Translations: The Definitive (Classic) Version of Tactics Ogre for the Saturn Translated

Started by RHDNBot, February 28, 2023, 03:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

After many hours of hard work, paul_met, aishsha and Pennywise present a completed translation of Tactics Ogre for the Sega Saturn. One might consider it the definitive version of the original game especially when the fantastic PSP translation script was ported to this project.

Please note that only the chaos route was seriously tested and there's a good chance of copy/paste and/or formatting errors present in the script. The team would appreciate that they be reported if any are found.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

khalismur

The Saturn port finally got translated. This is the best version of Tactics Ogre.

Felipefpl

It's great to see translations for other systems than NES/SNES, my only complaint is that the pictures in the project's page are too small.
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Dr. Dreadhawk

That's the native resolution of the game. Please do not start a trend of submitting upscaled images --god forbid with filters or shaders. Please, download the pictures and filter them yourselves.

khalismur

Quote from: Dr. Dreadhawk on February 28, 2023, 10:11:04 AMThat's the native resolution of the game. Please do not start a trend of submitting upscaled images --god forbid with filters or shaders. Please, download the pictures and filter them yourselves.
No filters or shaders doesn't mean you can't have an image with integer scaling from the original potato 320×224 resolution.

https://imgur.com/EJ2YEbO

Felipefpl

QuoteThat's the native resolution of the game. Please do not start a trend of submitting upscaled images --god forbid with filters or shaders. Please, download the pictures and filter them yourselves.

So it's better to submit small images that will force us to force our eyes to see what's written aside the jagged borders in the graphics/letters that may show up that dont even exist in the real game?
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Dr. Dreadhawk

Well, the solution would be to fix the upscaler in the website's image preview, but I've seen people submitting XBR and worse stuff in the past, thankfully in the minority.

paul_met

Quote from: khalismur on February 28, 2023, 11:33:27 AMNo filters or shaders doesn't mean you can't have an image with integer scaling from the original potato 320×224 resolution.
Saturn supports two types of horizontal screen resolution 320 and 352 pixels (as well as x2 the horizontal resolution in double interlacing mode). This game works in 352x224 mode. So, your screenshot distorts the proportions.
Meduza Team

khalismur

Quote from: paul_met on February 28, 2023, 12:16:48 PMSaturn supports two types of horizontal screen resolution 320 and 352 pixels (as well as x2 the horizontal resolution in double interlacing mode). This game works in 352x224 mode. So, your screenshot distorts the proportions.

And I ignorantly thought the emulator would figure that out, as you mentioned this resolution in the release notes of your patch. Thank you for pointing it out, I corrected the aspect ratio. Gonna try this on actual hardware on the weekend.

https://imgur.com/CGPne7F

saito

Good job. Can anyone point the differences between the snes version and this one?

Thanks!
.: TransGen :.

Bonesy

Quote from: saito on February 28, 2023, 01:42:32 PMGood job. Can anyone point the differences between the snes version and this one?

Thanks!
please read the translation's info page on here

Grillkick

Flat-out amazing work! On top of everything, the team increased the resolution AND it takes advantage of the 4 meg cart? Badass. I'm playing this on my real Saturn with Pseudo Saturn Kai and I'm in heaven here. Thanks to everyone who worked on this  :beer:

Aganar

Nice to see the best non-remake version get a new translation! Pity that I'm mid-way through the Switch remake at the moment...

knight0fdragon

Quote from: khalismur on February 28, 2023, 12:44:59 PMAnd I ignorantly thought the emulator would figure that out, as you mentioned this resolution in the release notes of your patch. Thank you for pointing it out, I corrected the aspect ratio. Gonna try this on actual hardware on the weekend.

https://imgur.com/CGPne7F

The funny part is, the aspect ratio should be 4:3 unless a game explicitly states otherwise.  Variable pixel density is of the unfortunate losses with using fixed size panels