News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: KingMike's Translation projects.  (Read 64122 times)

Torbjorn

• View Profile
Re: KingMike's Translation projects.
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 09:13:27 pm »
I see you were working on Ganbare Goemon 3 for SNES a few years back. Did anything ever become of that? I'm real interested in translating Goemon games!

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 11:54:01 pm »
SNES goemon games have definitely been one of the bigger oversights in the translation community

A popular franchise in the western world, many want to play, however finding even a rudimentary english patch for those games is impossible

More people would appreciate a release of that, over a patch for some obscure Japanese game that was even niche in Japan
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:24:47 am by caninis »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:29 pm »
It was only like a day's effort.
And it does seem to be niche. Looks like even some Japanese sites, known for keeping track of release dates consistently, can't decide the date on this one :D (May 7th or the 17th?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 04:47:16 pm »
As long as someone's asking about games you're working on, how is Maka Maka coming along? Last thing I heard, the hacking was still giving you a lot of trouble, right?

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »
It was only like a day's effort.
And it does seem to be niche. Looks like even some Japanese sites, known for keeping track of release dates consistently, can't decide the date on this one :D (May 7th or the 17th?)

oh KingMike, I was just speaking in general (priorities of translations); not about this particular effort

Palamedes looks to be quite simple & fun

Torbjorn

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2013, 09:46:15 pm »
Well if you found out as much about Goemon in a days effort you could hopefully have it all figured out with a proper script dump soon enough if you decide to look into it more. Let me know if you do ;)

BTW You(KingMike) mentioned in my intro post you have some games ready for translation. What are they? I'm really looking to translate stuff right now. I would, however, prefer 16-bit era and beyond because most 8 bit games just aren't big enough to feel like an accomplishment on my translation resume(I make exceptions for the Goemon Gaiden games on Famicom if those were available though!).

SolarBoyMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26:25 pm »
As long as someone's asking about games you're working on, how is Maka Maka coming along? Last thing I heard, the hacking was still giving you a lot of trouble, right?

I'm also genuinely interested in the state of this translation too. I'm really looking forward to it if it's still going to happen, and I've been waiting on it before I replay the game.

trap15

• View Profile
    • Daifukkat.su
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:30 am »
I'm also genuinely interested in the state of this translation too. I'm really looking forward to it if it's still going to happen, and I've been waiting on it before I replay the game.
Maybe a bit absurd of a bump, but I'm seriously curious about this as well. If you're no longer interested in working on it, KingMike, I have been considering doing this myself. It'd be helpful to get your tools (and/or the translated script) if this is the case.
Twitter | Daifukkat.su
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 12:42:36 am »
Yes, that is one I need to work on.

Got to get over my video editing dread and finish recording Light of Indra.

As I recall, Maka-maka, Milky Way Trio (aka Ginga no Sannin/Earth Fighter Raizer Famicom version) and 3x3 Eyes are the longest outstanding translations.
... and Galaxy Odyssey (though I don't know if anyone even remembers that one).

trap15

• View Profile
    • Daifukkat.su
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 01:51:08 pm »
Well, as I said, if you want help or are no longer interested in finishing it, I think I'm up to the task. I just want that dang game translated already :D
Twitter | Daifukkat.su
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »
Still interested and, putting the cart way before the horse, might be interested in its spiritual successor (as in, weird-looking RPG by the same developer), Day of the Idea.

trap15

• View Profile
    • Daifukkat.su
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:19 pm »
I was interested in that one as well, but I think we're on the same mental track as far as this goes.
Twitter | Daifukkat.su

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »
I recall Galaxy Odyssey is an FDS RPG and that you had some space issues. Honestly, I find hacking the FDS to be pain in the ass, so I don't blame you for not working on it.

trap15

• View Profile
    • Daifukkat.su
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2013, 05:17:48 pm »
Having hacked on some FDS stuff before, I'd have to agree that it's a very painful target for any project.
Twitter | Daifukkat.su

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »
I recall Galaxy Odyssey is an FDS RPG and that you had some space issues. Honestly, I find hacking the FDS to be pain in the ass, so I don't blame you for not working on it.

I think I had to settle for DTE. It seemed like I found enough space at various "holes" in the data files. Was able to at least finish the first world (planets A-E) with no issues.
It does get kind of repetitive after awhile, because you have to play these shooting segments to grind oxygen so you can survive on the actual planets (when you run out of oxygen, you will begin to lose health periodically. At least you're able to remove call your ship to bail out as you're about to die.)

