News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Anyone Interested in Doing "SMB Special" for NES?  (Read 347841 times)

frantik

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Interested in Doing "SMB Special" for NES?
« Reply #820 on: July 29, 2021, 04:35:28 pm »
You can hit it if you run and jump, maybe you need to be small. 

shanem

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 29, 2021, 08:09:08 pm »

Is there a way of reaching this ? block or was Hudson just being weird here?

This can be done with big Mario as well. Requires some Lost Levels type skill as big Mario: Duck jumping

Start from the rightmost on top of the pipe next to big Mario, pick up speed running off the pipe onto the block (right to left) and as Mario is about to fall to the ground, crouch (duck) and jump! The duck jump with acceleration has to be almost pixel perfect at the leftmost of the blocks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:15:04 pm by shanem »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 31, 2021, 11:15:19 pm »
On the treetop courses, like 1-3, the part of the leaf platform that blends in with the trunk is colored incorrectly, in both palettes. Was this intentional?

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 01, 2021, 01:07:39 am »
What exactly are you referencing?  The trees should  be identical to the SMB trees
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:26:25 am by frantik »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 01, 2021, 02:40:42 pm »
What exactly are you referencing?  The trees should  be identical to the SMB trees

Silly me. Would you believe that I've never played the original SMB on anything except a CRT TV or a handheld? I had never noticed that color mismatch before.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: August 13, 2021, 11:37:02 am »
removed by request of the author
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 05:12:36 pm by TRIFORCE89 »

shanem

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 20, 2021, 05:41:28 pm »
Frantik, there’s a glitch on 7-4 where when you go through the bonus pipe Mario exits too high.

On Cosmic’s video, it can be found at 26: 55  https://youtu.be/Bpmfevlk1Ck

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2021, 06:33:09 am »
Frantik, there’s a glitch on 7-4 where when you go through the bonus pipe Mario exits too high.

On Cosmic’s video, it can be found at 26: 55  https://youtu.be/Bpmfevlk1Ck

I saw that, but to cause the glitch you have to clip through the wall.  If you go the proper way the pipe works correctly.  Kosmic's always trying to break stuff  :crazy:

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2021, 02:57:30 pm »
Kosmic's always trying to break succeeding at breaking stuff  :crazy:

I fixed it for you.

powerup_retro

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Interested in Doing \"SMB Special\" for NES?
« Reply #829 on: September 05, 2021, 09:07:00 am »
Just wonder, is the latest version 1.3, do we add the wing power up? I don't see any where mentioned.

September 05, 2021, 09:10:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, sorry for the question above. I found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNpJmNZUtTs -- very cool, we got the wing as well. Amazing!

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 12, 2022, 01:40:06 am »
I have been enjoying the 35th Anniversary release of this hack, and my questions about it are:

World 2-3 goal area:
Both the PC-88 and Sharp X1 versions use the normal ground music instead of the underground music, despite using the underground palette.

World 6-2 coin rooms:
#1: On the PC-88 and Sharp X1 versions, the normal ground music is heard instead of the underground music, again despite using the underground palette.

#2: For the water-filled version, on the PC-88 and Sharp X1 versions the water music is of course heard, but it still uses the normal underground palette and tileset.

I wonder if, for this version of the NES hack, the rooms in these two levels I mention can be fixed to look like the original PC-88 and Sharp X1 versions, with the correct respective music?

Thank you,

Ben

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 18, 2022, 08:30:36 pm »
#2: For the water-filled version, on the PC-88 and Sharp X1 versions the water music is of course heard, but it still uses the normal underground palette and tileset.

There are two water coin rooms in this level, one uses the underground palette and the other uses the standard water palette.  To me they look correct based on this map

I might go back and fix the music in those two spots.  I found another minor minor glitch where the wrong sprite bank shows for one frame when you collect the wing so there's a reason to make a new release

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 18, 2022, 09:32:38 pm »
There are two water coin rooms in this level, one uses the underground palette and the other uses the standard water palette.  To me they look correct based on this map

I might go back and fix the music in those two spots.  I found another minor minor glitch where the wrong sprite bank shows for one frame when you collect the wing so there's a reason to make a new release
I didn't know World 6-2 had three coin rooms! The first with the underground palette, as I said before, uses the ground level theme (just like the 2-3 goal area), while the second had water mixed with the standard underground tileset and water theme. Then thanks to you, there was indeed a third one with the standard water tileset and theme.

I wonder exactly how we can get the ground level theme to play in the 2-3 goal area and the first coin room in 6-2? While we know any level bearing the underground palette would normally use the underground level theme, what I want to do is make an exception somewhere in the program code just for these two occasions.

~Ben
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:48:55 pm by SMB2J-2Q »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 18, 2022, 10:12:42 pm »
I wonder exactly how we can get the ground level theme to play in the 2-3 goal area and the first coin room in 6-2? While we know any level bearing the underground palette would normally use the underground level theme, what I want to do is make an exception somewhere in the program code just for these two occasions.

yes there would have to be an exception made in the code to account for these.  it's not a high priority to me to fix it but I don't see why it shouldn't be as accurate as possible

SMB2J-2Q

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 18, 2022, 11:39:31 pm »
yes there would have to be an exception made in the code to account for these.  it's not a high priority to me to fix it but I don't see why it shouldn't be as accurate as possible

Here is how the code was written for the area music selection by level type:
Code: [Select]
MusicSelectData:
.db WaterMusic ($02)
.db GroundMusic ($01)
.db UndergroundMusic ($04)
.db CastleMusic ($08)
.db CloudMusic ($10)
.db PipeIntroMusic ($20)

GetAreaMusic:
             lda OperMode ;if in title screen mode, leave
             beq ExitGetM
             lda AltEntranceControl ;check for specific alternate mode of entry
             cmp #$02 ;if found, branch without checking starting position
             beq ChkAreaType ;from area object data header
             ldy #PipeIntroMusic ;select music for pipe intro scene by default
             lda PlayerEntranceCtrl ;check value from level header for certain values
             cmp #$06
             beq StoreMusic ;load music for pipe intro scene if header
             cmp #$07 ;start position either value $06 or $07
             beq StoreMusic
ChkAreaType: ldy AreaType ;load area type as offset for music bit
             lda CloudTypeOverride
             beq StoreMusic ;check for cloud type override
             ldy #CloudMusic ;select music for cloud type level if found
             lda MusicSelectData,y ;otherwise select appropriate music for level type
             sta AreaMusicQueue ;store in queue and leave
ExitGetM:    rts

This, again, would need to be re-written in order to allow for the two exceptions I mention. This would also mean having to rewrite other sections of the program code to remove (if necessary) these particular checks that applied to the original written coding (or parts of it) above (via branches, jumps and jump-to-subroutines, if any) in favor of the newer ones which also suit the two exceptions mentioned.

For example, we could create a check to determine: are we in underground room $XA or $XB (example of the special room codes for 2-3 and 6-2)? If so, play #GroundMusic, otherwise #UndergroundMusic.

~Ben
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 06:52:10 pm by SMB2J-2Q »