News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: Tales of PSX Hacking  (Read 6134 times)

RHDNBot

Site: Tales of PSX Hacking
« on: February 01, 2006, 07:19:37 pm »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: DaMarsMan

Cless has updated his site with information regarding his Tales of Phantasia translation project. Looks like 8x8 VWF is working correctly as well as a new dialogue font and larger numbers again. Everything seems to be coming along nicely and looking great.

Relevant Link: (http://www.tales-cless.org/)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Site: Tales of PSX Hacking
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:37:38 am »
Wow.. we might actually get this one done this decade! Cless has been truckin' away at this one for a good number of years now. It's really starting to pull together a bit now.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:25:38 pm »
Yeah, I've had a goal of finally putting out some kind of release this year. It didn't seem impossible a few months back.

I tried getting in contact with our script translator a month ago and I've not heard anything yet and I'm starting to worry that maybe he bailed on us. I sent him the script back in early July.

Well, if translation isn't possible by the end of the year maybe the hacking will at least be to the point where all we need to do is drop the script in whenever it gets done...

GUTS

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:45:15 pm »
I've been following the progress on this for a couple years now and the prospect of finally playing it this year sounds awesome.  I'm gonna buy the GBA version just for my collection, but I'm thinking I'll wait to actually play through it until this one is done.  Kickass work man!

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:48:47 am »
Looks great, I love the VWF (What? I've got a thing for fonts). Sadly, I don't really like the SNES version (Heresy?) so I don't know if I'll actually play this when it's released.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 07:03:43 am »
This version is loads better than the original in virtually every way (which is why I bothered starting a project on it). Though some complain about the music and the character's battle sprites...

A small handful still prefer the original version but why in god's name I'll never understand. This game is everything the original was and much, much more.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 01:48:38 pm »
That's cool, I'll be sure to try it then. Speaking of that, how's the GBA version? A direct port of the SNES version or something better?

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 06:08:22 pm »
From what I can tell the GBA version isn't as smooth or as nice as the snes version. The colors aren't as good in my opinion.

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 07:25:38 pm »
The GBA version is a really crappy port. There's a lot of slowdown and a bad framerate during battle and the music sounds really, really awful (The GBC spinoff recycles like 90% of the soundtrack and manages to sound far better. Sad).

Many complain about the oversaturated colors but the game wasn't intended to be played in emulators and was made long before bright backlit GBAs came out. The "problem" isn't very apparent on the less vibrant frontlit GBA and DS screens.

The gameplay of the GBA version though is largely based on the PSX version, but the sloppiness of the port doesn't make it much fun. The lack of buttons compared to the PSX controller make for wacky button combos to be able to do important things like defend and skill shortcuts when needed. Although it has a few exclusives, it's missing most if not all of the new sidequests, dungeons, and optional battles from the PSX version.

Anyway, it's hard for me to pick between the SNES and GBA versions. I don't really like either of them that much. The gameplay is better and more refined in the GBA version but the slowdown hurts it pretty bad. The SNES version feels way too obsolete compared to the PSX version and later installments in the series to be any fun.

In relative terms of port quality (of ToP PSX to GBA), it makes FF4 GBA look like god.

GUTS

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 03:52:47 am »
^^ I was really disappointed with FF4 Advance, hell even the mode 7 was choppy.  I'll definitely be putting the GBA version of Tales on the shelf and just waiting for your psx version to be done since I can't handle sloppy ports (unless there's no other alternative).  I've been waiting years to play it so some more waiting won't be bad.

On a related note, is anybody buying a copy of Phantasia for PSX before the patch is done?  I'm gonna snag one on ebay pretty soon, I remember the last PSX game that got an english patch (Bloody Bride I think?) went from worthless $3 game to suddenly $30 or more once the patch came out.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:57:55 pm »
Oh, Cless, you reminded me, I don't know if you've seen this yet or not:

Text spillovers are being fixed, you can get the first release here.
I know a couple characters are wrong, I want to fix all the spillovers before I release a new version publicly.