News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Driver 2 Advance Anniversary

Started by YukiNa, November 25, 2022, 01:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukiNa

QuoteDownload Driver 2 Advance Anniversary Early Access IPS Patch (December 2022)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WWQDqzLjpkfgPjnfflXg-66OABGvypEo/view?usp=share_link
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH A U.S.A. ROM - EUR ONLY ! (BÊTA / EURASIA FOR NOW - CRC32 : 3AA665E5)

QuoteHow To Install
• Download the IPS patch
• Get a Driver 2 Advance EUR ROM (Eurasia or your own dump)
• Set both IPS & ROM in a same folder
• Rename the ROM same as the IPS patch
• Open the ROM in emulator : The IPS patch should be applied automatically

In New Super Injector for 3DS :
• Select the "Apply an IPS patch before injecting" option on bottom-right and select the IPS patch

QuoteTo Do List :
• Complete Driving Games (Super Tanner Kart, Survival)
• Complete / Correct Chicago & Rio Map tiles (grounds)
• Correct Chicago cop siren (sound issue)
• Correct Mini-map (too small)
• Correct Mini-map indicators (objective dot, cops cones)
• Correct some secret areas arrays
• Improve 2D cities maps
• Change Tanner sprite & others

Driver 2 Advance Anniversary is a major graphical modification for the game Driver 2 Advance released 25th of September 2002 in the U.S. and 2nd of October of the same year in Europe.

The game featured « open-world » 3D cities using raycasting mixed with a pseudo-mode 7, exploiting very few textures from the original PSX game for the buildings and none for the floors, and using sprites of 32 angles for the vehicles imitating PSX models, all having a minimalistic graphic style with it's charm yet far away from Driver 2 for Playstation.

Driver 2 Advance Anniversary injects various data from the original Driver 2 PSX in order to simulate back the later within the limits of Driver 2 Advance's technique, altering buildings, floors, cars sprites, props, backgrounds, and various non-graphical details.

As it is meant to stay compatible with an unmodified version or original cartridge of Driver 2 Advance for the multiplayer, the « X-Town Race » mode being set in the full maps of the cities (with no props and trafic), these were left unmodified for the most part, and the gameplay in vechicles unchanged (the cars would have been made otherwise faster, which was causing delay in multiplayer).

In addition to the new graphical paintcoat, new SFX were added from the original game, image backgrounds were changed and minor tweaks performed here and there to make the game a bit more interesting to play.

A detailed list of the modifications :

GRAPHICS
• Raycaster and Map offsets centered in the middle of the screen, with black bars simulating a 16:9 aspect ratio.
• Immersive camera set closer to the character / vehicle.
• 8 Vehicles from the PSX game pre-rendered as 15 colors sprites.
• Buildings using some textures from the PSX game, with increased heights and a shadow / light gradient simulating some atmospheric effect.
• Floors using textures from the PSX game, mostly 24*24 and 32*32 in resolution, or 16*16 and 8*8 for smaller details.
• New HUD, with health and objective bars using icons instead of texts in different languages, a half-sized mini-map and a timer inspired by Duke Nukem Advance's 8*8 numbers tiles.
• Some props using textures or rendered models from the PSX game.
• Redrawn cities maps with added small streets / alleys, buildings, etc...

SFX
• Cop sirens use the same ones as the PSX game for Chicago and Rio.
• Added a new sound when entering cars with engine ignition like in the PSX game.
• Menus use the same sounds as the PSX game.
• Some other SFX added : engines, horns, props hiting, checkpoints...

CITIES
• Extra zones added : Parking lots and Chinatown garden in Chicago, Airport in Rio.

GAMEPLAY
• Tanner on foot is a bit faster.
• A camera delay was added for Tanner on foot.
• New spawn points for Take a Ride mode and some Undercover missions.
• Difficulty increased for some Undercover missions by lowering timers.
• Some missions targets modified.
• Spawn cars changed in some missions.
• Altered Driving games inspired by other videogames (Mario Kart, Doom).

MENUS / TEXTS
• New backgrounds and intro screens.
• New texts alignment in the main and pause menus.
• Cropped objective text in english for the first mission (explaining the buttons layout : removed).

EXTRAS
• Press Start screen : Removed
• Eurasia hackers intro screen : Removed.

Some things I would have liked to modify :
• The Soundtrack ; not only instruments but the tracks sequences.
• The cinematics screenshots ; I couldn't figure how to change 256 colors backgrounds.
• The Select button to change the camera, as it is difficult to drive the Van because of it's size blocking the view.
• A « Speed Limit » option to make the cars faster in solo modes when inactive, and at the original game's speed when active for multiplayer compatibility. (Instead of the « Cop AI » option which is useless.)
• Add a Day / Night time of day for Take a Ride and some missions, which would have changed the sky background gradient and maybe the background / sprites palettes.
• Add parallax backgrounds using sprites.
• Change the sprites scales individually.
• 2 different cop cars for each city.
• Adding back the « we lost him » cop SFX, which was present in the June prototype uploaded in January 2022.
• New « maps » for the Driving Games and the multiplayer.
• Change the spawn cars of the Driving Games and the multiplayer.

