News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star IV Reborn!  (Read 15140 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star IV Reborn!
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:49:40 am »

Update By: The Komrade

This is a comprehensive hack of Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium for the Sega Genesis.  The general idea behind this mod is to have every battle be a fight for your life!  Every monster has been edited to greatly raise the game’s difficulty, making each battle much longer, especially late-game.  And yes, despite the difficulty increase, all monsters give the same amount of experience, so, welcome to hell.

Features:

• All characters have an average of 3 new Techniques and 3 new Skills.
  • The four “NOTHING” items have been added and can be bought at various shops across Algo.
  • Many new combination attack possibilities.
  • Items with a special battle effect have had their power greatly increased.
  • Easter Eggs in regard to two of the characters unavailable at the end of the game.
  • New descriptions for equipment that did not have them.

RHDN project page

Another version of the patch:

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium is back again in this second hack, built off the Hell Mode Mod patch. This hack includes all the changes of Hell Mode, plus all the monsters are now invulnerable to instant death and status effect attacks, and all the player characters have an average of 3 new Techniques and 3 new Skills. Go save Algo again!

RHDN project page

Relevant Link: (mailto:komradevladmir@yahoo.com)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:00:26 pm by Nightcrawler »

Special T

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star IV Reborn!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:11:25 am »
Well I'm going to give this hack a try, I have really been hoping for a full overhaul of the game (kinda like what the Final Fantasy VI hack is doing) but at least this is a step in the right direction. I hope to see a lot more genesis hacks/translations in the future. Thanks for your efforts!

*Edit

Wow this really is hard, I died in the first battle, I fought two of those creatures with 2 heads... and lost.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:59:26 am by Nightcrawler »

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:35:47 am »
Hello there, and thanks for attempting the hack!  It certainly is more difficult in the basement now.  You should be able to get through on level 3 or so though.  Which version of the patch are you using; Hell or Purgatory?  Purgatory has an experience booster on those enemies so you level up faster.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:54:41 am »
I downloaded the patch from this site it only came with one version of the patch I think it was 2.6

Should your patch contain 2 versions? if so you may want to include it in the zip file.

Any idea which of the 2 versions this is?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:55:38 am »
I downloaded the patch from this site it only came with one version of the patch I think it was 2.6

Should your patch contain 2 versions? if so you may want to include it in the zip file.

Read the news post - again. Slowly.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:17:38 am »

Read the news post - again. Slowly.

:banghead:  I guess I completely skipped over that part  ::)

Hello there, and thanks for attempting the hack!  It certainly is more difficult in the basement now.  You should be able to get through on level 3 or so though.  Which version of the patch are you using; Hell or Purgatory?  Purgatory has an experience booster on those enemies so you level up faster.

I downloaded the Hell version.

So if I understand correctly the Purgatory version has more stuff and it's easier (I'm trying to figure out which one I should play)?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:01:47 pm »
Actually it reads as if the Purgatory Patch is even harder, as death spells and status spells seem to be an exploitable weekness of enemies in Hell Mode. (exploitable as in you can actually beat them without cheating ;) )
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:57 pm »
Yes, Purgatory is overall supposed to be the more difficult of the two patches.  The random encounters in Purgatory Mode are definitely more difficult than Hell Mode, but the reports I'm getting back on both versions sound like the extra Skills and Techniques in Purgatory might actually make a couple of the bosses a bit easier; an inevitable side-effect of the new abilities since Wren has Medic Power, and other characters can use Recover.  Regardless, both of the patches have epic boss battles >:D.  You'll just finish the game about three to five levels lower on Purgatory due to all your Tech and Skill options against the last boss.

If you want a bigger arsenal at your disposal and nastier random encounters, choose Purgatory.  If you want a game that's less of a departure from the original PSIV, with dramatically easier random encounters, but a more difficult final boss, choose Hell.  They're two different experiences, and I love them both!  I recommend Hell to players that love level-grinding, and Purgatory to players that don't like grinding as much.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 02:24:39 am »
I guess I'll try Purgatory.

Another question for you Komrade, in the future do you plan on doing any type of full overhaul on this game by adding things like additional side quests, new/altered story line, new/different characters, etc?

