News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Tales of Phantasia PSX: Making the Energizer Bunny proud.  (Read 13866 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Cless

The project that’s still going (for almost eight years now), Phantasian Production’s Tales of Phantasia PSX continues to roll along smoothly. Is the end finally in sight?

It sure seems to be! The script translation is now somewhere around 80%. The ASM hacking is almost done– there’s only one major thing left to add to the game: Subtitles for the game’s voice-only prologue battle. Other than that, just a small amount of refining and optimization.

That said, the ground work for skit subbing has been laid and we can get subtitles to appear on the screen when we want them. We’re now refining that hack to make them appear more like standard video subtitles.

A lot of cosmetic hacking has happened and I’m pretty much ready to call the layouts of the most recent set of screenshots to reflect what the final patch will look like. I am very satisfied with how it’s turned out.

I’ve put in some small additional content to the game. I added two insane extra difficulty levels (was a pretty easy hack) if for some reason the original hardest wasn’t enough for you. I’ve also added all encounters with the game’s nemesis to the game’s bestiary menu, who was mysteriously absent in the original game.

I’m trying to aim for a release within a few months. But the script revision process is going to be a very, very thorough and exhaustive one to ensure quality and accuracy.

Anyway, the unabridged version of this update can be found at my website, with perhaps too many screenshots (56k warning?).

RHDN Tales of Phantasia Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.tales-cless.org/)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Tales of Phantasia PSX: Making the Energizer Bunny proud.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »
Damn, man, two awesome patches are gonna come out for this game. :thumbsup:
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:35:17 pm »
Damn, man, two awesome patches are gonna come out for this game. :thumbsup:
Like Dragon Quest 5, without the drama. ;)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:17:55 am »
totally, and talk about perseverance!
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:05:00 am »
I wonder who will finish first?  It kinda seems like a race right now just because they are both close to completion.  (yeah I know they aren't actually racing)
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:41:47 pm »
I wonder what patch should I choose once both are released :-\
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 01:40:57 pm »
I just beat tales of phantasia last year (on the snes), so I will probably wait and hear some opinions first to see which one is more enjoyable.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 02:43:06 pm »
maybe they'll both be enjoyable in different ways (shocker!)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chester

• SEP #$20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »
I'm doubtful about the status of this translation ::)

Also, the font looks terrible to me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:12:02 pm by Chester »
Close the world, txEn eht nepO

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 04:09:11 pm »
I'm doubtful about the status of this translation ::)

What's so unbelievable about it? This is a report on things that have gone on since our August update, not stuff that happened overnight.

Chester

• SEP #$20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 04:19:57 pm »
How is it possible that after a week of work you reached 40% of the translation, and after other 2 months (and more) you are only at 80%?
You should have been at least at 800% :D

You showed so far every tiny update for menus, but nothing about dialogue? Only because they don't have proper formatting?

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 04:32:10 pm »
How is it possible that after a week of work you reached 40% of the translation, and after other 2 months (and more) you are only at 80%?
You would be at least at 800% :D

You showed so far every tiny update for menus, but nothing about dialogue? Only because they don't have proper formatting?

It was at 40% because that's how much of the script Cyllya sent me at the time. Since that time, Cyllya sent me the remaining 30% she had done and then I received a 5% chunk that Shinhoshi had done. _Bnu has also translated about 5% of what I sent him. So, there you have it, 80%.

Klarth is the one programming the script formatter. Anyone who knows him knows that he doesn't have all the time and motivation in the world. Who says translating can't happen in the background?

If you hate our project so much, then why are crapping in my thread? Maybe you could be a little uh... more civil and constructive?

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 04:35:22 pm »
If you hate our project so much, then why are crapping in my thread? Maybe you could be a little uh... more civil and constructive?

Exactly.

If you aren't interested in this patch keep out of it's threads. This isn't a playground for forumkids to bash projects. I'm sure Gemini and throughhim don't appreciate the image you give their project with such behaviour either. This isn't a competition.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Chester

• SEP #$20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 04:45:09 pm »
Excuse me, I didn't intend to offend anyone :)

I was only doubtful because there were no dialogue screens at all while there are so many for everything else.

throughhim413

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 04:48:56 pm »
I'm sure Gemini and throughhim don't appreciate the image you give their project with such behaviour either. This isn't a competition.
I'll just echo this sentiment, though I want to make a more general statement, not one particularly about what Chester said.

It's not like there's any way to prevent people from making the release of two separate patches into a competition, but those sentiments have never been expressed by either of our projects.  If people want to make this into a competition, let them judge our work when all is said and done.  If you dislike one project, well, as Cless said, good thing we have two.

I'm not interested in fighting a battle of words.  Disagreeing sentiments on translation and hacking style created two projects, but I don't recall there ever being any animosity between us.  We're all doing our best in our own way, so let's leave it at that.  If you want to comment on Gemini and my project, please use our thread.  Not that it's bad to discuss differences, but at this point, arguing about anything is pointless (though even later, it'll still be pointless).  There are currently 0 released ToP patches after all.

SkywardShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 05:52:10 pm »
I've been looking forward to the completion of this translation for a pretty long time. Keep up the awesome work, team!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 05:59:53 pm »
Also, the font looks terrible to me.
Personally, I like the font Chicago, but the lowercase "k", the exclaimation point and the question mark could all use slight touch-ups to make them look a little more aesthetically pleasing.
Something kind of like this: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/51793Moeman/top_NOTMINE.png
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:13:56 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 06:16:02 pm »
Personally, I like Chicago, but the lowercase "k", the exclaimation point and the question mark could all use slight touch-ups to make them look a little more aesthetically pleasing.
Something kind of like this: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/51793Moeman/top_NOTMINE.png

I might give those mods a try.

I've tried two other fonts for the 16x14 text in the past, but this one by far, I felt, suited the game better than any of them by a good green country mile. One part of it is that it has that "Classic RPG" vibe to it, and some might say that Tales of Phantasia *is* well-deserving of being called a classic. We on the project believe it is, at least.

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 06:50:07 pm »
Excuse me, I didn't intend to offend anyone :)

I was only doubtful because there were no dialogue screens at all while there are so many for everything else.

i'm not sure why you would assume the number of dialogue screenshots would be proportional to script progress. if you've seen one, you've seen them all, from a technical perspective. the menu shots are actually all different in that separate hacking is required for each one... i assume.

and plus, i would assume you would want to see the dialogue when you play the game, rather than having it ruined for you beforehand.

that aside... as i said in the other thread, great job, cless. the screens all show a high level of care and attention for the details.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 08:11:19 pm »
I might give those mods a try.

THANK YOU!
This has bugged me for the longest time, and I was afraid that I'd never get to say something about it.
I didn't want to be one of those lamers and register on your forums saying "lolz, hay u guyz need 2 fixx dis lololololol" and never post again, or email about it since I see those kind of emails as "THIS WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! FIX IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone!" emails.

So yes, thank you for the consideration.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.