News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!  (Read 28804 times)

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Re: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 06:33:41 pm »
I edited it out of my post, I had considered not using it but I thought it helped get my point across. It seems to me people automatically assume you hate Woolsey's work when you so much as mention that something may have been changed between the Japanese and US release, I've dealt with it before, it gets on my nerves as much as the people that bash him for no good reason do. I thought he was a great translator back in the day and did good work given the limitations he had to work in.

egg

• The incredible edible translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 06:38:55 pm »
As the translator on this project, what drew me in was the amount of personality, wit, and most of all generally clearer dialogue the Japanese version had over the English one. It knows that its storyline isn't any Chrono Trigger, and never takes itself too seriously. I have very fond memories of playing the American version back in the days of yore (it was one of my first RPGs, right after FF2US I believe), so it's pretty cool that I get to assist in getting a new and improved version of it out for those who feel like playing it.

How much of the English script is the fault of the translators, I have no idea. It seems to me after giving the English version a spin again that either the translators were taking the dialogue as SERIOUS BUSINESS (probably not likely, we're talking about Woolsey here), were working off an earlier draft of the script (could be), or that it had to be cut down due to space constraints (most likely).

...And to continue to beat a very-long-dead horse, I agree with DS and NC that Woolsey did a great service to the English-speaking gaming community while he was localizing, working so hard to not give us a piece of Engrish like so many other companies at the time... except for FF5. FF5 was a travesty. I'm glad the SNES never got to see that script.

"Yarrr, X-Death! Shiver me timbers!"
I'm right all the time except for when I'm not. :3

Near

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 06:50:53 pm »
I think I'm going to take away that smiley. It's been abused around here lately.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
     ::)                               ::)
 ::)         ::)             ::)          ::)
 ::)                                       ::)
 ::)             ::) ::) ::)             ::)
 ::)         ::)             ::)         ::)

FF5 was a travesty. I'm glad the SNES never got to see that script.

While I haven't played the PSX one, but I have played the GBA one ... not sure if they are the same, but if so, I completely agree with you. The US GBA port gave the characters absolutely no personality whatsoever. They all sounded like Daria ... only with cheesy, retro jokes that weren't at all funny.

"Oh, that old man died. Well that sucks. What, you want to join us now? Sure, whatever."
"Oh, no. Father's gone missing. We should go get something to eat."

That was perhaps the driest script I've ever read.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:02:06 pm by byuu »

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:10 pm »
I think I'm going to take away that smiley. It's been abused around here lately.

::)         ::)             ::)          ::)
 ::)             ::) ::) ::)             ::)
 ::)         ::)             ::)         ::)

:laugh:

As for the GBA port of FF5, I'm pretty sure it was a brand new translation.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

egg

• The incredible edible translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 07:53:03 pm »
FF5 was a travesty. I'm glad the SNES never got to see that script.

While I haven't played the PSX one, but I have played the GBA one ... not sure if they are the same, but if so, I completely agree with you. The US GBA port gave the characters absolutely no personality whatsoever. They all sounded like Daria ... only with cheesy, retro jokes that weren't at all funny.

"Oh, that old man died. Well that sucks. What, you want to join us now? Sure, whatever."
"Oh, no. Father's gone missing. We should go get something to eat."

That was perhaps the driest script I've ever read.

The PSX version suffers from the opposite problem. Faris was given the worst pirate speech pattern ever and there were mistranslations too numerous to count, not to mention the abysmal port...

As for the GBA version, I completely agree, byuu. While RPGe's script maybe wasn't the most "exciting" script ever, I still think it to be superior to the GBA release's one, but at least FF5 is commercially available in a form that's playable.
I'm right all the time except for when I'm not. :3

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 08:25:32 pm »
I found the GBA version's script highly entertaining, it was far better than the SNES or PSX version's translation.

generalleoff

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 08:54:03 pm »
Either way, the Japanese SCRIPT was done first. Which is what matters. I (as I'm sure many others do) would like to see just what Woosley was handed, and what it says. =D

I doubt you'll be able to, since it would be a big surprise if the script in the Japanese version was the same as the draft script that Woolsey was working off of.  Why would it have taken a year longer to publish otherwise?

