News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Front Mission (SNES) Addendum v1.01

Started by mziab, January 20, 2023, 04:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mziab

Quote from: Cavery210 on January 20, 2023, 07:21:34 PMThere's plenty of SNES translations that could be improved like you have with this and other projects by you:

* Many of Dynamic Designs' recent releases (Aretha II, Super Shell Monsters Story II, Shiji Hero Legend and Power of the Hired) have bugs stemming from the team downsizing and no one on the active team currently possesses the assembly and coding skills needed to fix them.
* Assault Suits Valken (the Japanese release of Cybernator) has some text display issues and the name entry screen is unusable.
* Chou Genjin 2 (Super Bonk 2) has some compressed text that could be translated.
* The options screen in Dossun Stone Battle by Aeon Genesis is untranslated.
* NoPrgress's Dragon Quest VI patch is notoriously buggy and 10% of the text is untranslated.
* Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren has some untranslated text.
* Go Go Ackman could use a variable width font.
* Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun has untranslated opening text and graphics.
* Romancing SaGa 3 has some untranslated text. (I'd like to see someone do a script port of the remakes of Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 to the SNES versions)
* Super Bomberman 5's stage select, the stage names and the certificate where the percentage appears are untranslated.
* Super Puyo Puyo 2 has some untranslated graphics.
* As mentioned before, Treasure Hunter G needs a few fixes.

I don't really have the same kind of connection with any of these games as I do with my past projects, but I might look into something from this list if I'm bored. No promises for now.

Quote from: kindlekat on January 20, 2023, 02:15:51 PMI'd suggest Front Mission: Gun Hazard as it's buggy (failing missions has glitched text), many shortened names and a *lot* of story text was cut out (forgot what though).

I haven't actually gotten around to playing that. That's the first I've heard of it being buggy, though. I was under the impression that the translation for Gun Hazard was very well done.

Felipefpl

Quotebut I might look into something from this list if I'm bored. No promises for now.

I'm happy with that.  :thumbsup:

Perhaps you might even find something you'd like such as learning something new from tinkering with those games. ;)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Oxinar

Alcahest is a game that would certainly benefit from your skills.
I think his beta translation is from the same person who translated Front Mission.

Red Soul

I had no idea the Front Mission patch such serious issues. Again, good work polishing (and this case, salvaging) a classic patch and making it infinitely better.

mziab

Quote from: Red Soul on January 23, 2023, 04:36:30 AMI had no idea the Front Mission patch such serious issues. Again, good work polishing (and this case, salvaging) a classic patch and making it infinitely better.

I don't know about "infinitely", but I do hope this makes the game a bit better :) The old translation wasn't all that bad, all things considered. Certainly better than some other early translations like Rayearth or Sailor Moon Another Story.

MD_Prometh

This is a very welcome patch. Always cool to see the kinks in old translations get ironed out.

Are there any plans to translate the PS1 version? It has a few neat features like an extra campaign. This version was the basis for the DS port, but that had some censorship.

mziab

Quote from: MD_Prometh on January 25, 2023, 07:15:58 PMAre there any plans to translate the PS1 version? It has a few neat features like an extra campaign. This version was the basis for the DS port, but that had some censorship.

I have no such plans. This would be a much larger undertaking and it's not my romhacking platform of choice. You're better off asking someone who has more PS1 hacking experience under their belt. I've dabbled in PS1 hacking, but I'm most at home on the SNES.

kindlekat

Quote from: mziabThat's the first I've heard of it being buggy, though. I was under the impression that the translation for Gun Hazard was very well done.

You can abort / fail some side-quest missions and it printed glitchy-speak, which was disappointing because the writing is strong. Had 2-3 on the desert map. Maybe elsewhere.

Letters can randomly disappear according to readme, which I can't remember; it was 10-15 years ago and I only have selective memory.

Someone else brought up that the script was cut down, which the author replied that the fat had to be removed to fit. I definitely remember one scene with a shopkeeper that acted oddly in English. Played the savefile in Japan and a long dialogue with a sad face came up that was missing. I was livid because it looked like exciting backstory but I couldn't translate it.