Original ROM issues :
• In Visual Boy Advance, the mission Car Bomb is partially broken as the cop car you spawn with has some uncapped speed issue, and Tanner's rotation on foot is also too high. You have to get out of the cop car and steal the target car on foot, which is fortunately easy.
• In MyBoy! emulator for Android, the game crashes in the mission Return To Sender when you reach Vasquez's hotel, making the Undercover mode impossible to complete.
• As a 3DS/2DS Virtual Console game, the second mission when triggered by choosing « Next Mission » skips directly to the last mission, and the High Scores are broken.
• The Trailblazer mode can become glitched if the timer goes beyond 2 minuts, and crash the game eventualy.

SCREENSHOTS

MAPS

BOX ART (Click to enlarge)

d0k3

This looks fantastic! I remember starting that game back in the GBA days, but not finishing it due to the sluggishnes and because I didn't like the graphic style. If it looked like that back in the days, I sure as hell wouldn't have put it down.

Tsukiyomaru0

I have several questions about this and I don't even know where to begin... Perhaps with the easiest and maybe more interesting question: why not have a 3-way comparison between Anniversary, Advance and PS1?

YukiNa

Quote from: Tsukiyomaru0 on November 26, 2022, 01:06:13 AMI have several questions about this and I don't even know where to begin... Perhaps with the easiest and maybe more interesting question: why not have a 3-way comparison between Anniversary, Advance and PS1?

It would have been relevant to compare the mod to the PSX version if the cities would have been redone like the PSX version - which is possible (but very long) and was in fact the idea of my original project called Driver 2 Advance DX, while Anniversary is a rather simple modification intended to pay tribute to the original game and being compatible in multiplayer with it as explained above.

Hence, the comparison between the original Driver 2 Advance and the Anniversary version is more relevant here.

T92

Nice. Also, sorry for my ignorance, but, how's the blue face of the third screenshot called?

This one:

YukiNa

Quote from: T92 on November 26, 2022, 01:12:42 PMNice. Also, sorry for my ignorance, but, how's the blue face of the third screenshot called?

This one:

The smiley's called Roto2 - being infamous and kind of recognized as a "mascot" on the Spanish forum forocoches.com - or just ugly smiley, but on the more infamous French forum of jeuxvideo.com it's called :fou: (crazy / mad in french), and is yellow in color with some extra shading.

Around 2010, I made it become (the yellow version) a "mascot" between some members of the french Driver community, driver-dimension.com ; we called it "OF" because of the sound it would make talking considering the uneven look of it's teeth, and we used / spammed it a lot during MSN Messenger chats.

In Driver 2 Advance it was intended as a joke to show how I could modify the game, so I'm not sure if it would be present in the final version of Anniversary.

That's it for the lore. You can find a lot of these on this website : https://www.citysmiley.com/smileys/ugly-1.php

YukiNa

IPS Patch available ! Released as is with some things to be completed. I added a To Do List too to show what's to be completed / corrected later on.

PsxFan107

This is absolutely amazing! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but anyone who dumps an EUR rom and expects this patch to work will end up with a non-working rom. This is because the rom you used for this hack was actually a beta. In order for this to work a EUR dump, the hack will need to be re-based for the actual retail EUR release.

Tsukiyomaru0

Doesn't work. On MGBA, it hangs immediately after the BIOS. On VBA-CE, it loops the BIOS

YukiNa

Quote from: Tsukiyomaru0 on December 02, 2022, 09:44:35 PMDoesn't work. On MGBA, it hangs immediately after the BIOS. On VBA-CE, it loops the BIOS

Are you sure you're using an European ROM and not a U.S.A. one ? If it hangs on a white screen, it means you're using a U.S.A. ROM. (The U.S.A. ROM doesn't have 5 languages, so the ROM is not the same as the EUR one.)

On VBA and MGBA with the Eurasia ROM for my part, it works.

Tsukiyomaru0

100% sure it's european, but is very likely a NoIntro (clean) dump. Fetch the CRC32 of your source.
My Driver 2 Advance EUR CRC32 is: 69EE551C

PsxFan107

Funny, how I mentioned that exact problem with the ROM in my post and it seems neither of you actually read it.

Tsukiyomaru0:
The problem is not your rom. The problem is he used a beta rom when he made the hack so the patch won't work for anyone.

YukiNa:
I literally said this in my post. Because you used a BETA rom when making the hack instead of the actual EUR retail release, people literally cannot use this hack. Case and point.

Tsukiyomaru0

Quote from: PsxFan107 on December 03, 2022, 03:50:43 PMFunny, how I mentioned that exact problem with the ROM in my post and it seems neither of you actually read it.

Tsukiyomaru0:
The problem is not your rom. The problem is he used a beta rom when he made the hack so the patch won't work for anyone.