I never could get what all the Woolsey-bashing was about.  He was probably the best translator working for any video-game company at that time.  Most of the things that people jeer about in his work were (a) trivial, (b) necessitated to make the text flow properly and make sense in English, or (c) mandated by Nintendo's asinine censorship policies.  Or a combination of the three.

Rob

Don't forget (d) deadlines. Woolsey didn't have infinite time to work on the translation whenever he felt like it like the fan translators do. He had a product to ship and a release date to make.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Supporter
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 08:57:48 pm »
eggy and byuu, I have just one thing to say:

"Hey you! Log off of my e-lawn!"

generalleoff

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:44 pm »
As for the FFV script. That games script is limp regardless of the translation played. PSX is definitly the worst though. It's not a plot heavy game and focuses on character building over plot and it's the most fun game in the whole series as a result. Just skip the damn text and level up.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 08:50:23 am »
Oh, eek. Proven wrong again. ;_;

Either way, the Japanese SCRIPT was done first. Which is what matters. I (as I'm sure many others do) would like to see just what Woosley was handed, and what it says. =D

What is this based on? Source?

I'm quoting myself since I was ignored. :P
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:34 pm »

It's based on the fact that Woolsey is listed as the translator in the credits. At least according to Gamefaqs, anyway. :-\

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
Yeah, RC got it right, and I wasn't ignoring anyone, I just wasn't there. If the Japanese script wasn't finished first, there'd be no reason to have a translator, they'd have just had an English script handed to them.

And I want to re-state that I think Woosley did a GREAT job on some of my favorite games; Secret of Mana probably being my favorite script, alongside CT. But, me picking up projects like MQ and CT doesn't mean that I think that what he did was wrong, or done badly; it just means that I want to see what we never GOT to see because of the limitations of the time. I may even pick up Seiken Densetsu II one day, just to see the dialogue that got cut out and the changes were made; being a big fan of the series makes me interested in those sorts of things, and I'm sure there are others interested in it as well. Plus, in that case, I'm pretty sure Woosley said something about Secret of Mana being hard because he had to cut out a LARGE portion of the dialogue for space reasons. ^_~

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 02:12:20 pm »

It's based on the fact that Woolsey is listed as the translator in the credits. At least according to Gamefaqs, anyway. :-\

Oh. Well then. Now we know it MUST be true if it's on Gamefaqs. I feel much better now. How about a real source?
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 02:16:16 pm »
I would imagine it's in the final credits roll, but I couldn't find a screenshot of anything besides the Director. I'll leave that up to someone else who has a savestate near the end of the game.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Supporter
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 02:36:28 pm »
I don't consider IMDB authoritative [since it's not generally a gaming website], but they list Woolsey as being involved with the storyline and not a translator at all.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 02:56:30 pm »
I happen to have a savestate just like that at home. So I'll post a screenshot of it on Monday (since I can't get ZSNES running here, *shakes fist* stupid 24-bit color not being supported by ZSNES), then we'll be able to put this argument to a close.

~DS

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 03:03:10 pm »
Quote from: Bob Rork Woolsey Interview
BR: Since FF: Mystic Quest was originally made with the purpose of being released in the U.S. to promote RPGs, why didn't SQUARE work with you initially on the game text instead of writing it all in Japanese for you to then translate?

TW: I'm not certain! That just wasn't the way things were done.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 03:09:28 pm »
I knew I'd seen that somewhere, thank you Vehek!

~DS

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 03:10:42 pm »
Quote from: Bob Rork Woolsey Interview
BR: Since FF: Mystic Quest was originally made with the purpose of being released in the U.S. to promote RPGs, why didn't SQUARE work with you initially on the game text instead of writing it all in Japanese for you to then translate?

TW: I'm not certain! That just wasn't the way things were done.

Link?

Kinch

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 03:14:03 pm »
Good ol' youtube. Ending and Credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09P0k1cEH-Y

Translation and Storyline by Yoshi Maekawa and Ted Woolsey.
Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read, seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot. Snotgreen, bluesilver, rust: colored signs. Limits of the diaphane. But he adds: in bodies. Then he was aware.