News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My NES Translation Projects  (Read 120010 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: My NES Translation Projects
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2013, 12:43:21 am »
Comparing ENH's translation of the intro cutscene with Hudson's, the original translation isn't that bad. It embellishes a few things here and there, changes a few names (Flytrap Mountains -> Zucchini Mountains), but it seems to be fairly close to the original... of course, I could be wrong.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2013, 10:26:42 pm »
Comparing ENH's translation of the intro cutscene with Hudson's, the original translation isn't that bad. It embellishes a few things here and there, changes a few names (Flytrap Mountains -> Zucchini Mountains), but it seems to be fairly close to the original... of course, I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've been comparing some of the original translation to the Japanese and it's pretty different. For example, the coffee and donut are a cigarette and matches in the original, and there's a Shimenawa around the tree/shrine where Saladron hides. Also, a LOT of the characters' reactions are different, and there are references to more distinctly Japanese things, like a Jizo shrine, Hachiko and Koshien Stadium.

The original translation isn't bad, it's just censored, localized, and (I feel) takes away some of the game's personality. I'll post more specific examples if anyone is interested, but the short answer is yes, this game deserves a retranslation. :)
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:19 am »
Cool, then. I was just curious.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »
I suppose a more interesting question is how the NES/Famicom game compares to the original PC88 game and if there is a translation project for it, would Eien translate it as well?

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »
I suppose a more interesting question is how the NES/Famicom game compares to the original PC88 game and if there is a translation project for it, would Eien translate it as well?

I definitely wouldn't mind. I've grown quite fond of the NES version of the game and wouldn't mind taking a crack at the PC88 version.

Also, this Japanese website has a few pictures of the characters in the NES vs. the PC88 version. General Cantaloupe looks like more of a badass in the PC88 version, Princess Tomato actually has boobs, and Percy still looks really punchable.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »
Alrighty, I'd figured I'd do general state of things with my various translations partly because I could use some help from some capable individuals if their out their and willing to help.

Dragon Ball - I did a lot of work on this one reverse engineering all the pointer, event code data so I could get past this damn limitation of only being able to have 3 lines of text per string. I've been able to figure out how to add more pointers, so I can fit in longer translations for the parts that need it. The game has been mostly translated, but it's on the backburner. The goal is to finish this translation and move onto the final untranslated Dragon Ball 3.

Metal Slader Glory - Translator is working on his second draft of the translation. I also need to do some misc hacking interface hacks like the password menu and that special text that appears on top of the screen.

Mystery RPG - This one is completely hacked and mostly translated aside from some difficult puns. The script will need to be edited and space is a bit tight due to mapper limitations. I wouldn't call it an ordinary game and might be willing to have an outside party do the editing for me while I'm away for the summer.

Mystery RPG 2 - This one will be pretty cool once it's finished. I did an item interface so we didn't have to abbreviate any item names a few weeks back. Been translated and completely hacked with an editor on board.

Samurai Lord Musashi - Completely hacked and translating. We've got some minor pointer issues and I'm around 20% done with the script edit. I'm aiming to finish my edit before I leave.

Princess Tomato - A second pass translation has been finished, and a third pass is pending. I've also dumped all the misc text used by the smaller game font. It uses 8 byte fixed length strings for that part of the game. I was thinking of hacking some of the interfaces so most of the text could be 12-13 characters. Although some of it might actually be sprites, but everything on the translation of the text. At least this part of the game uses a full set of Hiragana and Katakana, so if necessary I have the room to make decent-looking squishy tiles. Also my font conversion from 16x16 to 8x8 still has some minor bugs which I need to fix. The translation will also need to be inserted into the ROM and a bank relocation hack so it will all fit no problems. It also looks like part of the title screen graphics are compressed and part aren't, kinda weird actually, but I think I can work around it. Finally entire text strings are loaded into VRAM directly. Given that this game initially used a 16x16 font, I have plenty of room for the code and data for an 8x8 VWF routine that I'd really like to add in the future.

Erica and Stan's Trippy Travels - I might need a translator for this, my initial one has been MIA for several months and I've only received the translated intro so far. A lot of the misc stuff has also been hacked, but the main problem is translation right now. I really love the new title screen design, but the title screen ain't easy hacking, especially when I have to deal with sprites and shit.

Moon Princess - This is an addendum to snark's previous translation. I had Eien ni Hen go through the script and clean up the grammar etc, so it's basically just a polished version of snark's translation. I also used Ryusui's title screen design for the new title screen. I also have some interface hacks for the commands that appear on the right side of the screen. Should be able to fit some decent translations in there.

Godzilla - On a whim I started hacking the Japanese version of this game. The title screen has been mostly hacked in and the intro inserted back into the game. I still need to figure out the timing of transitions between screens in the intro to account for the longer translation. Also there's a bunch of misc text that needs to be dealt with.

Riki and Kunio - This is a retranslation of that old crappy translation from the old days. I think the original title is Nekketsu Katou or something. Main script has been translated, but needs to be edited by someone who is hopefully a Kunio fan. I also need to decide on a title for the game and get some graphic work done for it. Hacking this one is pretty trivial from what I recall.

Guardic Gaiden - I'd really love to do a retranslation of this game for a more purist type patch. I'd like to mostly keep the same design as the original, but I want to pay homage to the original Guardic. The main roadblock is that the title screen graphics are compressed with some RLE variant. I've looked into it a bit but I need a coder who decompress and recompress the graphics for me. Help would be most welcome.