Also do you plan on hacking any other genesis games? Genesis = my hero!

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:22:09 am »
I guess I'll try Purgatory.

Another question for you Komrade, in the future do you plan on doing any type of full overhaul on this game by adding things like additional side quests, new/altered story line, new/different characters, etc?

Also do you plan on hacking any other genesis games? Genesis = my hero!
I would absolutely love to do some more hacking on this game, but that's on hold for the moment, because I've maxed my knowledge out right now, and I'm attempting to find all the game's text to try and help a guy out that's interested in a possible editor for PSIV.  If that comes to pass, I'll be able to edit everything I ever wanted to, and much more!  Also, keep your eyes open as to new hacks, because I've also created another hack that should be showing up on this site very shortly for the first Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:21:19 am »
Well best of luck, and hopefully the editor comes out that way we can see more hacks of this game. Thanks!

Ahndou

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:02:44 pm »
This is awesome. PSIV is definitely one of my favorite games and it's great that I'm seeing it being tinkered with properly. I too would love to see an editor; good luck with that.

Sonson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:03:17 pm »
Phantasy Star IV has long been one of my favorite games of all time, so it's definately good to see people still care enough about it to add more to the gameplay or to improve upon it.

I am, however, having a little problem. For some reason, I'm unable to patch the file. I have the rom; that's not a problem. However, when I attempt to apply the patch, I get an error message that says something about the file size being to large. I use znestl12 to patch my files. Is there some other program I should specifically be using in order to patch the file?

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 06:29:33 pm »
Phantasy Star IV has long been one of my favorite games of all time, so it's definately good to see people still care enough about it to add more to the gameplay or to improve upon it.

I am, however, having a little problem. For some reason, I'm unable to patch the file. I have the rom; that's not a problem. However, when I attempt to apply the patch, I get an error message that says something about the file size being to large. I use znestl12 to patch my files. Is there some other program I should specifically be using in order to patch the file?
The patch program I use is LunarIPS.  That's an interesting problem; I haven't heard of it from the play-testing phase.  You can get LunarIPS here: http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/lips100.zip.  Let me know if you have any other problems!

Ahndou: Glad you like it!  If the PSIV editor becomes a reality, I guarantee more PS series hacks!

Sonson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:23:23 pm »

The patch program I use is LunarIPS.  That's an interesting problem; I haven't heard of it from the play-testing phase.  You can get LunarIPS here: http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/lips100.zip.  Let me know if you have any other problems!

Ahndou: Glad you like it!  If the PSIV editor becomes a reality, I guarantee more PS series hacks!

Thank you very much. That program worked flawlessly, and I've been playing the newly patched game for hours since. The challenge is very refreshing, as a lot of games have a tendency to be too easy due to the ability to adjust your level to your enemy's strength, or to just power-level. With this, trying to power-level is a life-or-death gamble.

While I personally don't power-level, the challenge certain got my competitive spirit up. I actually had a character die on the very first battle. It was a pleasant, bitter-sweet moment that only made me want to tackle the dungeon all the more. I can't wait to see what the bosses are like.

Thank you again, both for the program, and for this patch. I appriciate the long, hard work you must have put into it, and am greatful you've decided to share this with everyone.

The $ Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 02:11:50 am »
Thank you very much. That program worked flawlessly, and I've been playing the newly patched game for hours since. The challenge is very refreshing, as a lot of games have a tendency to be too easy due to the ability to adjust your level to your enemy's strength, or to just power-level. With this, trying to power-level is a life-or-death gamble.

While I personally don't power-level, the challenge certain got my competitive spirit up. I actually had a character die on the very first battle. It was a pleasant, bitter-sweet moment that only made me want to tackle the dungeon all the more. I can't wait to see what the bosses are like.

Thank you again, both for the program, and for this patch. I appriciate the long, hard work you must have put into it, and am greatful you've decided to share this with everyone.
I'm glad to hear that there are players that still want a challenge!  It's wonderful to know that there are people out there capable of crafting such appreciative comments!  Anyone that can appreciate this patch as much as you do, deserves it!