Good catch, thank you.
For multi-hit weapons, the game seems to keep a table of each weapon's potential hits, with 4 entries each. So for example, a weapon that can hit 1-3 times looks something like (1, 2, 2, 3). It pulls a random number from the RNG and does a modulo 4, and then pulls the number of hits from that. So in that example, it's a 25% chance for 1 hit, 50% chance for 2 hits, and 25% chance for 3 hits.
As far as I can see, no player stat affects the hit count.
*Edit: I guess as long as I'm looking at combat... It looks like Luck affects accuracy. The game takes your Luck stat, adds 96 (60 in hex), pulls a random number from the RNG (between 0 and 255), multiplies the 2 numbers, then takes the quotient from dividing by 256 (or essentially, the high byte from 16 bits). Then that number is compared to the weapon's base accuracy (or more like, its miss rate), and it has to match or beat that number to land a hit.
So basically, if you roll a zero from the RNG (which actually happened to me when testing this), you're going to miss no matter what. I was testing with an Aura Sword, which has a miss value of 10, and my character had 10 Luck.
10 Luck means my starting value was 106. So that means I essentially have to roll a 25 or better from the RNG to land a hit. Which is like, a 90% chance to hit I think. I'm sure someone more skilled in mathematics can derive some accuracy formula from all this.
I was always wondering how that worked with weapons that can hit 1-3 times in MT I and II. Good thing that in MT I at least I do try to max that out on the MC because I notice that every few points that's put into luck, it increases your HP.
On another note, I think I may have run into another possible glitch/bug recently in MT II, and it's related to the Devil Analyzer (after getting it from the Intelligence Building in Shibuya). And I didn't notice this until the end of the game because I hadn't messed around with the Devil Analyzer all that often. But for some reason, and it doesn't happen with all demons that get recorded, but when I scroll through the list, the game freezes and gives me a black screen.
For me anyway, it does that when Siren is recorded in the Analyzer. When I scroll past her, that's when the freeze/crash occurs. And I can't say for certain that it's really Siren that causes it, more than likely for me it was from an end-game normal enemy or boss.
I should also note that this happened on Release Candidate C, so I hadn't checked if this happens on RC_E yet, but I will. Nevertheless, since you're testing MT II now, this is a bit of a heads-up about the Devil Analyzer.
*Edit: Yep, it happens in RC_E as well as I just checked who's currently on the Devil Analyzer in my game.