News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 122531 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2014, 12:46:24 am »
So I'm working on the prototype of Monster Party. M-Tee made a custom Chiller-esque horror font for use with this game. He's also working on the title screen which will be shown later I'm sure. This intro was translated by Ryusui.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2014, 10:06:06 am »
Seeing it in action, there are definitely a few characters I need to revisit, especially in the capitals. And I think setting the punctuation so far to the left, where is solid for thinner fonts, was a mistake for such a bold font. I'll clean it up some more and send a revised image your way.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »
So it looks like I'll be releasing the original Oni for the GB in the near future. The game's been completely hacked and tested, but still needs a script edit and a playthrough by myself. Shouldn't take too long.

Glory of Heracles GB is almost finished as well, but there are a few things that need to be done. This project has been by far one of my most time consuming hacks ever. The amount of menus in this game that needed to be hacked were numerous and the amount of issues found were almost heart-breaking, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:46 pm »
So it looks like between aishsha and myself, we have about 5 projects in the running for a release.

I managed to finish the last of the reported issues for Heracles and have begun my alpha test and am currently editing the script as I play through the game. I still need to hack the text box for treasure, which uses this weird 1 line text box. The idea is to hack it to be like the normal text box.

The Legend of Double Moon is almost finished as well. I might end up doing some revisions to the title screen. There's also a minor issue with a small sprite appearing in battle. Aside from that, an awesome person is playing through the game for us and is editing the script.

We've also done a retranslation of Rainbow Silkroad. Still need to do the title screen and the game needs an edit and playthrough to test for issues.

We also have a mostly completed translation of SD Gundam Gaiden Knight Gundam Monogatari as well. Title screen needs to be hacked and there might be some untranslated bits here and there. The game has the weirdest name for some cards called "Cardass".

I was hoping for a release of Metal Slader Glory this year, but there's been a lack of progress on the script editing front. I've been too busy with other projects to get involved and the translator had a HD failure a while back. It might take a while for this one to be finished and I won't be satisfied until the script is anything but perfect.

I need to finish my side projects of Monster Party and Godzilla. Both of these are mostly hacked and translated, but have fallen on the backburner. I think once I finish Monster Party, I'm going to work on the Japanese Famicom prototype of Strider. The intro has like a theme song, which I think is cool. I've translated two other NES games that feature songs. The only issue with Strider though is that the lyrics appear to be sprites. The sprite limitation of the NES is quite a pain in the ass.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »
I played through about half of Rainbow Silkroad with the Gaijin patch before I got stuck. I want to say it was region 4 that I got lost. Neat game.
(I actually made maps of the world and dungeons I had reached)

Makai Island similarly had vertical sprite text. That had been changed to blank text screens in the prototype. Would probably require a pretty deep disassembly of the text code to make such a change.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »
Carddass is a well-know name among anime fans :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carddass

And as the game you referred to is a Bandai game, it perfectly make sense to use such a name.

Note : It's officially spelled with two "d" (official website : http://www.carddass.com)

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2014, 11:55:23 pm »
Huh, it's interesting you're doing a re-translation of Rainbow Silkroad, I just looked into that the other day and it seemed pretty good. I'll be looking forward to that release.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2014, 07:19:24 am »
Huh, it's interesting you're doing a re-translation of Rainbow Silkroad, I just looked into that the other day and it seemed pretty good. I'll be looking forward to that release.
The game itself is a real mess hacking-wise, starting from pointers. Considering the time it was done, it's a great translation, but it was mostly shortened and squished to fit original space. We tried to get rid of all the limitations and we succeeded.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2014, 10:31:41 pm »
That's great to hear! I love hearing about stuff like that.

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »
I'm really happy that you are re-translating Rainbow Silkroad, I love that game and own most of the merchandise made for this game (CYOA novel, soundtrack, strategy guide, etc.).
So I wish you guys the best of luck and looking forward to the newer translation.

Also I was wondering if you're going to fix some translation mistakes such as Littleland should actually be Ritardando.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:26 pm »
It's りタルランド originally. Where have you taken Ritardando from? And btw - were ARE looking a tester for this game, as except for the title screen - it's more or less done :)

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
Quote from: aishsha
It's りタルランド originally. Where have you taken Ritardando from?
Just to point out that the first character should be リ. I believe that リタルランド may be taken from the term リタルダンド or ritardando, an Italian musical term meaning "gradually slowing in tempo; retarding. Used chiefly as a direction." Literally means "slowing".

Not to mention weblio spelled ritardando as リタルランド here. And there are other sites that use the リタルランド spelling.

