News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem Translation  (Read 77270 times)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem Translation
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 09:29:56 pm »
I'm not sure what to make of this thread. This guy translates a fricken Fire Emblem game, a series that's been perennially ignored by NoA and has had many incomplete fan translations. Usually when a game like that gets translated everyone thanks the team for having the fortitude to do it all. I'm kinda tempted to split most of the crap in this thread out somewhere else. Maybe to General Discussion under the new topic title "In which we complain about having options".

I think we're about done here with the off topic battle of the patches crap. If anyone wants to comment on THIS patch, please do, if anyone wants to congratulate the team behind the translation PLEASE DO. If you're motivated to talk about someone else's project, please create a topic in the general board or wait for Gideon to start one in the Personal Projects forum. There is NO need for any more disparaging comments in this thread.

Get on topic or get out.

Aganar

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2008, 09:45:19 pm »
Christ, you people are whiney. A guy translates a game for you and you complain because it's not some slightly more well-known guy?

Thanks, RPGguy for finishing Book 2; I already had Book 1 translated somewhere, but now I think I'll play through the whole thing.

The only thing slightly impractical about this--and it is still relatively slight--is that the Fire Emblem DS remake will be getting an English localization, so if I choose to buy that it weakens my resolve to play this, or vice versa. Nonetheless, I may yet play it anyway, just to see the changes they make between the two. Certainly for those who will NOT be getting the DS remake this is a fantastic piece of work, and something we have been waiting for for many years.

Thanks again.

By the way, are you part of the FE5 translation project? If so, how's that going?

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »
Yeah, I apologize for my comments earlier.  I was just trying to support Gideon.

Of course i'm happy that this game is finally released in english, and I completely support the group that did it.

Thanks a lot and great job  :thumbsup:
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

RPGuy96

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2008, 11:10:40 pm »
The only thing slightly impractical about this--and it is still relatively slight--is that the Fire Emblem DS remake will be getting an English localization, so if I choose to buy that it weakens my resolve to play this, or vice versa.

As far as anyone outside of IS knows, Fire Emblem DS is a remake of the original NES game, which (as you might be aware) was remade as book 1 of Mystery of the Emblem.  There was some FE1 exclusive stuff shown in the very few screenshots we saw, as I recall.  We'll see, I guess - I'd like to see Mystery remade because it could use some of the updates from later games in the series, but I'm certainly not complaining about any FE games coming over here!

By the way, are you part of the FE5 translation project? If so, how's that going?

I did a very small hack for Shaya as a favour, but, no, I'm only involved peripherally.  Shaya just released a new patch that has all the dialogue translated, but is still missing some other things.  I haven't checked it out yet, though, as Thracia kicked my ass enough on my first playthrough that I'm afraid to play it again.  ;)

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 12:04:42 am »
Actually, to be perfectly honest, it *is* still a rather long way from being done. I've been editing my way through Book 1, cheating and suchlike to make the process go faster, but it still takes at least an hour or two per chapter.
When i was hacking around with the NES ones, I chose to locate the stats for characters and max them all out, including movement (set to 99 or something like that) and just bumrushed each chapter, making a savestate at the beginning of each chapter.  You could do something similar.  As for how long the testing actually takes, you could also get some beta testers to go over certain chapters :/

The only thing slightly impractical about this--and it is still relatively slight--is that the Fire Emblem DS remake will be getting an English localization, so if I choose to buy that it weakens my resolve to play this, or vice versa.
while there is quite a good chance, there's no confirmation on a localization taking place, let alone a JAP release date ;[  And keep in mind that the DS is a remake of the first game, with some added features, new character(s), and the like.  Monshou (FE3) also contains a remake of the first, updated, with few things removed/modified, but also the actual FE3, which is called Book II, the sequel to the first game.  So holding out for the DS remake will get you as far as half the story--you'd still have to take RPGuy or Gideon or a raw translation to see what happens in Monshou :/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 12:47:17 am »
Actually, to be perfectly honest, it *is* still a rather long way from being done. I've been editing my way through Book 1, cheating and suchlike to make the process go faster, but it still takes at least an hour or two per chapter.
When i was hacking around with the NES ones, I chose to locate the stats for characters and max them all out, including movement (set to 99 or something like that) and just bumrushed each chapter, making a savestate at the beginning of each chapter.  You could do something similar.  As for how long the testing actually takes, you could also get some beta testers to go over certain chapters :/

while there is quite a good chance, there's no confirmation on a localization taking place, let alone a JAP release date ;[  And keep in mind that the DS is a remake of the first game, with some added features, new character(s), and the like.  Monshou (FE3) also contains a remake of the first, updated, with few things removed/modified, but also the actual FE3, which is called Book II, the sequel to the first game.  So holding out for the DS remake will get you as far as half the story--you'd still have to take RPGuy or Gideon or a raw translation to see what happens in Monshou :/

I'm not holding my breath for it, but I wonder if there's even a miniscule chance of a Virtual Console release.
With FE3 revealed as a Masterpiece in Brawl, I wonder if Nintendo would possibly consider a release.
Although I suppose with the DS remake coming, more than likely if they did keep FE3 in Brawl, they translate it (since I hear it's a demo version anyways) more to promote said remake.
(at least it'd give a reason for the three-week delay) :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2008, 03:35:02 am »
I'm playing it right now and i ahve to say it's pretty good. It's not *perfect* but i'm glad that somebody had the gumption to finish it.

that being said, i *am*  a big fan of gid's stuff (a silent one mostly. I'm a member of the forums there but i haven't posted much since i started here :P)  But i won't complain. whichever patch I like better, that's naturally the one i'll use.

Now commenting on the general attitude/reception to this:

serisouly poeple, are you trying to discourage? let the patch a chance on it's own merits. it *might* actually be good! (it is.)

