News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mega Man 7 SRAM Patch

Started by Solid One, March 02, 2022, 09:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid One

Quote from: G30FF on March 07, 2022, 08:34:49 AM
I have a bug report for compatibility with the Restoration patch. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the SRAM patch itself or just SRAM + Restoration though, I didn't test it on the standalone patch.

In Slash Man's stage, near the end you use Scorch Wheel to burn down the trees and reveal a ladder to unlock Beat. For some reason, this is only igniting the bottom half of the trees, and leaving the top half of them still visible. On the tree with the ladder, this led to the ladder being visible, but the top half of the tree still being present. I thought this was just a graphical glitch, until I tried to climb the ladder to Beat, only to be stopped by the tree graphics, which acted as a wall preventing access to the room with Beat.

I retested on a rom with just Restoration on it, and the problem does not occur there. Again, I did not test this on the solo SRAM patch so I don't know if it's an issue there, or if it's the combination of the two patches.

I tested the SRAM without the Restoration last week, and I remember being able to burn the trees and get Beat without issues. But I haven't tested the same behavior on the Restoration + SRAM. Instead, I beat the first four bosses and the last levels but haven't played the levels of the other four bosses.

Not sure if it's something from the Restoration or the SRAM. I'll test this later on my side, to see what happens.

Solid One

G30FF is right. After the Versus Mode was added to the title screen, denim and I detected a problem in our ASM code due to an instruction being incorrectly assembled, that had a relation with the burning trees code. That caused the problem you reported, and it looks like both standalone SRAM and Restoration+SRAM patches were affected.

Anyway, we updated the SRAM patch once more, with version 1.2, which should fix that bug in the standalone patch, and is already available on the site. As for the Restoration+SRAM patch, here's another patch for you guys to test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrGp5AY8z8agITByQskfehjMmqt6Vfvt/view?usp=sharing.

Can you please test again?

G30FF

Thanks for looking into it! I'll give it a go when I have some time later today.

erpster2

Quote from: G30FF on March 07, 2022, 08:34:49 AM
EDIT: Sorry, you said Redux, not Refit. My mistake. But if they make a version of the SRAM patch that can be applied on top of Restoration, it should be possible.

March 07, 2022, 08:48:37 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I have a bug report for compatibility with the Restoration patch. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the SRAM patch itself or just SRAM + Restoration though, I didn't test it on the standalone patch.

In Slash Man's stage, near the end you use Scorch Wheel to burn down the trees and reveal a ladder to unlock Beat. For some reason, this is only igniting the bottom half of the trees, and leaving the top half of them still visible. On the tree with the ladder, this led to the ladder being visible, but the top half of the tree still being present. I thought this was just a graphical glitch, until I tried to climb the ladder to Beat, only to be stopped by the tree graphics, which acted as a wall preventing access to the room with Beat.

I retested on a rom with just Restoration on it, and the problem does not occur there. Again, I did not test this on the solo SRAM patch so I don't know if it's an issue there, or if it's the combination of the two patches.

the burning trees bug in slash man stage appears to occur with the 1.1 version of the sram hack.  didn't seem to occur with version 1.0 (and 1.2) though I am NOT using the "restoration" or other MM7 patches, only SRAM patch by itself

SotoJX

Quote from: Solid One on March 17, 2022, 08:22:09 AM
G30FF is right. After the Versus Mode was added to the title screen, denim and I detected a problem in our ASM code due to an instruction being incorrectly assembled, that had a relation with the burning trees code. That caused the problem you reported, and it looks like both standalone SRAM and Restoration+SRAM patches were affected.

Anyway, we updated the SRAM patch once more, with version 1.2, which should fix that bug in the standalone patch, and is already available on the site. As for the Restoration+SRAM patch, here's another patch for you guys to test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrGp5AY8z8agITByQskfehjMmqt6Vfvt/view?usp=sharing.

Can you please test again?

I've already tested version 1.2 of the SRAM+Restoration hack at 100% and it works great :thumbsup:, it even worked with some patches I applied from Refit (all except the graphics and text changes).

The only thing that may be a bit problematic for some is that like the original password system, the SRAM system does not record the Protoman encounters (before Shademan) when loading a game, so in case you want to get the ProtoShield without backtracking you should not turn off or restart the game. If you saved and loaded the game you should find Protoman again in the CloudMan and TurboMan Stage to be able to fight him in the ShadeMan Stage.

Only in the Restoration hack there is an option to accelerate the purchase of Auto items, but accelerating the purchase can generate a Glitch that corrupts the Auto text box, but there is nothing to worry about as it is a harmless Glitch present in the original Restoration Hack.

Pethronos

Well, aside from the reported issues, I'd like to point out that this hack is not compatible with old snes9x (not important), nor canoe. In order to improve it, it'd be nice canoe compatibility and the option to exit the save menu via any button.

Anyway it's amazing that it works in real hardware. It's a very good work despite the tiny issues reported. Thanks!!

dewhenson07

ok so i just downloaded the new megaman nopass with restoration patch ant the title screen looks off i cant even use other romhack patches with it im trying to make a definitive version of the game using these patches

G30FF

Quote from: dewhenson07 on March 17, 2022, 08:13:59 PM
ok so i just downloaded the new megaman nopass with restoration patch ant the title screen looks off i cant even use other romhack patches with it im trying to make a definitive version of the game using these patches