And btw - were ARE looking a tester for this game, as except for the title screen - it's more or less done :)
I would love to playtest this game! I have to see if I have time for this because I did wrote a walkthrough and have been meaning to get back into it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:24:22 pm by enigmaopoeia »

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »
Just to point out that the first character should be リ. I believe that リタルランド may be taken from the term リタルダンド or ritardando, an Italian musical term meaning "gradually slowing in tempo; retarding. Used chiefly as a direction." Literally means "slowing".
That I know, but it's still リタルランド and I still see no relations to Ritardando, as this is basically "a little kingdom by the Silk Road", as the intro says. Any mentions in the guide or something?

I would love to playtest this game! I have to see if I have time for this because I did wrote a walkthrough and have been meaning to get back into it.
I've passed it twice, so I don't need a walkthrough 8) We just have to betatest it, as one of the projects :)

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:31 pm »
That I know, but it's still リタルランド and I still see no relations to Ritardando, as this is basically "a little kingdom by the Silk Road", as the intro says.
Yeah, I was inclined to think this, but what is keeping me that is because Little is usually written as リトル, so it would be リトルランド (Littleland). But I'm cool with the Littleland spelling. Also if there is a reason mentioned, I am not seeing it neither from skimming through the novel or the strategy guide.

I've passed it twice, so I don't need a walkthrough 8) We just have to betatest it, as one of the projects :)
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't said that you needed a walkthrough. I said that I've been meaning to rewrite my own walkthrough, so I would love to re-play it again. But I do not have the time to betatest, but thank you for the offer.

Good luck on this project!

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
Yeah, I was inclined to think this, but what is keeping me that is because Little is usually written as リトル, so it would be リトルランド (Littleland). But I'm cool with the Littleland spelling. Also if there is a reason mentioned, I am not seeing it neither from skimming through the novel or the strategy guide.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't said that you needed a walkthrough. I said that I've been meaning to rewrite my own walkthrough, so I would love to re-play it again. But I do not have the time to betatest, but thank you for the offer.

Good luck on this project!
Betatest means replay again and see,if you have any suggestions :) And yeah, we corrected pretty much - eg., the names of the goods, which were mostly shortened due to space issues.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58:34 am »
Hm... how long is the game over-all? Depending on the length, I could try and squeeze it in if you'd let be beta test.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2014, 06:30:56 pm »
Hm... how long is the game over-all? Depending on the length, I could try and squeeze it in if you'd let be beta test.
Well... It's an rpg :)

redmax

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2014, 11:40:36 pm »
If you are talking about rainbow silkroad for the nes, it only took me about 20hrs to complete it. Also if you need a playtester for any rpgs. I have alot of experience, and alot of free time to help you with.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2015, 10:01:04 pm »
I really haven't been too active since the fall of last year. Part of the reason is I started playing Diablo 3 and got hooked into some mindless hacking and slashing with the Barbarian. Other than that, I haven't been too thrilled at the prospect of hacking these days.

To that end, I started a little side project to get me back in the swing of things. I thought it would be an easy project because all I have to do is expand the ROM and relocate half of the text to another bank, but the game is proving difficult to the point where I've been ignoring that task.

I did a bit of work on Rainbow Silkroad awhile back, but I ended up really hating the game. I did some aesthetic hacks including increasing the name of the main player to 8 characters, but need to a bit of work to finish the hack. Around the same time, I started my playthrough of the game and just did not like the story for the game. It's like the game's writers made no attempt to write a coherent story of the game. It makes my job of editing the text more trouble than it's worth.

I also need to start playing through the Glory of Heracles GB, but I'm afraid if I start playing through the game, I'll discover more issues/bugs that need to be hacked/fixed. I've literally made this game my bitch, but it still likes to bite me in the ass sometimes.

Metal Slader Glory is still at a standstill. I tried recruiting an editor for the game, but he's so busy he hasn't done any work on the game. Plus the translator's computer crapped out on him last year, which pretty much killed his progress on cleaning up the script. He's confident that 2015 will be the year of MSG, but the script still has a long ways to go before it'll be ready for primetime.

The good news is that Eien ni Hen, finished her playthrough and edit of The Legend of Double Moon. All that remains is to look into some minor technical issues and then I'll do a quick playthrough with cheats and fast forwarding. Then testing and release!

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »
I did a bit of work on Rainbow Silkroad awhile back, but I ended up really hating the game. I did some aesthetic hacks including increasing the name of the main player to 8 characters, but need to a bit of work to finish the hack. Around the same time, I started my playthrough of the game and just did not like the story for the game. It's like the game's writers made no attempt to write a coherent story of the game. It makes my job of editing the text more trouble than it's worth.

Okay, I'll bite. How bad is the script/story? I'm betting the game's in all kana, which just makes things worse.  ;)

Also, I enjoyed the hell out of Double Moon, and cleaned up the script a lot. For a game that's supposed to be a DQ clone, it just keeps on giving.

Also, poor Metal Slader. That project will probably never see the light of day.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.