News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 122489 times)

zonk47

• View Profile
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2016, 04:19:12 am »
VNs don't intimidate me too much, but I see MSG is all kana. That's going to be a bitch and a half to translate/edit, especially if there are a lot of scientific terms. Psy-O-Blade was pretty much the same, and whoever wrote the Japanese script liked to use made-up words.  :P

I you will allow... I do not understand why a person who is fluent in Japanese, but not necessarily Japanese themselves, would have more difficulty making sense of a script than a native speaker (particularly kana). I mean presumably there is a "apex" of comprehension of a language where you're able to make out what it means based on probability and context alone, so I'm wondering why a non-native Japanese speaker (who nonetheless enjoyed Japanese) wouldn't reach that same height in terms of being able to make out the meaning of a passage. (or do native Japanese also have these problems?)
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2016, 04:58:15 am »
With Onigashima, it'd probably be better to work on the Super Famicom remakes. From space issues alone.
The killer on FDS translations is finding free RAM space to insert hacks (yes, RAM, because it's a disk system and files get copied to RAM before they're run).

Yes, you are right. The RAM is here the bottleneck which makes the translation so difficult.
Another possibility would be to port the games first to the NES, which makes the project however more complex.
Onigashima has the same issue on the SNES concerning the direction of the text.

Btw:
Famicom Detective Club can be compared with Ace A.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2016, 09:58:10 am »
I will admit I still have a slight interest in working on FDS games, but the system is so much more of a pain to work on than the NES. When I finish most of my backlog, I'll probably pick up an FDS game. I've thought about doing the Famicom Detective Club games, but something like Mr. Gold or Time Twist interests me much more. In fact, Time Twist uses some kind of compression for its text that I'd have to reverse engineer. It's a challenge I'd love to tackle.

panmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2016, 01:15:29 am »
With Onigashima, it'd probably be better to work on the Super Famicom remakes. From space issues alone.
The killer on FDS translations is finding free RAM space to insert hacks (yes, RAM, because it's a disk system and files get copied to RAM before they're run).

As a huge fan of Detective Club games, I still visit this page everyday hoping for an english translation of the first game.

I know that there are memory issues with FDS games but I am sure that Nintendo released a GBA version in Japan with the two games together. I don't know if this has been discussed before but instead of trying to overpass all the memory problems of the FDS format wouldn't it be easier to use the GBA cart as a basis for the translation hack?

( Sorry for my bad english)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
Very likely the GBA port is an emulation of the FDS version so it would still be subject to FDS' limitations.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

panmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2016, 01:16:58 am »
Very likely the GBA port is an emulation of the FDS version so it would still be subject to FDS' limitations.

Thanks for your response!  :D If the GBA port is indeed an emulation of the FDS version then I see your point. But are you entirely sure about emulation? Your "very likely" comment made me think that there is still hope.  ;)

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2016, 12:37:49 pm »
I will admit I still have a slight interest in working on FDS games, but the system is so much more of a pain to work on than the NES. When I finish most of my backlog, I'll probably pick up an FDS game. I've thought about doing the Famicom Detective Club games, but something like Mr. Gold or Time Twist interests me much more. In fact, Time Twist uses some kind of compression for its text that I'd have to reverse engineer. It's a challenge I'd love to tackle.

Time Twist seems to have an interesting plot/setting(s), it's probably more fun to play than Mr. Gold all things considered (the latter is apparently very short though). Dead Zone is another game that could be potentially fairly interesting I believe, or at least historically important. As far as Famicom adventure games go, Ripple Island must have been quite advanced for the time, with multiple endings and all. Not a bad effort by Tokai Engineering.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:56:31 am by cccmar »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2016, 10:31:57 pm »
I've been plugging away at translating/localizing the prototype of Monster Party recently. I say localizing because some of the boss text contains jokes that don't work in English or references that hardly any non-Japanese speaker would get. Here's what I have do far.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:55 pm »
This is looking great! Do you plan on finishing that dummied out/unfinished boss and sticking him anywhere?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2016, 06:28:44 am »
Well you know, I have two phases in mind for this project. Phase 1 would cover all the translation hacking and phase 2 would be dedicated to polishing the game into a completed. So yes, the totem pole boss would be finished and added back into the game. I had made a help wanted ad to see if I could find someone to help me, but it appears no skilled hacker is interested in Monster Party. Also, keep in mind that I'm not really interested in releasing a basic translation patch for this game. It took me a few years just to have everything translated and it'll probably take me forever to do all the extra hacking etc.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2016, 01:38:32 pm »
So I posted a video of my upcoming translation of Musashi no Bouken. This is another one of those early fan translations that got butchered due to space limitations. Obviously like Rainbow Silkroad, our translation will be completely different and better than the old one. IIRC, aishsha and I picked up the game a year or two ago and decided to do it. Not sure why, but probably because it was short and would be easy for us to do. Anyhow, aishsha did most of the work getting the game translated and hacked. I'm doing my playthrough while also refining the game as a whole. It's in the same vein as Ninja Rahoi, but not nearly as wacky.

