News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Submitted Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 15906 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: ROM Hacks: New Submitted Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 12:49:41 pm »
Translations > SNES > English

The problem as I see it is that RHDN is purely utilitarian. Even though it's themable and standards compliant, it's based on an ancient design aesthetic that looks hideous.

Well you know what they say... Quit complaining and do something about it. ;) RHDN has been template  based since RHDN 2 last year. I will provide you with the template files and you can make it as beautiful as you wish. If it's found to be something people like, we can add it as an alternate layout. I'd suggest a mock up or two for concept before getting into template file modification though because the template files are modular and not whole pages of the site, thus a bit more difficult to work with.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:59 pm »
It's funny, for all the bashing that went on over the ZD revival, it's starting to actually -look- better than RHDN in terms of professional layout and content.

Fixed width layout is automatic fail in my book (and I wouldn't really call it professional, either.  Most/all professional sites worth going to have already figured out that fixed width is a huge no-no).  Talk about ancient design aesthetics that look hideous.

Near

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 12:26:11 pm »
Most/all professional sites worth going to have already figured out that fixed width is a huge no-no)

If we had vectorized graphics and the ability to set images for corners of divs (for rounded edges -- 9x nested DIVs is really, really tacky), we could maybe argue that there was no use for fixed width.

Luckily browsers are starting to support scaling of images, too, so it's not really as big a deal even if you do use fixed width if your browser scales everything equally.

Don't get me wrong, I always use em-sizing when possible, but it'd be nice if I could mix some hand-tailored gradient backgrounds with that.