News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 120629 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »
Hey, that's wonderful news. I was gonna ask you if you would be interested in editing more scripts for me, but I figured you've already done enough for me and didn't want to trouble you. Always nice when someone saves you the trouble though!

I guess Silkroad isn't too bad, some of the text is just basic with not a lot of fat. It became an issue of whether or not wanting to fill it out or not. Let me finish my hacks and I'll send you my files.

Metal Slader Glory will see a release eventually, just not anytime soon. We've got the script up on Google for open editing and the ROM is backed up perpetually in emails when I send the latest revision of the ROM to the translator. The script's around 600kb and still needs a lot of cleaning up and rewriting. My vision for the project is to the see script as well-written as it can possibly be. A good VN really depends on the quality of the writing and I don't want this project to be shit or mediocre. Unfortunately, working on a script of this size requires a long-term commitment and a sacrifice of many hours.

I should have a release next week though. I keep saying I'm gonna finish this weekend and the weekend before etc. I've been playing through and editing the translation of Gun-Dec, the Japanese version of Vice: Project Doom. I'm finally at the end of the game and in the middle of editing the big reveals. Unfortunately, it's a hell of a lot of text and I'm putting a lot of thought into the editing. I've also been comparing my translation with the official translation and I have to give the official translation a fail. There are parts where it follows the original text fairly well, but there are many parts that are just made up entirely and/censored. When I'm done with the script, I'll upload to my site if anyone wants to compare it.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2015, 06:23:55 pm »
Hey, that's wonderful news. I was gonna ask you if you would be interested in editing more scripts for me, but I figured you've already done enough for me and didn't want to trouble you. Always nice when someone saves you the trouble though!

I guess Silkroad isn't too bad, some of the text is just basic with not a lot of fat. It became an issue of whether or not wanting to fill it out or not. Let me finish my hacks and I'll send you my files.

No worries! Script editing is pretty easy (and fun) for me. Plus I usually do a translation check during the editing process. The only project I'll have to take a pass on is The 4th Unit.

VNs don't intimidate me too much, but I see MSG is all kana. That's going to be a bitch and a half to translate/edit, especially if there are a lot of scientific terms. Psy-O-Blade was pretty much the same, and whoever wrote the Japanese script liked to use made-up words.  :P

And yeah, I agree that VNs should be well-written. The text takes center stage and has to sound good/flow well to keep the player's interest. Let me know if you need help with MSG in the future and I'll see what I can do. :)
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2015, 07:12:13 pm »
No, Slader has a pretty extensive font set consisting of Hiragana, Katakana and a bunch of kanji. I don't think the game is too heavy on scifi terms and it also happens to be noteworthy for being written and designed by a manga artist. The only thing I can really recall about the game is Tadashi being a complete pervert and always hitting on women, staring at them etc. The game probably gets a bit scientific when you have to pilot the Slader towards the end of the game. That part's more like a simulation though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2015, 10:47:37 am »
I think you're doing the Famicom version?
Any idea how the SFC version is in comparison, storywise?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »
The script for the SFC version has twice as many strings as the FC version. It's the same game, same engine, same code etc. that's just been expanded a whole lot. The game's a dream to hack though as it uses 24 bit pointers for easy text relocation and guest has already written tools (modified Atlas) to handle extraction and insertion.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2015, 11:18:36 pm »
The Legend of Double Moon has been in testing for a few weeks now. I'm hoping testing will conclude in the next week or two so that I can release the patch. This game should end up being one of our better games and big props to Eien for doing the lionshare of testing and editing the translation, to get this game ready for prime time. Thanks to her, we now know how to trigger an alternate ending of sorts...

Anyhow, here's a preview of another upcoming translation...

I've got a killer backlog of translated games yet to be released...

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2015, 11:38:37 pm »
That's a pretty nice font! I'd improve the lowercase h (raise the hump by a pixel) but otherwise, yeah!

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2015, 04:37:58 am »
Will you hack in some of the gameplay changes to the Monster Party prototype from the final version?  I've noticed the prototype is FAR harder than the original, and there's also the level 1 music change.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2015, 12:18:43 pm »
Possibly, but if I do anything of that stuff, it'll be after I've hacked and inserted all the text. I've only done the main text so far and need to tackle the boss text next. This was designed to be a quick side project, but I got sidetracked with some other stuff and the project has lingered. I hope to get this thing done in the summer/fall along with a few other of my "quick" side projects.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2015, 06:17:43 pm »
Anyhow, here's a preview of another upcoming translation...

