News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!  (Read 23413 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 03:33:50 pm »
Quote from: Bob Rork Woolsey Interview
BR: Since FF: Mystic Quest was originally made with the purpose of being released in the U.S. to promote RPGs, why didn't SQUARE work with you initially on the game text instead of writing it all in Japanese for you to then translate?

TW: I'm not certain! That just wasn't the way things were done.

Link?

*snickers*

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Bob_Rork_Woolsey_Interview.html

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 05:17:23 pm »
I got the impression that the US version was quite light-hearted. Benjamin wasn't a serious hero at all.

As for FF5... agreed, the PSX translation was dead awful, but I really enjoyed the GBA one. It was admittedly a bit incongruous, but still far more fun than the other stuff.

CANS

• NOT GAY(not that there's anything wrong with that)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2007, 04:08:17 am »
From what I have seen, the people that bash Woosley do so because his translation localizations aren't direct straight across romanizations. Such as... Sky Render.

So what's the big deal? If it sounds better than something cheesy, I'm all for it. I don't give much artistic license to a sect that believed for any amount of time that re-translating FF3/6's General Leo into "Shogun Leo" was the right thing to do. LMAO. Get real folks. I respect people's opinions and preferences, but just because someone decides to make a fan translation doesn't give them supreme universal jurisdiction over what is "real".

But at the end of the day, it's just for fun so no one should get too worked up over fan translations.

BTW, as far as whether the chicken or the egg came first, or the Japanese or English text, those who say it doesn't matter which was written first, are talking sense imo. The answer to Woolsey's comment in that interview I would guess is "because the people creating the game didn't speak English, and they wanted to be in charge of the content directly as opposed to drudging along with a translator by their side, which would have slowed down the production. Time is money." Doesn't this idea make sense to anyone?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:18:08 am by CANS »

Daniel

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2007, 10:26:21 pm »
I may even pick up Seiken Densetsu II one day, just to see the dialogue that got cut out and the changes were made; being a big fan of the series makes me interested in those sorts of things, and I'm sure there are others interested in it as well. Plus, in that case, I'm pretty sure Woosley said something about Secret of Mana being hard because he had to cut out a LARGE portion of the dialogue for space reasons. ^_~

Even then, unfortunately, we'll never see what Seiken Densetsu II was originally designed to be. I could JUST imagine being a translator/localization guy on a project like that.

Square Japan: "Hey, buddy, we've got a new project for you."
Translator: "All right, what is it?"
Square Japan: "Well, uhm... it's a SNES game. An RPG we originally wanted on that SNESCD thing... But we had to cut out 30 percent of it's content to make it fit on a cartridge instead of a CD. And the dialogue code isn't in any coherent order. Oh yes, and by the way, you'll need to cut MORE out of it when you're done. But make sure that it's epic or you're fired. Oh, and you've got three weeks to do it in. Have fun!"
Translator: "Fuddlesnaps!"

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:10 am »
Quote from: Player One Podcast interview
Ted: Yeah, they were almost always kind of rush jobs. On Secret of Mana they were writing the screen text as I was translating in Tokyo. I was flown over for a month or so with my family and we hung out at a cool little condo just outside of Shinjuku. I'd go into work every day. It was frustrating because stuff I'd translated the day before would be changed. I'd have to go in and find it and tweak it and then there were edits made by people who were also on the remake staff, some of which weren't up to my standards at the time. That particular project ended up being much more of a mish mash than I had hoped, Secret of Mana.
Even more of a nightmare than you may have thought.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2007, 11:03:37 pm »
Well I came across this rather late, but I for one look forward to playing your retranslated version of the Japanese mystic quest, mystic quest is the only final fantasy game that I like, and is the only rpg of it's type, and I think there should have been more of them, keep up the good work, later.
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.