There's other games that I would complain about trimmed, changed or questionable but I'll boil with rage over bringing it up and derailing the thread.
KindleKat's library
-- Uncensored reviews and hacks
-- Last updated 2023-01-31

mziab

Since the feedback seems to have quieted down, I figured it didn't make sense to wait any longer, so I've updated the patch. It fixes the three issues reported above. Thanks again to Oxinar for bringing them to my attention!

You can download patch from here until my RHDN submission goes through. I took this chance to include a BPS patch this time as well.

Oxinar

I found another problem, after winning the battle, Lloyd says something, but the speech does not appear, the game is stuck in this scene.
I'm using IPS v1.01

https://imgur.com/R014ltU

https://imgur.com/FGCBW7U

savestate
https://www59.zippyshare.com/v/1iWAWfvX/file.html

mziab

Is this a regression from v1.00? Could you check? I haven't touched anything to related to that, but it's best to make sure. Also, why is the name empty in the Japanese screenshot? And why is your character name Loyddddd? ;) Did you do any savestate hacking?

EDIT: Your savestate gives me a freeze even on the original English version, so it's definitely not a regression in the addendum.

Oxinar

I renamed the character this when I started the game again  :laugh: .
I was also using cheats on Lloyd but I tried to pass this mission with and without cheats and the result was the same.
Maybe even with the codes disabled something must have been corrupted :( ?
I could be wrong, but years ago when I played the translation for the first time, I vaguely remember that this specific part had a problem.
Anyway, here are others savestates.

OCU Frontbase
https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/yIv3OVgo/file.html

last cannon
https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/i4shapNP/file.html

mziab

This does sound like memory corruption. However, I've played the game multiple times over the years and never ran into this issue. I believe I would have noticed not being able to progress ;) It's either from cheats or (a shot in the dark) maybe something related to the length of the name. The conditions for reproducing the bug have to be pretty obscure or else people would've been raging about not being able to complete the game for a long time now.

EDIT: This might be related to the fact you have just one Wanzer pilot alive by the end of the mission and the game might be trying to display the name of another character, and since that's no longer in VRAM, you get random junk.

Oxinar

This offset is a pointer 17E41? I ask because I switched the 2F4DF0 to 7075C1 and the speech appears, not the one that should appear, something else appeared, but the mission ended and I could continue, but the game stayed in Japanese :laugh: .

mziab

No, the pointer for said string is located at A9137. It's a generic "Fort Monus, at last..." message. Normally, a random character from the party says it. It's not hardcoded to Lloyd. So this might be related to the state of the party. A band-aid fix would be to hardcode it to Lloyd by changing one byte, but since I've yet to rule out some memory corruption on your end, so I'd rather not make any hasty changes. But if you want to try it out, go to 345af4 and change the 01 to 00.

By the way, for reference, what you changed was actually a jump to a subroutine.

Oxinar

I downloaded a zsnesw save from fantasyanime and I finished the mission without any problems.
I will continue playing the game with zsnes and without using cheats.

mziab

Last time I checked the saves from fantasyanime were SRMs, or battery saves. You can use those with any SNES emulator, not just ZSNES. In fact, they were invaluable when I needed to debug something quickly.

Oxinar

Today using fantasyanime save and without cheats I repeated what I had done in the battle leaving only Lloyd alive and the same thing happens, the textbox appears and it doesn't come out of it.
So surely this is a bug related to the original translation not the addendum...
I have to go to work now, but tomorrow when I arrive I'll try to leave two characters alive and see what happens.

mziab

Perhaps there is a specific string or weapon that triggers it. The dialogue string itself hadn't changed since the original translation and the pointer to it is valid, so that's not it. It might the a memory overflow or an untranslated string.

The only sensible way to catch this would be to play this mission with a debugger like bsnes-plus, with a write breakpoint set to the RAM location which contains the pointer to the name being displayed.

Like I said, changing that one byte from 01 to 00 to force the game to display Lloyd's name and not whatever is in the first name slot would work around the issue, but I'd rather not do that, since that's not what the original game did here.

Oxinar

At the offset A9137 change the F4 F1 5A to CD 3C AC seems to solve the problem but it will show the phrase in japanese.