Bioinc Commando - For intents and purposes, this retranslation is finished and ready for testing, but I'm waiting on some cool localization type stuff to enhance the experience.

Gyruss FDS - I'd really love to do this translation, it's only an intro and ending, but the graphics are compressed with an RLE variant. I've actually commented the RLE code enough to where it'd just need a program to decompress and recompress it back in. Help would be appreciated.

Glory of Heracles Snap Story - This is my pride and joy. I've done some cool interface hacks and hacked in some text compression, plus relocated the overflow text to another bank. Hacking's about 95% finish and I expect this one to be smooth sailing. Someone's working on editing the script.

Samurai Lord Musashi GB - Completely finished, will release with NES game.

Mystery RPG 3 - Working on hacking this one and hope to finish most of it before I leave. Truth be told the game is kinda crappy, but somewhat historic I suppose.

Magic Knight Rayearth GG - Recently started looking into the Game Gear, and I love MEKA and the system is nearly identical to the GB. Filler translated this years ago, but the hacking died. So far this project is looking pretty easy.

Mashin Hero Wataru PCE - The Japanese version of Keith Courage. Translated, mostly hacked, but needs to be edited. I had started watching the anime series to do just that, but I wouldn't mind passing off the script for someone else to edit.

Also, I have updates planned for some my previous releases. I fixed a minor issue for my Contra translation, Grand Master, and 2.0 sort of patch for my favorite Goemon 2 translation. I figured out how to expand the ROM, so I don't have to cut the script down anymore. I also am planning on hacking out the Famicom Microphone parts of the game, and instead making it so that the text can be accessed from the 2 player controller. The main roadblock for this one is the goddamn weird arithmetic pointer format the general tools can't handle. I really don't feel like editing the pointers by hand and would prefer a custom inserter instead if anyone could help me. Maybe eventually we could reuse it for the Gaiden games which use the same format.

So for those of you who have bothered to read everything and think you might be able to help with either editing or some programming work, please contact me.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:13:37 pm by Pennywise »

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:56 pm »
Riki and Kunio - This is a retranslation of that old crappy translation from the old days. I think the original title is Nekketsu Katou or something. Main script has been translated, but needs to be edited by someone who is hopefully a Kunio fan. I also need to decide on a title for the game and get some graphic work done for it. Hacking this one is pretty trivial from what I recall.
Ah, Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu.  I made a sort of "faux localization" version of that a few years ago (I never tried submitting it since I wasn't sure where it would lie on the translation/hack line).  I know you don't really know me or anything, but I'd be willing to take a look if you like.  I also did the graphic work myself for it.

The hacking is pretty trivial.  There was one line that's stored a bit differently from the others (the message that displays when a special victory condition [e.g., 10 hazard hits] has been achieved) but that's the only oddity.

For a title: It roughly would translate as "hot-blooded fighting legend," but Nekketsu's a proper name within the series.  There's also a fan-developed PC version that I've seen referred to as "Legend of Burning Fighters."  It led me to a working title of Burning Fight for a while, but then I realized there was an actual game with that name. :P Eh, it's a start.
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »
Ideally I want the title to be somewhere in the middle of localization and translation. I was thinking something like Nekketsu Brawl Kings or Street Kings.

I suppose I could send you the translated script. I haven't bothered to hack the ROM yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:29:17 pm by Pennywise »

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »
OK.  My e-mail should be visible there.  That's the best way to contact me since I'm so used to just lurking at this point that I don't want to forget to log in here and miss a PM.
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2013, 09:12:05 am »
My vote goes for Street Kings. I would also be down for doing a title screen and other graphics if needed in the near future.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
I am back from my 3 month vacation and a release is forthcoming.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
@Pennywise If you don't mind me asking, how do you personally think of NEC PC-88 & PC-98 games? just curious & yes i understand it's off-topic lol

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2013, 01:13:47 am »
I am quite fond of a few PC-98 games and would even love to translate a few, but probably not this lifetime.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:34 am »
I am quite fond of a few PC-98 games and would even love to translate a few, but probably not this lifetime.
oh, i actually like them as well hopefully collect a few someday maybe :) their are a couple of great unknown RPG's like Wind's Seed & Adventure games like J.B Harold, WILL - The death trap II, etc.. and i would LOVE to see a couple of translations done soon as well!

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:19 am »
Samurai Lord Musashi GB and NES versions. I can't wait. I stopped translating bc I was hoping you'd finish it. And Obviously you're better at this than me lol

Wynd

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »
I'd probably give Musashi Lord another month. I'm still working on polishing the script.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2013, 01:13:56 am »
I'll keep you to that :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »
I've been able to make excellent progress on at least half a dozen of my projects and yet none of them are ready for release yet. Something that makes me a tad depressed of not being able to rid myself of my translation backlog. The main difference between now and the past is that most of the games are text-heavy like RPGs and text adventures. Well, if anything 2014 will be a great year of releases for me.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2013, 10:48:33 pm »
I like your work, I'm still highly interested in a few.

Good luck

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2013, 01:07:51 am »
In case anyone missed this translation preview for Musashi Lord.

http://youtu.be/ALKnAkbZEko

I'll be doing another one for the 1st scenario or if I find some good material in the 3rd or 4th scenarios. As far as progress goes, work continues on the script edit in earnest. I've just completed my edits for the 2nd scenario and have finished editing the intro for the 3rd scenario. Despite being an action-RPG this game has quite a bit of text, which has slowed my progress a bit, but surprisingly the story's pretty good. It's been pretty fun to edit this one, the final product should be pretty good.