Played it. Loved it. What a thrill.
I thought the intro splash screen fit well. On the other hand, I thought the transition between Peach's message into the staff roll was way too quick and abrupt. Even just an extra loop of the Ending BGM would have helped it breath.
I think you're right. I tried it out with two loops and it felt slow, but one still felt too fast. I think I'll set it to two loops of the music
Now onto actual (maybe) bugs, and my apologies for the lack of screenshots.
- I'm on a Mac. Game wouldn't run on Nestopia, be it standalone or through OpenEmu as a core. Just a black screen, no audio. Had to use FCEU.
I tested it on FCEUX, PuNes, Mesen and a real NES using a PowerPak.. I didn't try Nestopia though. [Edit: just tried it on Windows Nestopia and it worked...?]
- At the start of 3-2, I hit two blocks and had two red mushrooms on the screen at the same time. I was small Mario. Grabbed the first mushroom, became Super Mushroom. Grabbed the second mushroom, became Fire Mario. Not sure if this is really a bug or just part of the core engine as I don't recall ever encountering two mushrooms at once in SMB before.
You can't actually have two power ups on the screen at the same time in SMB, this is an engine change. I checked the game play video and getting a second mushroom gives you firepower in the original px88/x1 version
- At the very end of 7-2 (flagpole/castle screen), the bottom left of the cloud to the right of the top of the castle was cut off. Just a skyblue tile was there.
- After the short Peach message at the end of the game and we start the staff credits, you have the 35th Anniversary message and credits. It reads "Ported to Famicon". I suspect this was intentional as a strict romanization, and not a typo - but it struct me as odd all the same. (on a similar note, would prefer English enemy and item names at the end of the game)
Thanks, that is indeed a typo! As far as the English vs Japanese names.. I think it's fun to see the japanese names for the enemies, and since the game was only released for Japanese computers, I felt it was appropriate. That's why I put Famicom instead of "Ported to NES" as well. I did consider putting both japanese and english.
Outside those, I also noticed some weird flickering in the HUD, but by experience I know this is caused because of too many sprites on-screen at once, as Zelda 2 does the exact same thing, so it's more of a hardware thing than the actual hack, so no biggie there.
Yes, I noticed that especially with 5 enemies on the screen and then hitting coin blocks. I'm not sure if my added code is bogging down the game more than the original or if that's just the original game engine. SMB doesn't often have that many enemies on the screen at once, they're more spread out.
PS: Oh btw @frantik, please let me know when (and if) I can still contact you regarding that other thing I messaged you about
Sure, shoot me a message once I upload the hack to the RHDN database in a few days
I'll fix up these changes and put out the updated version
I'm up world 5 now, and so far no bugs, this hack is gangsta.