News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

ROM Hacks: X means 10 in Roman Numerals

Started by RHDNBot, January 17, 2023, 05:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: insectduel

Do you ever think that Mega Man X on Super Nintendo is considered the tenth Mega Man game when the game is developed? If you live in the United States, Europe or other countries that uses the English language, then you are in for a treat. In the United States, Europe or other countries the classic Mega Man titles uses the Roman Numerals from II to VII.

Insectduel have worked on the MSU-1 project for his own purpose, porting the Mega Man 10 songs composed by YouTuber Mega SFC into Mega Man X but some of the Mega Man 10 songs were left in 8-Bit and the Stage Select Mega Man 10 music is entirely different composer. Starting in 2018, Insectduel ported random composed Mega Man 10, X1 style songs until December 2022 is when he decided to use all 21 of Mega SFC's Mega Man 10, X1 style songs.

However, the MSU-1 project requires the Mega Man X rom to be tweaked, such as adding more songs in the sound test as well as changing music pointers including adding the Abandoned Factory Mega Man 10 song at Sigma Stage 1 checkpoints.

You can download these patches with the included .PCM music here. Be sure you read the readme first as it tells you the ROM-Hasher requirements to patch with the specific Mega Man X rom. WARNING, playing this game on a standalone rom on a non-MSU-1 built emulator or console including not matching the ROM file as the .PCM or .MSU files results in Sigma Stage 3 to crash before the level loads.

Relevant Link

Spooniest

I have no earthly idea what this patch does. The post is confusing.

Is this a patch for Mega Man 10 or Mega Man X?
Yamero~~!

JKPhage

Best I can make out from the broken English is that it basically ports some 16-bit style covers of music from Mega Man 10 into Mega Man X1, but also some that are just straight 8-bit music ports. It's certainly a thing that exists.

The Beaky Buccaneer

Quote from: Spooniest on January 17, 2023, 10:23:51 PMI have no earthly idea what this patch does. The post is confusing.
As far as I can tell, it's ironically playing on an odd misconception where some argued that Mega Man X was Mega Man 10, even though Mega Man 6 preceded Mega Man X.

Following on from that idea, what I'd like to know is if a patch exists that changes the name of the character X to 10. :D

insectduel

Quote from: Spooniest on January 17, 2023, 10:23:51 PMI have no earthly idea what this patch does. The post is confusing.

Is this a patch for Mega Man 10 or Mega Man X?

Let me answer this for people for easier reading and also is for people that wanted to patch the rom and play or you don't have the ROM-Hasher software, the required ROM is Mega Man X (U) V1.1, no 512 byte header. Actually I have thoughts to do the European version of Mega Man X because of the in-game patched changes but never Rockman X.

There will be updates about monthly if possible to .PCM music files replacing the 8-Bit ones once Mega SFC (YT Handle:megasfc2850) composes more music and the Mega Man 10 boss theme is the only one missing and no one else composes it in 16-bit X1 style. There's the MIDI version of the Mega Man 10 boss theme in the Extra Tracks folder (Track 18) if you are interested.
Twitter, Facebook & E-mails only, DM's at RHDN won't be answered.

Sliver X

insectduel has been around since the old Acmlmboard days (Remember that place?), and he is notorious for taking other people's work and claiming it as his own, often with shoddy, broken "additions" akin to filing the serial numbers off of something and claiming it isn't a stolen object.

From what I can tell he took a bunch of remixed music tracks from actual musicians/people with talent and cobbled them together with an MSU hack for Mega Man X (I suspect this one: https://www.zeldix.net/t1438-mega-man-x, though it's uncredited, unsurprisingly).

For some reason I actually bothered to test this and there are zero graphical changes as shown in the description, just music tracks ripped from Youtube. I didn't go past the intro stage and it didn't completely crash or anything, but who knows how long that holds up as you go through the game.

PowerPanda

Quote from: insectduel on January 19, 2023, 01:25:03 PMLet me answer this for people for easier reading and also is for people that wanted to patch the rom and play or you don't have the ROM-Hasher software, the required ROM is Mega Man X (U) V1.1, no 512 byte header.

Yeah, that's a lot clearer. ::) Seriously, Google translate from Japanese to Swahili to English would be easier to read than that sentence.

Quote from: Sliver X on January 21, 2023, 11:23:24 PMFrom what I can tell he took a bunch of remixed music tracks from actual musicians/people with talent and cobbled them together with an MSU hack for Mega Man X (I suspect this one: https://www.zeldix.net/t1438-mega-man-x, though it's uncredited, unsurprisingly).

Not cool if this is true, insectduel. Some of the best hacks on this website are compilations of other people's work. There's no shame in doing the legwork to put other peoples' work out in an easy-to-use format. There is shame in not providing proper credits though.

Spooniest

Should this thread not be locked, if this person is a known plagiarist of other people's work?
Yamero~~!