Would be nice but I really doubt anyone is going to want to translate the 100-page background story in the manual. (I think one of the hints references one page of that, so at some point I guess I'd to request that much. Then again, it might have just been referring to the game's fictional written language, of which there is a kana chart in the manual, as well as a dictionary. I've probably at some point translated that.)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2014, 11:44:56 pm »
Awhile ago, I found an old floppy disk with some source code to my word-wrap hack for Kaiju Monogatari. I fixed it up a bit into a doc, but as I have no working homepage on the Internet, I have posted it here.

I don't know if it's the final bugtested code or not. For NES, I pretty much write the ASM in a file for planning but insert the raw hex into the ROM. I test and debug in raw hex but may not update my doc. (for SNES, I have used xkas, so I have to fix the ASM source on those.)
I recall at one point I had a version that supported line wrap and the original scrolling method, but I lost in when I replaced my HDD.
I ended up with an uglier version that didn't scroll and would overwrite the old text and then fill out the rest of the window with spaces.

I found a backup ROM on the disk, but apparently that has corrupted in the decade or so since it was written.
Code: [Select]
WordWrapIndex = $E9 Position in the buffer where the text that needs wrapping is
BufferRead = $EA (16-bit) Text window buffer read position for moves
BufferWrite = $EC (16-bit) Text window buffer write position for moves
MoveLength = $EE

TextBufferIndex = $0163 Position to next insert text in buffer

TextBuffer = $04A0 (64 bytes. In the original game it was 16-char x 4 lines
in the translation it is (24 char + 8 overflow) x 3 lines
I think the first line of a string might have been limited by 1 less character
as a "stop" marker at the beginning for when the game scrolls the text window up.)

This routine expects that text in the RAM buffer will be formatted as such:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 AAAAAAAA........
 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
 BBBBBBBB........
 CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
 CCCCCCCC........

Where A, B and C are lines A, B and C on the screen. (24 char by 3 lines)

If it isn't, then it will detect the start of the word and shift that and everything else down.

Character map:
$FB Toggles Auto-line break
$FC The original game's space code
$FD Do word wrap
$FE New space code
$FF End of text code

lda MoveLength
bne ScrollRoutine
ldx #$00 ;text buffer index 0
CheckFormats:
lda TextBuffer,x
cmp #$FF ;end string flag
beq EndFormatAdjust
cmp #$FD ;line break flag
beq DoWordWrap
cmp #$FB ;auto-break flag toggle
beq UseScrollingText
inx
cpx #$60
bne CheckFormats
stx TextBufferIndex
EndFormatAdjust:
rts

UseScrollingText:
lda #$FE ;replace Scroll Toggle flag with hard-space
sta TextBuffer,x
inx
lda MoveLength
beq SetScrollFlagOn
lda #$00
sta MoveLength
beq CheckFormats ;a=0, so this will branch always to CheckFormats, next iteration of loop
SetScrollFlagOn:
lda #$01
sta MoveLength
bne CheckFormats ;a=1, so this will branch always to the the next iteration of the loop

DoWordWrap:
lda #$FE
sta TextBuffer,x ;replace line break with hard space
lda TextBuffer+0x19 ;check if character 25 of line 1 is hard-space already
cmp #$FE
beq CheckLine1B ;if it is, skip wrapping line 1
ldx #$19
jsr WordWrap
beq WrapLine2
CheckLine1B:
lda TextBuffer+0x1A
cmp #$FE
beq WrapLine2
ldx #$1A
jsr WordWrap
WrapLine2:
lda TextBuffer+0x39
cmp #$FE
beq CheckLine2B
ldx #$39
jsr WordWrap
beq EndWordWrap
CheckLine2B:
lda TextBuffer+0x3A
cmp #$FE
beq EndWordWrap
ldx #$3A
jsr WordWrap
EndWordWrap:
rts

WordWrap:
lda TextBuffer,x
cmp #$FE ;check if we have a hard space
beq CheckForEOL
dex
bne WordWrap ;keep going back until we find the last hard-space
beq EndFormatAdjust ;if we get to the start of the window, stop

