Translations: Tales of Phantasia PSX Beta Testing Begins

Started by RHDNBot, December 09, 2007, 05:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sa♥tsu

Quote from: Suzaku on December 11, 2007, 12:00:04 PM
Way to go, guys!

Interestingly enough, macrons (those symbols over the vowels) are generally considered the *most* proper way to romanize Japanese in a formal setting. They're by no means the only way, but you tend to see them far more often once you get rolling on novels, manuals, etc. Besides, using macrons saves on string length :P I love the things. They're clean, simple, and take up less space. I wouldn't mind seeing them in more game translations, actually.

Strictly speaking, they are the correct way to represent long vowels in Revised Hepburn romanisation, which I believe is most common. The native Japanese standards are similar, in that using a circumflex is the standard.

Then there's crazy shit like romanisation variations used for road signs and passports.

(おう would be "oo" in Modified Hepburn, which is a more recent revision that no one uses except for smelly academics because "oo" looks dumb.)

throughhim413

http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2007/12/14/beta-clarification/

I've made a post on the blog to help and reiterate some of these points that we're having trouble driving home.

Short version:
- Don't ask to beta test.
- PSP sprites are not part of the main patch.
- The game will work on real PSX/PS2/PSP hardware.
- I'm not telling you when the release date is.

Maegra

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

throughhim413

What Gemini has been toying with is the idea of creating a patcher that would extract the sprites directly from the PSP ISO and copy them to the PSX one.  Obviously the purpose here is to confirm that the user actually possesses the PSP version of the game, the same idea behind not releasing a pre-patched version of the translation patch.  But this isn't a high priority at the moment, we're focused on the beta test and release of the translation patch before we worry about the sprites.

Suzaku

Yes, functional translation patch first, bells and whistles second!   ;)

I'm really looking forward to this one, with or without PSP sprites. Is there really that much of a difference in the sprites?

DarknessSavior

Check the Projects thread for it. Gemini made some screenshots using the PSP sprites. Personally, they both look good, so it's not a huge deal, but I think the PSP ones would look better. >.>

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Suzaku

Oh, I saw those shots. I just didn't notice any real differences.

Lilinda

Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Lashiec

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on July 30, 2012, 12:13:29 PM
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Suzaku

Oh, man. On the one hand, I want that PSP for Christmas. On the other hand, I want to play this.... d'oh!  :crazy:

KaioShin

Boo, what's the point in Christmas presents if you spoil the surprise  :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lilinda

Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Suzaku

Guadozoku

Wow, for the first time in my life, Christmas Day won't be a total snoozefest after the coolness of Christmas Eve.  ;D