News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Der Langrisser Translation Released!  (Read 28169 times)

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
Re: Translations: Der Langrisser Translation Released!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 11:57:16 am »
If I save on every single write you'll end up getting ~8,000 file writes a second, infinitely more in games that use SRAM as added scratch RAM.

Isn't that covered by the drive cache? My guess is that it'd update in intervals of 1..3 seconds.

Lazy Bastard

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 09:32:38 am »
Awesome; I've been waiting for some time for this to happen :)

Der Langrisser is a great game.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 05:04:22 pm »
Slight nitpick.  When you go to buy stuff for your commanders, the window covers most of them up so it's hard to see who you're buying for.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 01:22:40 pm »
Der Langrisser has been a bandwidth hog. 6% of the site's bandwidth usage for June so far. ;)

2229 downloads totaling 2.3Gigs of bandwidth. Highest drawing single file on the site for bandwidth following the Der Langrisser news images on the main page for June.

I must say I'm surprised so many people have been into Der Langrisser. Maybe I'll rethink doing game nobody cares about so I can get more than a few dozen people to come in for my translations.  :laugh:

And they said all the big name games were done already. ;)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DingDong

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 01:43:50 pm »
bah i am cursed with the luck of the devil i found out yesterday that this was finally out and i near crapped myself.So i went and got all the proper files and whatnot yet i follow the readme file included with the patch and it wont patch for me.To be more precise its the part where i rename the file to dl_j.smc and then double click the patch but when i do that it keeps given me errors like dl_j.smc cant be found.Now im not sure if this is where im supposed to post this and if it isn't im sorry but if anyone could help me with this problem it would be forever grateful to them.

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 02:39:45 pm »
Did you put the rom that you renamed into the same directory as the patcher?

DingDong

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 02:42:17 pm »
indeed i did

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 04:11:56 pm »
Did you make sure that you didn't use the V1.0 (J) ROM like the read me specified?
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

DingDong

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 05:20:09 pm »
im using V1.1

mwuahha i got it i was just checking around the message boards at gamefaqs and someone said to try to name it just DL_J
and try it and it seems to have worked.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:43:59 pm by DingDong »

z01

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 01:55:10 pm »
Heeeey~~~
The 1.01 manual is (whole 24kb!) bigger than the 1.0 version?!

Confess! What hath thou done with the manual?!

Oh wait, I think it's "bookmarks"  :P

Near

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 02:40:04 am »
2229 downloads totaling 2.3Gigs of bandwidth. Highest drawing single file on the site for bandwidth following the Der Langrisser news images on the main page for June.

Hah, fun. We pulled a few thousand downloads on both cinnamonpirate and CoES, ourselves. Thanks for posting the stats, an interesting read.

I must say I'm surprised so many people have been into Der Langrisser. Maybe I'll rethink doing game nobody cares about so I can get more than a few dozen people to come in for my translations.  laugh

And they said all the big name games were done already.

Warsong was a major cult classic on the Genesis, so it isn't too surprising how popular its' sequel is. And really, how many SNES games can you name where you can choose to fight for light, imperial, chaos, or just say fuck everyone and be your own master, betraying everyone in the entire game all at once?

As far as big name games, I don't think they are all done, but they're really getting close. I think the only big name game remaining is Far East of Eden Zero, which is about as popular as Star Ocean.

Of course, there are a lot of gems that people don't know about, like Chaos Seed and the Dai Kaijuu games. And then there are the really, really awful games that people will do just because there's nothing left, like Starlight: Traverse and Prarie, BAZOO, Granhistoria, etc.

We may disagree on exactly how many good games are left, but I think we can both agree that all of the really major games that would attract people outside our own community are quickly dwindling. The absolutely massive games the translation scene brought in, were names like:
- Final Fantasy V
- Secret of Mana 2
- Tales of Phantasia
- Star Ocean
- Dragon Quest V
- Dragon Quest VI

And now, we are working on games like:
- Dual Orb I
- Bakumatsu Kourinden Oni II
- Silva Saga II

If you ask RPG fans who were around in the mid 1990s in the English-speaking areas of the world, nearly all can tell you about the former, but I bet you virtually none are familiar with the latter. It doesn't necessarily make them worse games, but they're usually of a lower quality level than the big name ones. The games being worked on are just going to continue to get worse, as we continue to cherry pick the best ones remaining to work on.

mwuahha i got it i was just checking around the message boards at gamefaqs and someone said to try to name it just DL_J
and try it and it seems to have worked.

It's because you have file extensions turned off. You were naming it dl_j.smc, but the filename already ended in .smc, so Windows was actually naming it dl_j.smc.smc. You should probably ask Windows not to hide file extensions from you.