News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

ROM Hacks: Clock Tower Deluxe V2.0 released!

Started by RHDNBot, January 09, 2023, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: BobSchneeder45

First released back in 2020, Clock Tower Deluxe is a patch for the Point 'n Click horror game Clock Tower on the Super Famicom that adds mouse support and content that was introduced in the game's PlayStation port along with various quality of life features and adjustments.

This new release's biggest improvement is the way Scissorman, the game's antagonist, will be chasing you. Inspiration has been taken from the game's sequel meaning Scissorman can now follow you from door to door instead of "teleporting" around. Chases will also trigger randomly while you're wandering around, making Scissorman more of a threat than in the original version.

Unused or cut assets have yet again been restored to give the player more hiding places and even a few single-use weapons to use for defense. Beware though, as Scissorman too has a few new hiding spots that will start a chase once reached!

The included spreadsheet lists all of these recent changes, but another one worth mentioning is a feature that preserves your save file if you happen to press QUICK START on the main menu, which would normally reset your saved progress. This also kicks in when you're locked onto a certain game over ("DEAD END") where you would normally die each time if you lacked a certain item.

There is still more that can be done but until then, enjoy this new breath of life into this classic title!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

julayla

Wow, nice work on the quality of life improvement. It makes me wanna retry the game more. Now if there were others that look like point and click games that had mouse support-like features reinstated too. Because I know a couple of games that need it, despite not originally supporting mouse features.

VicVergil

Quote from: RHDNBot on January 09, 2023, 07:54:46 AMThere is still more that can be done but until then, enjoy this new breath of life into this classic title!
The work done here is amazing. Is there even anything left to be ported from the PS1/WS/Windows versions?

BobSchneeder45

Mostly it's the new close-up images like that of the parrot, but those will require some extra work. Other than that the things I've planned are minor adjustments scattered across all the rooms. I think an ending unlocked screen would also be doable.

Gypsy-Danger

I cant seem to get it working guys, when I patch my working translation the resulting ROM is dead

Green Jerry

Quote from: Gypsy-Danger on January 10, 2023, 09:28:42 AMI cant seem to get it working guys, when I patch my working translation the resulting ROM is dead
This is what I did:
1. Took a fresh Japanese ROM.
2. Added a header to the ROM using NSRT.
3. Applied the English translation to the now-headered ROM.
4. Applied the Deluxe patch for the English translation on top of the English translated ROM.
5. Loaded the Deluxe patched ROM on the emulator.
The patch did work after doing these steps. Maybe your English ROM doesn't have a header.

And you've submitted a noncompliant request likely because of that, and the hack might be removed!
EDIT: The noncompliant got rejected.
My latest Portuguese translation: Titanic (NES)

Gypsy-Danger

Quote from: Green Jerry on January 10, 2023, 10:05:06 AMThis is what I did:
1. Took a fresh Japanese ROM.
2. Added a header to the ROM using NSRT.
3. Applied the English translation to the now-headered ROM.
4. Applied the Deluxe patch for the English translation on top of the English translated ROM.
5. Loaded the Deluxe patched ROM on the emulator.
The patch did work after doing these steps. Maybe your English ROM doesn't have a header.

And you've submitted a noncompliant request likely because of that, and the hack might be removed!
EDIT: The noncompliant got rejected.

Cheers! I haven't had to add a header file before (Removed plenty), is there anything specific that needs putting in for it? I run a Linux system so some of the assets on site do not work correctly for me

The Beaky Buccaneer

Quote from: Gypsy-Danger on January 10, 2023, 11:07:22 AMCheers! I haven't had to add a header file before (Removed plenty), is there anything specific that needs putting in for it? I run a Linux system so some of the assets on site do not work correctly for me
Linux user here, too! RHDN's own Online ROM Patcher will let you add a temporary header if/when you need one. :thumbsup:

mziab

Quote from: Gypsy-Danger on January 10, 2023, 11:07:22 AMCheers! I haven't had to add a header file before (Removed plenty), is there anything specific that needs putting in for it? I run a Linux system so some of the assets on site do not work correctly for me

Old SNES translation patches, like the original one for Clock Tower, require a header for historic reasons. Basically, headers were present in ROMs floating around back then, so everyone making patches assumed they would be present. The header is absolutely useless (the flashcarts of old used to store information about the ROM there, but nowadays it's just empty), but without it the patch ends up modifying the wrong parts of the ROM, since the data starts 512 bytes earlier in a headerless ROM. You can expect to run into this issue with most SNES translations released in the early to mid-2000's. Thankfully, almost no one uses SNES headers anymore, except for dealing with legacy stuff like this.

Grillkick

This is the update that I've been waiting for! Outstanding work, thank you. :)

FlamePurge

I've played through to the end on this a few times, now. It's the real deal, folks! You don't wanna pass it up. :D
Check out and discuss my projects

Adam Catalyst

Would you recommend Classic Chase, or new chase system for a first-timer playing on a gamepad?

BobSchneeder45

I'd say the new system. Classic chase is just there as an option if you want all the other benefits but feel that chases resuming etc are a bit too different from the original or get in the way.

Antonio Nero

As a horror games fan, I say thanks a lot for this hack, especially if we keep in account this game was representative of Italian style horror films.