News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 202162 times)

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2021, 10:46:20 am »
Yes, someone is working on it.

VegGameHead

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2021, 03:35:52 pm »
That's great to hear!   :woot!:

This is probably my personal most anticipated release in years.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:55 pm »
I was thinking about the number of released translations I have to my name, which is currently at 89, and I think I might hit 100 by the end of the year. I have like half a dozen nearly finished translations in the pipeline and certainly more in the works.

Recently, I decided to tackle a new translation of Famicom Wars. It all started when Graphicus randomly showed me a title screen design for the game. It was too big to fit into the ROM, so he did a smaller design and I started hacking the game proper. Not a lot of text and fairly easy to work with. I converted the vertical menu system to display horizontally, which looks much nicer. I will probably do some additional work on the unit names to match the work done on the GB version.

And because I was curious about GB Wars, I hacked that game as well. I'm gonna need a translator to go through all the unit and island names eventually, so that all the terms etc. are consistent across games.

Anyhow, hacking these strategy games has been a change of pace that I've enjoyed so much so that I think I will start hacking some more of these types of games. Fun fact, I randomly imported the Famicom game Cosmic Wars and SD Sengokuden 2 years back. Cosmic Wars looks like a Konami rip-off of Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu and the SD Sengokuden series was the precursor to SD Knight Gundam.

Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2021, 03:03:38 pm »
Love that title screen! Previous efforts always seemed to get the size and perspective wrong. This one looks much more accurate.

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2021, 03:31:45 am »
Any news on Megami Tensei 2's guide translation?

I really can't wait to play Megami Tensei 2 in English...

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2021, 06:11:39 pm »
Sorry for bumping this thread, but did something happen to the person in charge of translation of Megami Tensei 2 manual?
I fear that this might get Megami Tensei 2 trnaslation to be never released...

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »
Don't worry, it'll be released eventually. As far as I know, the manual is still being worked on, but I don't ask for updates with this being a hobby and all.

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 01, 2021, 04:01:36 pm »
Don't worry, it'll be released eventually. As far as I know, the manual is still being worked on, but I don't ask for updates with this being a hobby and all.

Why not release it without manual, and then add manual later?
Since translation patch is finished, i just can't wait to play it...

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2021, 05:58:32 pm »
Pennywise, are for the Kunio games, are you using the official translation or a new one?

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2021, 02:53:06 pm »
I suppose I'll do a year-end post. 2021 wasn't quite my year for releases, but next year outta be fun including lots of surprise releases.

NES Wars is stalled out. That should be fully hacked, but the stuff like the stage names, general names aren't 100% translated. I was thinking of asking one of my favorite translators to finish up the translation for me once she's done with a few other things we're working on. I'm not gonna follow the Advance Wars stage names because some of them are either made up or censored. If I do end up localizing some of them, I'll just use my own naming convention.

GB Wars is in a similar situation, but the hack is partially broken. I had to readjust RAM for the increased length of the unit names, but it's slightly broken atm. There's also a ton of messages that need to be converted into graphics. On the bright side, GB Wars Turbo is apparently the same game, but with extra content. So that would be a logical next project where most of my work should carry over.

Oni II is basically finished at this point, but I've yet to begin my playthrough to check everything thoroughly.

Erika and Satoru's Dream Adventure is fully translated, but it's not hacked at this point. I have to reevaluate my hacking methods before I move forward with the project to finally finish it.

I started a new translation for the FDS Zelda clone, Dandy last year. That's basically done.

And since I was hacking the FDS recently, I decided that my next FDS project will probably be Mr. Gold. I've dumped the text and have worked out a plan of action to best hack the game. I should be able to produce pretty good results with that. Though I'll need a translator and I probably won't start hacking it until I clear most this backlog I got going on.

Nekketsu's are stalled out atm. I really need to finish Kakutou Densetsu, but I have to hack the passwords and don't really feel like it. They will be using nothing from the new official translations.

Bunkai

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2021, 11:58:12 am »
First of all, pretty impressive work. [Seriously, I take my hat off]

I've made a tiny search for Mr Gold in google, and it's a space opera adventure or something alike, one of the few screenshots is literally "Have you read the instruction manual properly? It may have some tips."
You may want to have that into account.

Anyways, The adventure game seems interesting i would like to help with the translation, if you decide to take it. Keep me posted about that one.

Best regards,
and thank you for all you have done and do for the community.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 01:32:34 pm by Bunkai »
Curiosity leads to knowledge,
be curious.

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 31, 2021, 12:39:54 pm »
I suppose I'll do a year-end post. 2021 wasn't quite my year for releases, but next year outta be fun including lots of surprise releases.

NES Wars is stalled out. That should be fully hacked, but the stuff like the stage names, general names aren't 100% translated. I was thinking of asking one of my favorite translators to finish up the translation for me once she's done with a few other things we're working on. I'm not gonna follow the Advance Wars stage names because some of them are either made up or censored. If I do end up localizing some of them, I'll just use my own naming convention.

GB Wars is in a similar situation, but the hack is partially broken. I had to readjust RAM for the increased length of the unit names, but it's slightly broken atm. There's also a ton of messages that need to be converted into graphics. On the bright side, GB Wars Turbo is apparently the same game, but with extra content. So that would be a logical next project where most of my work should carry over.

Oni II is basically finished at this point, but I've yet to begin my playthrough to check everything thoroughly.

Erika and Satoru's Dream Adventure is fully translated, but it's not hacked at this point. I have to reevaluate my hacking methods before I move forward with the project to finally finish it.

I started a new translation for the FDS Zelda clone, Dandy last year. That's basically done.

And since I was hacking the FDS recently, I decided that my next FDS project will probably be Mr. Gold. I've dumped the text and have worked out a plan of action to best hack the game. I should be able to produce pretty good results with that. Though I'll need a translator and I probably won't start hacking it until I clear most this backlog I got going on.

Nekketsu's are stalled out atm. I really need to finish Kakutou Densetsu, but I have to hack the passwords and don't really feel like it. They will be using nothing from the new official translations.

No news about Megami Tensei 2?

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2021, 02:12:41 pm »

No news about Megami Tensei 2?

You don't look at the front page or latest translations section?

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2022, 03:00:51 am »
You don't look at the front page or latest translations section?

O_O I'm sorry, i've checked it few days ago, and there was nothing, so i did not expect it to be there! O_O
Thank you so much! It's the best New Years gift for me this year! ^^

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 12, 2022, 10:34:24 pm »
Hey Pennywise, if you're ever looking for a quick project, check out Hao-kun no Fushigi na Tabi for the FDS. The only Japanese is in the intro and ending (both are really short).

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:39 am »
Eh, I'm not feeling that one. Looks like more trouble than it's worth.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2022, 07:41:01 pm »
Eh, I'm not feeling that one. Looks like more trouble than it's worth.

I already have save states for the ending. So no one would even have to play it to test it :P
And the text is not even compressed. It can be read with a plain text editor.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2022, 08:18:03 pm »
Well, if it's that easy as you say, I don't know why you wouldn't do it on your own. :thumbsup:
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2022, 01:19:11 am »
Well, if it's that easy as you say, I don't know why you wouldn't do it on your own. :thumbsup:

*easy for a hacker :P