The major improvement patches for Mega Man 7 are:
- Restoration (Adds boss select text, adds lab cutscenes for Roll and Auto, restores the Japanese ending text, changes the title screen to use a Japanese style logo, and adds the ability to skip cutscenes, including in the intro stage)
- Refit (Several gameplay tweaks to make it play more like the NES games, graphical updates including a new title screen, text updates, and a new font inspired by the NES)
- Redux (Identical to Restoration, except it uses the US ending text)
- Boss select text (Restores the boss select text)
- Rockman 7 Plus (Tweaks Bass's sprites, and restores the Japanese names of all characters)
- Mega Man 7 MSU-1 (Adds MSU-1 sound to the game if you play on a compatible emulator or flash cart)
- SRAM (Adds SRAM saving to the game, and adds the Versus Mode to the title screen)

Here's some general notes I've compiled on compatibility, based on my understanding, and personal testing:
- For Restoration, download the nopass + restoration patch from the SRAM forum thread to solve the compatibility problem between the two. It is known that SRAM and Restoration do not work together if you patch one on top of the other, mainly due to Restoration's Japanese style title screen.
- Redux does exactly the same thing as Restoration, except it reverts the ending back to the original one. You do not need both this and Restoration. I assume you could patch Redux in the same way as Restoration if you made a diff patch between Restoration and nopass+restoration, and then applied that patch to Redux.
- Refit's graphical updates, specifically the custom title screen, clash with Restoration's Japanese style title screen, and will break if you install it on top of Restoration. It will also break several lines of text that both Restoration and Refit attempt to update due to Refit's new font. Refit includes individual patches for all of its changes, and you can install all of them except for Text Fixes + Password, and Graphic Changes, on top of Restoration, or standalone SRAM, or really any US version of Mega Man 7. That will give you all of the gameplay changes from Refit, without the graphic changes, making it compatible with Restoration.
- Boss pre select text is included with Restoration and Redux, so the standalone patch is unnecessary if you use either of those.
- Rockman 7 Plus should be compatible since it updates Bass's sprite, and changes the names of characters to their Japanese versions, but I have not ever tried this, so I can't confirm it won't cause problems. Since it is meant to apply to a clean rom, it will not update any names appearing in the Auto or Roll lab talk cutscenes from Restoration.
- The MSU-1 patch should work, since it just affects the music of the game, but I have likewise not tested this.
- SRAM should work with most other patches listed above, as long as they don't attempt to update the title screen. I have not tested with plain Refit, but I imagine it would cause issues there, between Refit's new font and modifications to the title screen (it updates the text "PASS WORD" to "PASSWORD").

For my ideal Mega Man 7 using SRAM, I just have nopass+restoration, and the Refit gameplay tweak patches.

Pethronos

Last Redux version includes all Restoration features including the jap style title screen. They are basically the same, save for the ending I guess.

Apart from that, I agree with G30FF

G30FF

Quote from: Pethronos on March 18, 2022, 12:03:20 PM
Last Redux version includes all Restoration features including the jap style title screen. They are basically the same, save for the ending I guess.

Apart from that, I agree with G30FF

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! I updated my post accordingly.

I played more of the game (haven't finished it yet), but the tree bug in Slash Man's stage is fixed!

I will also agree with SotoXLX, the SRAM patch doesn't save whether you've seen Protoman or not, so if you load a save you have to revisit Cloud Man and Turbo Man before you can encounter him in Shade Man's stage. The old password system didn't track that either, but it would be nice if it did. It also doesn't keep track of whether you've obtained the big bolt from a stage or not (the large bolt that gives you 100 bolts, not the upgrade for Auto). Which isn't a problem, as the old password system didn't track it either, just something to note.

As an aside, one other feature that's missing from the game without the password system is the ability to start with all 8 boss stages available from the start. It doesn't hurt the game at all to not have it, though.

Pethronos

So if password system doesn't keep track of Protoman enconuters and the big bolt, there is no reason for the save system to do it  ;)

G30FF

Quote from: Pethronos on March 18, 2022, 01:36:38 PM
So if password system doesn't keep track of Protoman enconuters and the big bolt, there is no reason for the save system to do it  ;)

Very true. They're not deal breakers at all.

Pethronos

Hi all! Any plans of improving this hack's compatibility or implementing an exit feature?

BTW, there is a review noting incompatibility with Restoration. Do you think it's a good idea to put a link to the SRAM+Restoration download or to the forum thread in the entry??

Solid One

Quote from: Pethronos on April 03, 2022, 06:18:41 AM
Hi all! Any plans of improving this hack's compatibility or implementing an exit feature?

BTW, there is a review noting incompatibility with Restoration. Do you think it's a good idea to put a link to the SRAM+Restoration download or to the forum thread in the entry??

Hi. Just added the SRAM+Restoration patch to the site, as an addendum to the original Restoration patch. Should be reviewed in the next hours.

Regarding the exit feature, gotta check with denim later.

G30FF

I was thinking about it, and if adding a back button from the Load Save screen is not viable, perhaps a possible workaround would be that selecting an empty save file just loads the intro stage? It would make it so that entering Load Save with no existing game saves could still allow you to start the game without resetting.

dewhenson07

@Pethronos ok i know that about the mega man 7 sram with restoration and refit but theres just one problem the title screen itself when adding the patch to the rom

i bet you can see what i mean with the mega man logo with the top parts of the logo btw i also used a xbrz filter to make it more hd

Pethronos

Yeah, I can see it, but I'm not the author of the patch, simply submitted a diff patch (I don't know anything about hacking actually  :laugh:)

I hope that Solid or Denim can fix it.

dewhenson07

hey um Solid One was it um i was wondering if you could fix an title screen error i sent a reply on here about it witht eh megaman 7 japan logos looking off when the patch was made for the restoration could you be able to fix it

erpster2

it would also be great if OP (Solid One) can try to create SRAM patches for the Megaman 7 ROMs from other regions like Mega Man 7 (EUR) {or Mega Man 7 (E)} and for Rock Man 7 (JPN) as the current SRAM patches only work for the USA Megaman 7 rom and freezes/hangs on the non-USA MM7 versions