YukiNa:
I literally said this in my post. Because you used a BETA rom when making the hack instead of the actual EUR retail release, people literally cannot use this hack. Case and point.

I might have not seen at the time.

YukiNa

@PsxFan107 : Yes, I think your message appeared a day later for some reason. Anyway... It's my very first romhack so I'm not too aware of the issues a difference of ROM / version of the game can cause regarding patches...

I thought there was only the Eurasia ROM out there but if you don't mind to send me the link in PM to the ROM you've downloaded (I have 2 new/unsealed copies of the game) to see what I can do about it, I'd appreciate. (Same for Tsukiyomaru0)

I'm not sure if the Eurasia ROM is a Bêta as you said, but... I changed the first two bits of this ROM in order to bypass the Eurasia hackers intro screen, sooooo... The issue might come from here and wouldn't be hard to fix hopefuly. At least the patch works with the Eurasia ROM so nothing is fundamentally gone or broken so to speak.

@Tsukiyomaru0 : Can you explain me about this CRC32 thing ? Does the "value" you wrote (69EE551C) are the first bytes of the rom ? How can I check that ?

Tsukiyomaru0

There are applications out there that allows you to check/compute a file's CRC32. Like Winrar (when you open a compressed file in Winrar, specially those containing ROMs, there's a column showing the CRC32). But personally I use HashTab from MajorGeeks. It's outdated, but it's a convenient improvement for the File Properties from any Open window or Windows Explorer that adds a tab specifically for file hashes, which includes of course the CRC32

EDIT: as for matters of using Beta ROMs, I'd be extremely cautious. Most of the time Beta ROMs have built-in debug features that are too easy to trip, or have game breaking bugs, or saving issues, or cannot even work on the most stable emulators and instead requires an unstable (often obscure) emulator.

PsxFan107

YukiNa: It's not as simple as a small change to the rom. The rom you used was different and everything was stored in different locations throughout the rom. You'll need to re-base your work.

Also, I'd like to apologize for being irate about the information seemingly not getting out. My post was undergoing approval for some ungodly reason and the approval took forever. I had assumed it got approved before either of you posted. My bad.

YukiNa

It's fine, I just wonder where you could get an European ROM other than the Eurasia one...

EDIT : Ok, found the "non-Bêta" ROM, it was easy... For some reason, I've always sticked to the Eurasia one up until this day...  :(

I guess modifying another version of the ROM wouldn't be too long and just asks to spot the same values to change at different adresses. I'd need a better HEX editor than the one I use, Hexplorer, to be able to copy long range of values from a given adress to another.

T92

Quote from: YukiNa on November 26, 2022, 09:10:38 PMThe smiley's called Roto2 - being infamous and kind of recognized as a "mascot" on the Spanish forum forocoches.com - or just ugly smiley, but on the more infamous French forum of jeuxvideo.com it's called :fou: (crazy / mad in french), and is yellow in color with some extra shading.

Around 2010, I made it become (the yellow version) a "mascot" between some members of the french Driver community, driver-dimension.com ; we called it "OF" because of the sound it would make talking considering the uneven look of it's teeth, and we used / spammed it a lot during MSN Messenger chats.

In Driver 2 Advance it was intended as a joke to show how I could modify the game, so I'm not sure if it would be present in the final version of Anniversary.

That's it for the lore. You can find a lot of these on this website : https://www.citysmiley.com/smileys/ugly-1.php
Thanks.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

YukiNa

Quote from: Tsukiyomaru0 on December 04, 2022, 12:53:57 AMThere are applications out there that allows you to check/compute a file's CRC32. Like Winrar (when you open a compressed file in Winrar, specially those containing ROMs, there's a column showing the CRC32). But personally I use HashTab from MajorGeeks. It's outdated, but it's a convenient improvement for the File Properties from any Open window or Windows Explorer that adds a tab specifically for file hashes, which includes of course the CRC32

EDIT: as for matters of using Beta ROMs, I'd be extremely cautious. Most of the time Beta ROMs have built-in debug features that are too easy to trip, or have game breaking bugs, or saving issues, or cannot even work on the most stable emulators and instead requires an unstable (often obscure) emulator.

Okay, I compared the ROMs a little, CRC32 of the Bêta is 3AA665E5, and the non-Bêta has more lines that shifts everthing a little downwards compared to the Eurasia ROM. The most annoying thing to change will be pointers I suppose, but it would be done much faster than the time asked to make the whole mod. I'll see that next month.

YukiNa

Quote from: YukiNa on December 05, 2022, 10:24:17 PMOkay, I compared the ROMs a little, CRC32 of the Bêta is F9437A5F, and the non-Bêta has more lines that shifts everthing a little downwards compared to the Eurasia ROM. The most annoying thing to change will be pointers I suppose, but it would be done much faster than the time asked to make the whole mod. I'll see that next month.

EDIT : Mistake ! Please delete this post !