I've got a killer backlog of translated games yet to be released...
I know that game. Had it in backlog consideration for some time, but if someone else is doing it, cool.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2015, 01:53:58 am »
I've posted some previews vids for The Magic Candle in the YT thread for those interested. It was hacked and translated by aishsha a while back and I'm now just getting to it. I spent some time doing some refinement hacks for the game as well and am concentrating on the script edit and playthrough. There are 5 chapters for the game, I'm still on the first and probably about 1/2 done with the chapter.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2015, 08:17:26 pm »
I guess it's time for an update.

It only took me a few months to play through Magic Candle and edit the script, but I'm just about done with the game and it should be ready for testing. Speaking of which, Megami Tensei is in the middle of testing for 1.0 release. I had to overcome a nasty random crash, which I believe is now fixed as the tester hasn't encountered any more crashes. Pretty much testing won't start on The Magic Candle until Megami Tensei is all wrapped up or unless someone wants to volunteer to test.

As for the future, not really sure what will be next. I've got quite a few translations (A few unannounced) almost finished that need a playthrough and edit. I've got some smaller side projects like Godzilla and Monster Party that I've neglected and want to finish.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2016, 11:05:59 am »
Hot damn, I haven't updated this thread since the summer.

Anyhow, just finished betatesting for Rainbow Silkroad and will release it after we do one more quick playthrough to make sure everything's ok.

Other than that, at least two more NES translations should follow shortly. Afterwards, I want to start working on my various GB translations again and get those released.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »
Cool.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »
Starting new and new translation project is not a good idea. It has a good chance you will not finish even one from them. It is too much to work on every single game especial if no one care about that.

That's from a comment on one of my translation previews at Youtube. I lol'd at that. Most attention I seem to get is from people asking about Metal Slader Glory, which might end up being my most popular translation and my magnum opus too.

Anyhow, I will admit that I have a few too many projects at the moment, but I haven't really started any new projects in the past few years and have been focusing on finishing all my old ones. This year should see the release of several long-running projects, hopefully...

There's a new video of Shadow Brain in the YT thread btw. While in the course of my playthrough, I encountered a boss theme I liked. So video. I should be almost done with the game and will send it off for testing later this week. Afterwards, one more needs to start testing. I should start coordinating that one pretty soon.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:38:46 pm by Pennywise »

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2016, 04:30:17 am »
That's from a comment on one of my translation previews at Youtube. I lol'd at that. Most attention I seem to get is from people asking about Metal Slader Glory, which might end up being my most popular translation and my magnum opus too.

Anyhow, I will admit that I have a few too many projects at the moment, but I haven't really started any new projects in the past few years and have been focusing on finishing all my old ones. This year should see the release of several long-running projects, hopefully...

There's a new video of Shadow Brain in the YT thread btw. While in the course of my playthrough, I encountered a boss theme I liked. So video. I should be almost done with the game and will send it off for testing later this week. Afterwards, one more needs to start testing. I should start coordinating that one pretty soon.

I think that people often underestimate how much time it takes to come up with a quality translation patch. I, for one, am anxiously waiting for Shadow Brain, there weren't that many similar NES/Famicom RPGs, and besides it looks pretty neat. It is probably one of the few decent RPGs left for the system deserving of translation, so at least there's that. Looks like this year is going to be quite prolific in terms of translation patches. Would be cool to see an update on your site as well. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:32:28 am by cccmar »

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »
I would love to see Famicom Detective Club 1 and 2.
But I know it is a lot of text and hard to translate.
Same for Shin Oni Ga Shima. Although the text here is going from up to down, which makes the translation even more challanging.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2016, 08:51:29 pm »
^ Are those the only two Famicom Tantei Club games in existence?

If so, are they somehow similar to Ace Attorney series by Capcom?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:15 pm »
With Onigashima, it'd probably be better to work on the Super Famicom remakes. From space issues alone.
The killer on FDS translations is finding free RAM space to insert hacks (yes, RAM, because it's a disk system and files get copied to RAM before they're run).

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2016, 10:46:21 pm »
Wish you the best of luck on your projects.