I was actually gonna focus on my GB projects, but Musashi ended up being low-hanging fruit I couldn't resist. So the GB stuff got pushed back again. My plan was to finish Heracles GB, which has been a project of ours for around 6 years now and it's almost done too. GB stuff should be next unless something else comes up.

I really haven't been picking up any new projects in the past few years and have been focusing on finishing my old ones. Even though I've released quite a few translations since, I've probably got at least a dozen other projects waiting for me. I'll keep chipping away as best as I can.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »
Awesome, good luck with that project! Which makes me wonder... as far as quirky Famicom games go, I wonder if anyone's working on Square's Tom Sawyer. That one seems to be quite wacky in places, although it's probably not really brilliant. There are still quite a few off the wall games like it for sure.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »
Someone is :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »
Well, I guess it's time for an update. I should have a few releases before the year is up.

I'm at the end of the game for The Adventures of Musashi. Gameplay-wise it's been your typical DQ clone, but man is it a solid game. The devs made sure the NPCs gave you hints to progress in the game, which is great because some of these older games don't tell you what to do. Also, the game's funny as hell. Not as wacky as Ninja Rahoi, but still quite charming in its own way. I briefly started writing an article on the game for HG101 (another side hobby) and once I finish my playthrough, I'll probably finish that up too and give this obscure game more coverage. While I'm at it, I might be inspired to finish a few of my other WIP articles...

I've also started my playthrough for Glory of Heracles GB, which I initially started in 2011 and 5 years later I'm finally nearing the finish line. I probably could've released this a few years ago, but let it sit because I was afraid there was still plenty of bugs to be found. My fears were unfounded though as I've fixed a few minor issues, one of which was something cosmetic in the original. Once I get far enough, I'll upload another translation video showing off all the work I've put into it. Perhaps some of my most extensive ASM hacks ever. After Herc, the goal is to start working on my other neglected GB games and get those released. A few Oni games, Destiny of an Emperor, Gargoyle's Quest, some Goemon game...

Anyhow, I've released two RPGs this year and I could potentially release two more RPG translations. I wouldn't rule out more translations being released this year either. So 2016 might end up becoming a very productive year, despite my busy schedule.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2017, 05:51:31 pm »
So, for a little diversion I decided to translate the Japanese version of Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball, Softball Heaven. You get to play as various critters and weird stuff that were removed in favor of more "human" characters. Plus it seems that the game had a bit of humor that got ditched as well. Anyhow, I've finished hacking everything and am just waiting on the player and team names to be translated. Player names are now 10 characters instead of 6 and team names are now 12 characters instead of 6. This should be my first release of the new year, followed by a few longstanding projects.

Anyhow, my playthrough of Herc continues. I'm probably somewhere near half done. In addition to making additional hacking improvements, I've discovered an annoying issue that requires some studying, but it's not impeding my progress.

I've also made some great headway into hacking the menus and misc text for Oni 2. Eventually I'll get back to that.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2017, 08:41:31 pm »
I guess time for an update on various projects.

Dead Zone - I started hacking this game several months ago and found a translator who has translated most of the script. I'm currently in the process of making the game playable and he's editing the script for context. It's a slow process and the game's programming is doing me no favors. This game has been on my to-do after I finished JESUS and was looking for other similar games to translate. I think if we can get past this beast, I'll start working on Mr. Gold next. That should fill my FDS quota for the next few years I think.

Oni 2- This game has seen small bits of progress with misc stuff mostly thanks to the efforts of rainponcho. He provided with the tools to deal with the title screen, which I've hacked up including the credits at the bottom now. He helped me fix the dialogue scrolling I broke with my 4 line dialogue hack. He also fixed up the shop screen for me. So, the hacking for the game should be ~80-90% complete now with more menu hacking for skills left and fixing broken text. Then the script needs a good edit. Given my numerous projects, might not be finished until 2018.

Heracles GB - rainponcho fixed an annoying glitch for me. Other than that, I'm still in the middle of my playthrough and edit. Like halfway done and I should've finished this last year and the year before, but you know how it goes. I think after this is finished, aishsha and I will retranslate Heracles 2 to make it consistent with our translation.

Metal Slader Glory - rainponcho gave me the info to change the text printing speed. What a guy! Anyhow, seems every character has their own speed, so I'll probably just speed up the main characters text speed.

I'll probably have a few small releases soon...

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:35 pm »
Great news! Metal Slader Glory looks amazing for the Famicom. I just discovered it recently, and I'm really blown away by the graphics.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:17 pm »
I'll start working on Mr. Gold next.
Tomato's probably not going to see this but he owes us some Mr. Gold gameplay action! :D LoL about LoL
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

reydo

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2017, 09:20:43 am »
I've been plugging away at translating/localizing the prototype of Monster Party recently. I say localizing because some of the boss text contains jokes that don't work in English or references that hardly any non-Japanese speaker would get. Here's what I have do far.

Great work! Are you working as a translator or it's a talent?

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

Metal Slader Glory - rainponcho gave me the info to change the text printing speed. What a guy! Anyhow, seems every character has their own speed, so I'll probably just speed up the main characters text speed.

You sure are a productive romhacker! :laugh:
But, wait a minute, isn't Garrett working on the Famicom version of Metal Slader Glory? So why did you choose to do this version as well?