'm working on an event system to deal with regular map stuff you see in all CV games (warp triggers, enemies, dialogues, etc...), not to mention an actual animation management for Maria and all the other objects on screen.

Eye candy:

And here's a footage of the most updated version of the engine (but there's no HUD in there). Ignore the broken collisions with the map... I was using an incorrect tile collision file when I recorded the movie. :p Here you can also find a blog that I created for this project, which will probably be updated when I get enough material for a decent news.

PS: Still looking for pixel artists. :P

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 01:48:27 am »
I want your babies. Also, the sound effects on the equip screen are really annoying. >_>
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Geass

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 06:19:45 am »
    • A new hud for the field module, as you can see from the screenshot below. I tried to make it somewhat similar to the one in Ecclesia (the heart comes from there) having it to use a gold palette;

Im lovin the new HUD.
    Looks much better.
    Also whoever did that dragon pixel art did a great job.

Good work, i look forward to playing this in the future.
    (and lol at "SUCK" in the background in your video at 0:21)
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:25:45 am by Geass »

Djungelurban

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:22 pm »
    Are you planning to recycle any old sprites from past Castlevania games except the Maria sprite and artwork? I'm mostly thinking about iconic enemies like Medusa Head or Death, although there are other enemies that could be worth adding. Personally I have trouble imagining a Castlevania game without those two, even though a part of me wishes that there will be no Medusa Heads in there...

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
      • View Profile
      • Apple of Eden
    « Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »

Many thanks go to sin_batsu (aka Ari) for drawing these sketches. Moar news here and here.

Are you planning to recycle any old sprites from past Castlevania games except the Maria sprite and artwork?
    The plan is to recycle as much as possible to reduce all the spriting work. Of course, some old sprites will probably have to be changed as they don't fit with the game style at all (who said Ecclesia's new enemies!?).
    « Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:38:29 pm by Gemini »

nerothegamernerd

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 07:05:31 am »
    Hey

Props goes to you for having Maria being able to use weapons.

justin3009

• Welp
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 08:44:12 am »
    Hold crap.  Gemini, you are officially my god of Castlevania.  I love you D:
    'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
      • View Profile
      • Apple of Eden
    « Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46:00 pm »
    Bibbidy, bobbidy, bump.

What's new:
    • Implemented entities and animations in the FIELD module and child processes (like MENU or TITLE);
    • Implemented new sound format to replace the useless and unnecessarily complicated VAB;
    • Working on a rough 3D support to show tridimensional backgrounds;
    • Support for multiple languages (English, Italian, German, Spanish, and French supported so far);
    • True color to 16 color tile reduction algorithm for map graphics;
    • Full Memory Card support with async access;
    • File archives now replace standard TOC CD access.

You can read the full thing here. Enjoy. :beer:

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
      • View Profile
      • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
    « Reply #54 on: September 25, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »
    You're a fucking beast.

Also, in the last clip with Dracula randomly spouting off shit. Is that from SotN/NitM? Why'd they record him using all of Alucard's moves (Soul Steal, Dark Metamorphesis) and new ones (Life Steal, Soul Blast, and others)? >.>

Edited because KillaB is a picky, whiny, woman anti-Japanese.

~DS
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:12:10 pm by DarknessSavior »
    Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
    Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
    DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
      • View Profile
      • Killa B
    « Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:55 pm »
    Are we still calling that game "Gekka"? :|
    I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
      • View Profile
      • Apple of Eden
    « Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:38 pm »
    Is that from SotN/NitM? Why'd they record him using all of Alucard's moves (Soul Steal, Dark Metamorphesis) and new ones (Life Steal, Soul Blast, and others)? >.>
    It's from Ecclesia. Most of those aren't even used in game, like Life Steal. Plus, Alucard was supposed to have Demonic Megiddo in Dracula X, but for some reason they didn't bother to implement that spell. :huh:

Are we still calling that game "Gekka"? :|
    * Gemini bashes KillaB with an iron spoon >:(

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:26 am »
    Tell me Soma is in the game! Tell me!!!

Off-Topic Question and ramblings:

If Konami offers you a job would you accept it, and what would it be?

Honestly, you're good, care to tell me how you learned all these things?
    I'm quite interested...

I think I might be stuck with the basics and hacking such simple things e.g. Metroid.

SC

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:14 am »
    I think this is the greatest project currently in the old PS scene.  :)

And if you still need a Spanish translator you can count on me.
    Just give me the English text correctly dumped, and a few notes on
    the storyboard/characters and I could have it done in a few days/hours.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
      • View Profile
      • Apple of Eden
    « Reply #59 on: October 01, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
    Tell me Soma is in the game! Tell me!!!
    I was planning to have him in game at first, along with Jonathan Morris, but then I scrapped the idea in favor of a better cast of unlockables.

If Konami offers you a job would you accept it, and what would it be?
    I wouldn't refuse, that's for sure, but I really doubt that could ever happen.

Honestly, you're good, care to tell me how you learned all these things?
    I'm quite interested...
    Experience is the answer. There's nothing you can't do with a good amount of experience gathered over the years.

And if you still need a Spanish translator you can count on me.
    Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind for when I've got more text to translate (i.e. equipment, items, etc...).

While I'm at it, a little update. From my board:
    As you can see from the video description, it's a new sound engine for streamed music. This one replaces the old XA streams and allows more custom stuff, like slower/faster playblack, but it's also a lot better for organizing files on disk as XA is really an ISO mess (needs a fuckload of parameters just to play fine with anything that doesn't use 8 channels). It also offers real 44100 Hz support (XA is only 18900/37800 Hz), meaning that audio quality is just like CD track, even tho it's actually compressed as it uses the native Playstation SPU format.
    Implementing this little beast took about a couple days to do, doesn't consume much memory at all (32 KB in regular ram, 16 KB in SPU ram), uses efficiently CD asynchronous reads, and it finally made me understand how to separate left and right channels in a WAVE track. :p