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 04:29:05 am »
Yeah, I apologize for my comments earlier.  I was just trying to support Gideon.

Of course i'm happy that this game is finally released in english, and I completely support the group that did it.

That's for you:

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Etienne11/boom.png

:thumbsup:

Kyuuen

• 翼を持った少年
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 05:40:36 am »
I guess I should apologize for stirring stuff up, I meant no disrespect to RPGuy/Shaya, whoever did the bulk of the work here. (some of these posts confuse me) I just figured it would be a shame if Gideon totally gave up on his project where there *were* clearly people looking forward to it still.

This reminds me a whole lot of the Phantasia patch situation which I guess isn't really a good thing.

Sorry anyway, I didn't think so many people would get upset or angry or annoyed.  :(
What's a battle?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2008, 08:31:40 am »

I also have to agree. I didn't mean to put down the patch at all, and if it seemed like I was doing so, I apologize. In fact, I've been meaning to play it, but I've been dedicating myself too much to my music and hacking. I've got tons of time this morning, so I'll be playing it a bit. ^_^

And my comment about "Vulnry" or whatever was simply a hacking thing. That's one of the simpler things to get around if one knows his ASM. Unless it was coded by crack monkies, like alot of Square/Konami titles. >.>

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:05 am »
And my comment about "Vulnry" or whatever was simply a hacking thing. That's one of the simpler things to get around if one knows his ASM. Unless it was coded by crack monkies, like alot of Square/Konami titles.

Yeah, I know. Didn't mean to bash you. I was just so annoyed about everyone's reaction that I kind of sucked you in with the rest of them.

Well, all is well that ends well I guess. :thumbsup:

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2008, 09:35:06 am »
I did play the first chapter, and I must say, the more I read it, the more I like your font. I think I may wind up stealing borrowing your font for my own work.

However, that shaky screen during battles bothers me. What did you do to break that? It gives me a headache. >.<

Edit: Forget it. Just use SNESGT or BSNES. I'm converting, I will never use ZSNES again. I'm tired of all the game-specific bugs.

~DS

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:06:05 am by DarknessSavior »
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

turn based only

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:53 am »
Okay RPG96, thanks for the tip on how to contact you, and for the help.
I did have a change of heart yesterday and get ZSNES 1.51 and that made the game work.
There is juddering text in the battle screens but the game doesn't crash so I think my rom is okay.
Thanks to Celice and a few others for their suggestions too.
Seeker of Peace, I don't know who she is, but I like her!

Off topic again, but I'm really getting trounced in FE5, I can't get out of the prison, I get my friends out and get the prisoners to the stairs, then open the last door, and the new army come out and cream the team.
Is it me being crap or is that fight a real pig to win?
It might be me, I gave up on Blazing Sword because the difficulty level put me off.
After losing the same battle 20 times you tend to think "Okay let's revisit Shining Force"

CaseCrash

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2008, 11:12:19 am »
Thanks for the patch guys! I'm really enjoying it so far (sans the battle-text moving about). Great job and don't be discouraged. Competition makes everyone stronger   :beer:

Also, (OTish): wasn't there a big hoopla around the DQ6 translations?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
There were several DQ6 translations. None of them are more than about 95% complete, and to my knowledge they haven't even been worked on since like 2001 or 2002.

Meropi

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2008, 03:23:12 pm »
Off topic again, but I'm really getting trounced in FE5, I can't get out of the prison, I get my friends out and get the prisoners to the stairs, then open the last door, and the new army come out and cream the team.
Is it me being crap or is that fight a real pig to win?
This is the first chapter that most people realize, "Oh shit, this game is hard." The game gets progressively more difficult after that.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:11 pm »
Yeah, Thracia's fun like that.  Although, I found that chapter, personally, to be the hardest in the game.  The reinforcements do stop, but after, live four/five saves.

I'm not holding my breath for it, but I wonder if there's even a miniscule chance of a Virtual Console release.
.  Japan's gotten their VC release of the game, including Seisen (FE4) too.  It'll be nice once Wii hacking lets us boot other region VC games :/

It might be me, I gave up on Blazing Sword because the difficulty level put me off.
After losing the same battle 20 times you tend to think "Okay let's revisit Shining Force"
I found that one to be actually kinda easy, compared to others in the series.  Maybe it's just your playing style--Fire Emblem isn't a game you throw a character out and expect them to survive, lest they have the right stats for a job :[

turn based only

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:35 pm »
Well I got through FE7 and FE8, FE6 just seemed to throw so many troops at you. I never let characters get marooned, they were just wiped out.. all of them. Oops slipped into Sith mode there.
One site I used to go to, Fire Emblem World, also rates FE6 as tough, not that that "proves" anything, just to say its not just me!

With all that said I'm not the best games player, I also got the hump with FF Tactics.
Anyone else here ever said "I can't be arsed" with any turn-based RPGs?
No?
Just me then...

SeekerOfPeace

• 美女
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2008, 09:46:11 pm »
For the prison thing,

I just had a character hog most of the experience in that stage. He would then beat everything thrown at him fairly easily.

NOTE: Thieves are VITAL in this mission as you can steal vulnary from pretty much everyone. It really makes a huge difference in battle.

I also crammed everyone in a cell and put someone at the door to protect the weaker members.

It's quite possible to beat, but it also took me many, many tries.

/off topic.

Reaper Man

• Two Words:
    • View Profile
    • Brad Corrupts
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:40 am »
Edit: Forget it. Just use SNESGT or BSNES. I'm converting, I will never use ZSNES again. I'm tired of all the game-specific bugs.

Actually, don't count ZSNES out just yet.  Its next release will feature a new core that'll be a lot more accurate. (hopefully) :3