Translations: Magic Knight Rayearth for Game Boy translated

Started by RHDNBot, January 07, 2023, 09:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

LIPEMCO! Translations has released an English translation of Magic Knight Rayearth for the Game Boy!

To quote this web site's description of the game: "This  game is the standard-issue Dragon Quest Clone with Magic Knight Rayearth wrapped around it. You may recognize MKR as an anime, an SNES game, and a Saturn game put out by Working Designs on the Eastern side of the Pacific. It's pretty standard, as far as Dragon Quest Clones go. You play one, you've played them all. Of course, this game adds some flavor to the mixture by using a very loose and humorous plot along with memorable characters. All in all, this is as decent a game as any."

To further elaborate:

One day, Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu – the three Magic Knights summoned from Tokyo to save the magical world of Cephiro – come across a mysterious painting during their travels. Startlingly, they find that none of them see the same image in it, but no sooner do they realize this than they are sucked inside, each landing in the scene they saw. Separated, the three must now search for a way to reunite. What is the secret of the strange painting and its inhabitants?

Magic Knight Rayearth for the Game Boy is a 1995 role-playing game based on CLAMP's hit media franchise of the same name, developed by Pandora Box and published by Tomy. Short and to the point (though with many hidden extras for the inquisitive player), its RPG elements are heavily simplified with an eye toward accessibility to the series' target audience, leaving most of the focus on the story. One of no less than seven Rayearth games released in a one-year span, its developer would go on to make both a sequel on the Game Boy and a more ambitious and well-known Rayearth adaptation for the Super Famicom.

This patch fully translates the game into English. It was the work of TheMajinZenki (translation), Supper (hacking), cccmar (editing and testing), and Xanathis (testing). The authors hope you'll enjoy this newly accessible entry in the popular series.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Pennywise

Great work as always. Now I had actually looked at this game or the sequel years back and never pursued the project because I remember scripting code being embedded with the text. Was that actually the case? Dealing with that isn't really much of an issue for me now, but I was curious.

Supper

Quote from: Pennywise on January 07, 2023, 03:06:15 PMGreat work as always. Now I had actually looked at this game or the sequel years back and never pursued the project because I remember scripting code being embedded with the text. Was that actually the case? Dealing with that isn't really much of an issue for me now, but I was curious.

Thanks! Yeah, for the main story text, there's a "print embedded string" command in the scripting system that's used to display messages. But it's easy enough to detect it by scanning through the script block for the trigger opcode, so I just did that to dump the text, then replaced the existing strings with redirects to the new text. The main difficulty was that the original game's script handler was designed only to print messages from the script block at 0x30000-0x3FFFF, so I also had to add some extra logic to allow it to target any bank. Got a bit tricky, but it's far from the worst thing I've had to deal with.

mikeprado30

Wow!  Pretty way to start the year, with a notable name as first top notch release.  Will be playing it tonight!

Thanks a lot, guys! :thumbsup:

ButThouMust

Funny, I had actually just imported and played an original cart of this game on my Super Game Boy (for those not aware, it has some neat SGB enhancements). I thought the gameplay was fairly simplistic, and I couldn't read all of the text, but I did enjoy the game overall. Looking forward to trying out the English patch!

z01

Neato!
I'd like to note here that both Magic Knight Rayearth GB games have exceptionally good soundtracks. If you like energetic chiptunes hearing them is a MUST.

akualung

Thanks a lot! Classic B&W Game Boy rpgs deserve some love from time to time  :happy:

edit: Aaaand it's over. I started this game yesterday, and today I've finished it. The game is only very few hours long, to the point it can be beat in just one sitting. I was playing every separate story for every one of the three main characters, thinking it was some kind of prologue and that they will join together and then the real game would start.... and suddenly the end credits roll. I just stood in front of the screen not believing what I've just seen. I know it's not a snes game and gb rpgs tend to be on the short side, but really, this is no doubt the shortest rpg I've played EVER. If I had bought this game on a store back in the day I swear I'd have felt scammed.

Please don't take this post as criticism to the translation project, which is top knotch, but rather to the game itself. No other gb game I've played has been this short (Link's Awakening, FF Legend I, II and III, ONI, God Medicine, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Heracles Gaiden, etc, every one of those have lasted a lot longer than this one by far). I'm still speechless as I'm editing this post, really.

Supper

Quote from: akualung on January 08, 2023, 12:55:36 PMThanks a lot! Classic B&W Game Boy rpgs deserve some love from time to time  :happy:

edit: Aaaand it's over. I started this game yesterday, and today I've finished it. The game is only very few hours long, to the point it can be beat in just one sitting. I was playing every separate story for every one of the three main characters, thinking it was some kind of prologue and that they will join and then the real game would start.... and suddenly the end credits roll. I just stood before the screen not believing what I've just seen. I know it's not a snes game and gb rpgs tend to be on the short side, but really, this is no doubt the shortest rpg I've played EVER. If I had bought this game on a store back in the day I swear I'd have felt scammed.

Please don't take this post as criticism to the translation project, which is top knotch, but rather to the game itself. No other gb game I've played has been this short (Link's Awakening, FF Legend I, II and III, ONI, God Medicine, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Heracles Gaiden, etc, every one of those have lasted a lot longer than this one by far). I'm still speechless as I'm editing this post, really.

Well, that's perfectly fair. I would note that the game (Hikaru and Umi's stories, anyway) has a lot of hidden events you can find by checking dead ends or unmarked pieces of background scenery, and that there's quite a bit more entertainment to be found if you go exploring -- though bumping into every tile on the map to see what happens might not be everyone's idea of fun. I would also note that this site's rambling description of the game, written 20 years ago by someone I'm quite certain didn't know Japanese and had barely played it, might give people the wrong idea by repeatedly calling it a "Dragon Quest Clone" and providing no other information. Good luck to anyone trying to change it, though!

And the game does have a somewhat-direct sequel that it's intended to be paired with (its internal name is actually "RAYEARTH1"), and playing them together might result in a slightly more satisfying experience. Unfortunately, the existing translation for the second game is badly hobbled by being unable to change the lengths of the original text strings, so I can't really recommend it. I'm not counting on our group retranslating it anytime soon, but we'll see what happens, I guess.

Quote from: z01 on January 08, 2023, 12:41:32 PMNeato!
I'd like to note here that both Magic Knight Rayearth GB games have exceptionally good soundtracks. If you like energetic chiptunes hearing them is a MUST.

100% agreed. Hit Select 32 times at the title screen for the sound test! It's even got titles for all the tracks! And helpful captions for the barely-intelligible speech samples.

rarenight

Very nice! Thank you for uncovering a really fun little hidden gem for the Game Boy! The console definitely needs some more love in the fan translation department and I'm grateful to see projects like this continue to release.

I hope you can do the sequel as well, given they're how they're meant to be played as a set, but that's getting ahead of myself! :laugh: