I found some spare time to make decent progress with the engine, even if it's not really as much as you or I'd expect to see. Anyway, this is the new stuff implemented:
- Maps load from CD, as well as all the other data (no more crap linked directly into the exe);
- Completely redone memory allocation for gfx primitives. Now it doesn't rely anymore on libgs, except for a couple helpfully things. This also includes an optimized method to draw map layers with only a few DR_TPAGE primitives;
- Sound! I discovered how to make the SPU sound from VB+VH files. Now that was an ordeal, especially considering all the crap that I have to setup for those files;
- A new hud for the field module, as you can see from the screenshot below. I tried to make it somewhat similar to the one in Ecclesia (the heart comes from there) having it to use a gold palette;
Now I'm working on an event system to deal with regular map stuff you see in all CV games (warp triggers, enemies, dialogues, etc...), not to mention an actual animation management for Maria and all the other objects on screen.
's a footage of the most updated version of the engine (but there's no HUD in there). Ignore the broken collisions with the map... I was using an incorrect tile collision file when I recorded the movie. :p Here
you can also find a blog that I created for this project, which will probably be updated when I get enough material for a decent news.
PS: Still looking for pixel artists.