News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 155606 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:44 am »
That could very be released this year as well. Tom and I will finish it after Otaku. Then we'll resume work on what could well be our magnum opus on the NES.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
Well, after a bit of a hiatus I am back at it.

Otaku no Seiza should be in beta pretty soon. I've already beaten the game myself. Might be one of the weirdest game I've worked on.

I'm also nearing the end of my work on Dead Zone. After a lot of starts, stops and considering throwing it in the trash, I can see the light now. Didn't help that I mismanaged the project and straight up botched it. I also changed a lot of crap that was hardcoded and broke the game. Very tedious to fix all that crap. Anyway, I've been playing through the translation and checking everything out. I've managed to clear 3 areas and I believe there's only 2 areas left. I'm hoping that I won't have to make any cuts to the script, but this is the FDS and PRG-RAM limits suck. I made the game's original dictionary compression better and I expanded some files so that the game uses all of the available PRG-RAM. Will it be enough? I hope so!

Once I get that nightmare behind me, I'll restart my playthrough/edit of SD Knight Gundam and finish that up. Then I'll start cracking down on all my other unfinished projects.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2019, 12:08:02 pm »
I might as well update this before the year's up.

I'm currently hard at work on a project that's a team follow up to a release from last year. Needless to say the release will be completely unexpected.

Once I get that out of the way, I'll probably finish SD Gundam next year and release some GB stuff. Maybe a few FDS projects while I'm at it.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:03 pm »

I've been working on Megami Tensei II for the Famicom recently. I've got a nice clean rip of the script, title screen's been hacked, intro's been hacked, along with a few other misc things.

Having worked on the first game and now looking at the sequel, I can immediately tell that the quality of coding is night and day between the two. The data is much more organized, clean and easier to work with. Every block text can be easily moved to another bank in the ROM with a simple change of a byte that determines which bank the text is located in. That pretty much takes care of space issues for misc text, but the large main text blocks won't fit in just 1 ROM bank. So I did a little hack that effectively doubles the amount of space I have available for text. However, I haven't really looked at the menus yet and can't do much until I have translations for all that text. I'm sure there'll be plenty of challenges to be had though.

I guess the only bad news is that the translation is now effectively on the backburner due to a lack of a translator. It probably won't be completed anytime soon. So I'll work on some other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:18:47 pm by Pennywise »

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2020, 12:11:51 pm »
I'm happy to read that Famicom Megami Tensei II might not be as troublesome to translate as the first game. I'll keep looking forward to its eventual translation, whenever that may be!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:40 am »
After a very long and arduous process, I've finally finished another game in the SD Gundam Gaiden Knight Gundam Monogatari. A bit of a milestone in that it's the first Knight Gundam game and I believe the only title to have a complete translation.

Anyhow, one less game in the backlog of in-progress translations and I do think I've been extraordinarily good about not starting new projects. I've poked around with a few games here and there, but have spent the majority of time working on a beast of a backlog. I've made extraordinary strides in hacking a complex RPG and I've recently started working again on a retranslation of Princess Tomato for the Famicom. It was a game Eien ni Hen wanted to do and it sat on the backburner for over 5 years. Insertion for the main script is setup and working, but the game needs to be hacked for expanded text. The title screen was compressed, but the compression was bypassed and the data loaded in the expanded ROM. All the misc text needs to be hacked as well. There's a still a lot of work to be done, but I'll knock it and reduce the backlog.

I have kinda started some new projects for a bunch of Kunio games on the Famicom. I've always wanted to do the entire series with a consistent translation across all games. I've done title screen hacks for Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, Nekketsu Dodgeball, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.I've also got a design for Nekketsu Kakotou Densetsu that I've yet to implement in-game. Nekketsu is being rendered as Fiery.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:13 am »
SD Gundam!! I was looking forward to it! As with Otaku Galaxy which I enjoyed a lot, it's one of the games I had on my "wanted to play" list. Now, if I'm not forgetting any other hidden gem, only Super Chinese 3 will remain among the nes RPGs I'm wishing for.

I've seen SD Gundam was released in 1990 (August), so its translation has been released practically on its 30th anniversary. Well played, indeed!  ;D

Thanks a lot for this new translation!

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 07, 2020, 04:46:21 pm »

I have kinda started some new projects for a bunch of Kunio games on the Famicom. I've always wanted to do the entire series with a consistent translation across all games. I've done title screen hacks for Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, Nekketsu Dodgeball, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.I've also got a design for Nekketsu Kakotou Densetsu that I've yet to implement in-game. Nekketsu is being rendered as Fiery.

Why mess with the Kunio games anymore considering they all got officially translated recently?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #268 on: April 07, 2020, 05:47:17 pm »
The simple answer is I believe there is something to improve upon in regards to the translation and some technical aspects. I've always wanted to translate the series and eventually I will do that. The projects themselves aren't a high priority and will probably be on the backburner for a bit before I ever release anything.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2020, 04:55:30 pm »

So, I've been spending most of my free time on finishing up Princess Tomato and I'm at the point where the entire game is almost playable and most of the important code hacks are finished. There's still a rock, paper, scissors part that has vertical text, but I think it's more of a graphic replacement. Plus some smaller misc graphics left.

