News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: KingMike's Translation projects.  (Read 64111 times)

stahl

• View Profile
Re: KingMike's Translation projects.
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »
Hi Mike,

Are you still working on Momotarou Densetsu Gaiden?  I believe you mentioned upon release of the first game that you were working on this.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:31 pm »
That's right. I need to get back to playing that. Was playing through the FC version before getting stuck in a place.
Will probably do that version (even I don't think ROM expansion is an option for that one, as it's already 512K which is the limit for MMC3).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »
Having worked on and looked at a few games that have a 512K ROM that couldn't be expanded, I can say that they all had some free space so a translation wouldn't be butchered. Also since I was curious, I looked at Momo Gaiden and see that there is some free space at the end of the fixed bank and quite a bit of unused space in the ROM. I wouldn't consider the lack of expansion a hindrance to a potential translation.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »
Now I think I recall. Probably got frustrated and put aside the game a bit then got busy with other stuff and didn't come back. Will later.
One pretty bad bug, I assume, is the game getting pretty much deadlocked on the status paralysis. (I see this sorta hadn't been addressed since the first game. I mean, freeze status was basically the same thing. But then I got a guy healing me every turn so even dying isn't happening.)
I would have to wonder if the game could be hacked to nerf that or at least put it prevent it from stunlocking the game.

Mr. Jolt

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 07:08:02 am »
Just asking, how are you translating all these ROMs if there's not even an utility for text editor and such?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:46 am »
Been working on editing the last Indra video (seems I never did while I had Windows XP).
Trying to edit using Windows Movie Maker 8. And realizing as usual, MS screwed up.
Seems as soon as I click the Split video button, half my commentary track immediately disappears. I think I might've once stumbled upon the right combination of clicks to make it not break.
Unless there's some good free editor, I don't know.
I guess I'll try doing two editing passes (one to merge the edited commentary into the game video, and another to actually cut stuff)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 12:55:24 am »
Hey KingMike. While looking at the games on the list of translation requests it said you were working on Battle Zeque Den and GS Mikami. They're both pretty cool games. What's the status on these? I couldn't seem to find any info regarding these projects other than outdated posts from this forum.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 02:03:11 pm »
Probably not the best place but I don't know if it's quite own-thread worthy.

So I set up a stream and had begun a pretty crappy attempt to play Chrono Trigger in Japanese.
Not sure why it just randomly locked up. SNES9x (1.53) bug probably, as I rewatched the footage and noticed the music didn't restart.
I guess the game doesn't tolerate playing like an idiot! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8t_TNyVgc

Yesterday, stream interrupted by Comcast guy.
Today, random freezing.
(though I reloaded the game in the same emu and it played fine, so I'll probably continue later)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:30 am »
Took a look again at City Adventure Touch for the Famicom, seeing my old notes.
Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to work.

I'm sure it's based on something, but it was an early Famicom action-adventure-beat-em-up by Compile.
I remember feeling a bit of a burnout trying to map as much as I could without being able to find progress.

Look at the script, it's about 10K (though it looks like fairly simple text, at least what I can read) if there's anyone interested?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2015, 03:33:56 pm »
Lately pushing through with doing a heavily machine-assisted translation of Jungle Wars (don't intend to use that as a release translation, mostly a placeholder than anything).

Also, doing more time playing Space Hunter for Famicom to get the context of texts for translation. (once I have everything then it should be pretty quick to finish. Though I recall there being a bit of story in the manual I would probably make an effort at translation after that)
I remember what the problem was before: this game might have one of the worst default weapons ever. Time bombs that activate whenever the hell they feel like it.  >:( Often whenever it's inconvenient for you. :P
So, each weapon uses some amount of "Power" but can only be used  if you have a certain amount of Power (like the Heart Beam costs 3 Power for shot but only works if you have at least 120 remaining. And it overflows after 255, so I guess you have to then waste some when you get close.)
I'm thinking a bit of save-state abuse might be warranted (especially since the game lets you get a password at any time). Took me several tries to beat the second boss, and then after a boss it sets off a time-bomb for the planet and you have to escape quick, without even getting a life refill. So it's possible to beat the boss then die seconds later flying into an enemy. At which point it's back to the title screen for you (re-enter the password to play again. Remember AVGN's Frankenstein rant?  ;D )

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2015, 11:28:49 pm »
KingMike, have you hacked it yet? Did you know that when you change the texts (or even dot a single pixel), the palettes of the game gets jumbled. I though its an easy project, but with that hacking bug I just dropped it. It would be a nice alt Roll-chan game too  :D

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2015, 11:32:48 pm »
That's not a bug Zynk. It's an error resulting from an incorrect header value. IIRC, most emulators have a checksum for the game and soft patch the header error, but when you alter a single byte, the checksum changes and the game uses the incorrect header value. Thus resulting in bugginess. Once upon a time, I myself toyed with translating the game.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:39 am »
Took a look again at City Adventure Touch for the Famicom, seeing my old notes.
Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to work.