CheckForEOL:
txa
pha ;backup index of space
lda #$00
sta MoveLength ;initialize Move Length
FindEOL:
inx
txa
and #$1F
beq MoveText ;if the text spilled over a line, then we need to break it
lda TextBuffer,x
cmp #$FE ;current text byte a space? Check if it's the EOL.
beq IsItEOL
inc MoveLength
bne FindEOL ;since text buffer isn't 256 chars long, we can use this as branch always

IsItEOL:
inx
lda TextBuffer,x
cmp #$FE
beq MoveText ;assuming 2 spaces in a row is probably an EOL. Move all text forward MoveLength bytes
inc MoveLength ;it wasn't, so let's assume a space and continue checking
dex
bne FindEOL

MoveText:
pla ;retrieve index of space character
sta WordWrapIndex
and #$60 ;A = start of line index is on
clc
adc #$C0 ;convert to address in buffer
tay ;Y = index of beginning of line with space
ldx #$00
lda #$FF
sta BufferWrite ;Write to $04FF (last byte of buffer)
sec
sbc MoveLength
sta BufferRead ;Read from $04FF - MoveLength
lda #04
sta BufferWrite+1
sta BufferRead+1 ;setting the high bytes of the pointers
MoveTextLoop:
lda (BufferRead,x)
sta (BufferWrite,x)
dec BufferRead
dec BufferWrite ;transfer string backwards
cpy BufferRead
bcs MoveTextLoop ;repeat until we've copied through the current line

inc BufferRead
lda BufferRead
sta BufferWrite ;we're going to insert text and the current point
lda WordWrapIndex
clc
adc #$A0 ;low byte of address of TextBuffer
sta BufferRead ;set read position to where the text is that needs to be word-wrapped
WriteWrapText:
lda (BufferRead,x)
sta (BufferWrite,x)
lda #$FE
sta (BufferRead,x) ;now let's delete the string
inc BufferRead
inc BufferWrite
dec MoveLength
lda MoveLength
bne WriteWrapText
rts

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 01:13:41 am »
Just out curiosity, but whatever happened to The Light of Indra? I recall you were playtesting it and recording videos of it several months ago and nothing since.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
First got bit by the Pokemon bug after TPP.
Lately I've been tackling another game I've actually been after since I started translations. It's going to sound really silly and I know it's pretty much obsolete but I've wanted to see the SNES RPG Makers. I think I can handle it but this game is quite insane to hack.
I'm probably going to release an RPGM1 patch when I have everything but the sample game dialogue done (as that is going to be an effort on its own to insert, I think).
I got a font inserter mostly done (it works but I think I have repointing issues somewhere), though I used the KanjiHack tile viewer (Naga) to verify my data decoding was correct. Beyond that, I can say no involvement with that patch. :)

But once I get more progress on that, I think I'm going to pick up Monster Maker III as a part of an experimental idea I have going.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:45 pm »
I'm just glad to hear/read that Maka Maka is still going to happen at some point. I've been following any tidbits I could find about that particular project since late middle school... man, I'm old. I recall you typing somewhere at some point that you were looking into/considering making two different versions of the patch (one that just translates the game, leaving the bugs intact, and one that's both in English and functional as intended). I'd personally love to see that come to fruition, as I'm a pretty big fan of the game and would love to play it as the designers originally intended it, but I'd be happy with just the translation at this point. At the very least, I'd love to see the credits fixed so we can finally see the people who worked on the game...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »
Since I last posted, had Akuma-kun hacking done.
I guess I will need to use my crappy drawing skills to try to get the title hacked.
Also, same for Castle Ayakashi for the Game Boy.

Most recent thing I started doing was to take up tashi's abandoned Casper SFC translation.
I made a font and script dumper/inserter. (I know he used Atlas, but I guess I kind of like to reinvent the wheel :D ). Good practice, though.
Kind of deciding for this translation if I should try to hack the 8x16 to use a dual-line 8x8, especially as it seems the game is designed to only show one line at a time.
Though I did reduce the indent from 6 tiles to 2 (to avoid the overscan area, which isn't really necessary these days but I feel it still looks a bit more "authentic").
I also changed the text encoding to single-byte and added DTE on top of it be overkill-sure that ROM space for the text won't be an issue. :D
Haven't checked on the graphic cutscenes (which was the reason tashi stopped), but I'm sure it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Strange the text was duplicated in the main text but was unused.