I'm probably going to look into translating PC-88 version. I'd be interested in doing the other various ports as well, but that seems to be the most convenient version to look into.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2020, 05:24:32 pm »

So, I've been spending most of my free time on finishing up Princess Tomato and I'm at the point where the entire game is almost playable and most of the important code hacks are finished. There's still a rock, paper, scissors part that has vertical text, but I think it's more of a graphic replacement. Plus some smaller misc graphics left.

I'm probably going to look into translating PC-88 version. I'd be interested in doing the other various ports as well, but that seems to be the most convenient version to look into.

One of my favorite games of all time.
Loved to play it on the original NES and always was curious about the original, uncensored version.

I even did recreate the game in HTML/PHP version around 2003... But lost the server files and had no backuup. I remember I spent A LOT of time redrawing all game screens into modern pixel art.

Oh my, I miss that very much!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »

Nice work. I always thought Princess Tomato's localization was pretty good for the era, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I don't know about that got edited out (though I'm still surprised by some of the things they left in, like the shower scene). Always good to see even officially-translated games get a more careful modern treatment.

The computer versions use a text parser, don't they? Getting that to work in English sounds like quite the project... EDIT: Oh, haha, I looked it up and now I see -- the command inputs are in English, despite everything else being in Japanese. Wacky, but convenient.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2020, 08:47:46 pm »
If I had to guess I'd say probably 80% of these old Nintendo games, with at least a decent amount of text, their translations/localizations don't hold up. It's crazy how Nintendo's content policy resulted in some pretty significant censorship for a ton of games. Tack on the limited ROM space and you get a recipe for a flawed and limited translation most of the time.

Anyhow, if all goes according to plan, I'll be sending a WIP copy of the ROM to Eien ni Hen for a final review/edit in the next few days. After that, we'll get the little misc graphics translated, redesigned, start testing and put this old project behind us.

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2020, 08:16:06 am »
Complex RPG? Not Popful Mail for SNES, Pennywise-san?

After a very long and arduous process, I've finally finished another game in the SD Gundam Gaiden Knight Gundam Monogatari. A bit of a milestone in that it's the first Knight Gundam game and I believe the only title to have a complete translation.

Anyhow, one less game in the backlog of in-progress translations and I do think I've been extraordinarily good about not starting new projects. I've poked around with a few games here and there, but have spent the majority of time working on a beast of a backlog. I've made extraordinary strides in hacking a complex RPG and I've recently started working again on a retranslation of Princess Tomato for the Famicom. It was a game Eien ni Hen wanted to do and it sat on the backburner for over 5 years. Insertion for the main script is setup and working, but the game needs to be hacked for expanded text. The title screen was compressed, but the compression was bypassed and the data loaded in the expanded ROM. All the misc text needs to be hacked as well. There's a still a lot of work to be done, but I'll knock it and reduce the backlog.

Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2020, 04:34:27 pm »
Sorry, I'm neither working on or interested in translating that game.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 02:48:37 pm »
The translator for Princess Tomato is currently playing through the translation for a final check. It shouldn't be too long before it's ready for testing and release.

Megami Tensei II for the Famicom is officially back on. Though it never actually went anywhere and was steadily being worked on all through this time. As far as I can tell, 95% of the hacking is all done and all the misc text is translated. The main text translation is probably a 1/3 or so completed.

Lest I not forget the video I uploaded of this sweet cutscene.

https://youtu.be/bT6TKDH6hKM

A few other games will be entering testing as well. So, lots of releases this summer for sure.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2020, 07:49:52 pm »
Lest I not forget the video I uploaded of this sweet cutscene.

https://youtu.be/bT6TKDH6hKM

Oh, wow. I never knew much about this series, but that video just put it on my must-play list. I mean, questing to free the demon Pazuzu from a computer--sign me up!
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2020, 09:04:20 pm »
So, I'm not an expert on the series, but I'll break it down.

I believe Megami Tensei 1 was like a sequel to the novel the series was inspired/based on. Megami Tensei II is its own thing and basically only references the first game in a sort of game within a game throwback. So, the game is pretty much its own thing and no knowledge of the series is required. Naturally, it paved the way for Shin Megami Tensei, Persona etc.

It might just be the best RPG on the NES. Certainly the soundtrack is among the best on the NES. I especially love the overworld theme. It reminds me of March of the War Priests, which was the opening music used in The Abominable Dr. Phoebes, and I like to call it March of the Demons. I'll probably upload a video showing off the gameplay with that music featured.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2020, 06:30:16 pm »
Thanks for the series rundown. What little I heard of the music does seem pretty great.

It's too bad this wasn't released in the US, but having seen the video, it's obvious why.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2020, 09:24:59 am »
Summer's over and falls upon us.

My friends and I spent the summer slaving over a Saturn translation that will soon be released. It's not what you think it'll be. I had fun though despite all the trials and tribulations.

Translation on Megami Tensei 2 continues to crawl along and more and more, it appears the translation is really quite stable. Most of the hacking appears to be finished with only really 1 significant hack left.

So that screen originally displayed the items in 2 columns, but I made it 1 column to expand the item lengths to 14 characters. The issue is that you can get about 22 items at once, which doesn't work with my current hack. My solution is to display multiple pages of items, thus taking care of that little issue. But I have to write a lot of new code, which I don't feel like doing right now. Plus I also want to make sure that's the only ASM hack left to do once Tom finishes the game. Saving the best for last as they say.

I've also started working on Oni II for the GB again. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of the year, but I'm currently dealing with interrupts messing with my text relocation hacks.