I'm sure it's based on something, but it was an early Famicom action-adventure-beat-em-up by Compile.
I remember feeling a bit of a burnout trying to map as much as I could without being able to find progress.

Look at the script, it's about 10K (though it looks like fairly simple text, at least what I can read) if there's anyone interested?

It is actually based on a manga called - get this - Touch. :D This game doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to it whatsoever, at least from what I can recall. It always bugged me... why bother obtaining rights to some property if you are not going to use them in any meaningful way? Reminds me kinda of Monty on the Run or that weird Star Wars game. Your projects always seem quite unorthodox. :) Have you made any headway? Good luck with that. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:23:30 am by cccmar »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2016, 11:18:26 pm »
I can remember one of my earliest posts on The Whirlpool forum "What's the best way to dump a non-sequential script?" after struggling to dump RPG Maker: Super Dante's sample game.

Answer: come back in like 15 years after learning how to ROM hack better. ;D

I have now figured out the map and scenario data format, and have a dumper able to rip those from the SRAM (though it would be no problem to rip from the ROM).
With those, over 75% of the SRAM is mapped out. Hope the remaining 25% will be easier.

Probably the most significant thing is that it should be possible to dump and translate (once I get the inserter done, which may be awhile) the Satellaview games, etc.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:41 am »
Were you the one who was going to translate Dragon Ball? (Dragon Power)

The old translation doesn't work on real hardware (no surprise), so I tried hacking the original graphics back into the US ROM...but any tiny alteration to the file completely glitches the game =)

I don't know why I like the game, though, it's so bad.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
I was working on translating Dragon Ball and it was mostly translated. One of the biggest hurdles was screen space for text, so I decided to add more text pointers to the game to add more screens of text and I was successful, but there were lingering issues with event programming I hadn't figured. Anyhow, the project got way too complex for my likes and I stopped working on it.  Not really fond of the game, so I probably won't work on it unless I have nothing else to do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 01:54:45 am »
I had basically finished up working on the Turbo File menus of RPG Maker.
I had a couple cosmetic issues, that may have to stay.
It looks like no$sns is the only emulator to support the TF.
no$sns seems to lack a trace logger (I'm not clicking a billion instructions one at a time through the bytecode interpreter) or even a data access breakpoint system (only code execution breakpoints).

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2017, 01:55:14 pm »
I had basically finished up working on the Turbo File menus of RPG Maker.
I had a couple cosmetic issues, that may have to stay.
It looks like no$sns is the only emulator to support the TF.
no$sns seems to lack a trace logger (I'm not clicking a billion instructions one at a time through the bytecode interpreter) or even a data access breakpoint system (only code execution breakpoints).
There is a trace logger in no$sns. Go to options, debugger setup. Set "TTY Debug Message Limit" to something like "Overwrite log after 100MB".
Then open the TTY Debug Window ("Window", "Debug Message Window") and "Enable", "Main CPU Tracelog". You can copy the output to a notepad.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »
Taking another look at one of my earliest translations, Shiseiki Odysselya.
Finally confirmed my decompression code is correct (creates data matching a savestate rip).
Now for the recompression, looks mostly correct except I think the LZ range is only odd amounts 3-33. (the ASM does an AND #$001E before doing the usual +3 to the run length, causing the first to be an even number 0-30)

But there's still going to be more to do since the text is probably using some kind of script language.

Don't worry once I manage to get this translated, a proto of the canceled US version is sure to turn up.  ;D
Although according to Nintendo Power, the translation was probably terrible anyways.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2017, 02:36:03 pm »
Thank goodness! I've been waiting since I was promised this for March 1994! :crazy: As is typical for me, I can't help but like Shinseiki Odysselya II much better though. I've got a folder sitting around with early prodding on that one. If you hit anything you can't figure out, let me know. These false promises of old need to be set right! 

TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations