News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Cyber Knight (SNES) Addendum v1.00

Started by mziab, November 23, 2022, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mziab

Project information

The purpose of this patch is to fix all known technical issues with the English translation by Aeon Genesis and improve the presentation a bit. This is NOT a retranslation/rewrite or a complete technical revamp, just some extra polish for a translation I thoroughly enjoyed. Most of the fixes are carried over from the Polish translation I've released back in 2007, plus some more recent additions, including the translated opening credits (for which I wrote a separate decompressor and compressor!) and retranslated enemy names (with plenty obscure mythological references). And, as is tradition at this point, I've also included an optional patch for reducing the grind. Enjoy!

Changelog

v1.00 (November 23rd, 2022)

- Translated the opening credits (using the Cyber Knight 2 font) and adjusted their display time

- Fixes all known text overflows and typos in the dialogue

- Retranslated a couple dialogue strings to make them closer to the original

- Retranslated enemy names to restore mythological references

- Renamed Captain Donyprof to the intended Dneprov (a real-life sci-fi writer)

- Expanded the options in the name entry screen (no more "Nxt" and "Bac")

- Fixed the alignment of the player name and Power stat in the Set Abilities screen

- Expanded the lab, bridge and medical bay menus, so that options fit in one line

- Full character names are displayed where possible (no more "Klei" and "Shin")

- Improved the character status screen:

- Renamed IQ stat to Int

- Renamed Quik to Speed

- Expanded skill names

- Expanded character classes (no more "Scientis" and "Commandr")

- Moved some stats around for a more symmetrical look

- Fixed part of Nehjena's name which mistakenly appeared in the middle of Shine's stats

- Expanded the Short Jump Menu, so that planet and system names display in full

- Expanded the Long Jump menu, so that "Worldring" displays in full

- Fixed some enemy names appearing blank in battle messages (e.g. Arachnsaur)

- Fixed truncated names in Neoparts analysis messages

- Expanded the Neoparts menu in the lab, so that enemy names aren't truncated

- Fixed the broken description for Gamma Laser in Arms menu

- Expanded some location names

- Cosmetic fixes to various other menus

Credits

- mziab: Tools, reprogramming

- Rankin: Testing

Special thanks to Aeon Genesis for translating this little gem back in 2001!

Felipefpl

Kongratz for this work. I love those improvements made on old translations such as this. The font was a nice choice too.  :thumbsup:

Suggestion: It would be nice if the same font was used for the credits. Personally i dont like fonts where the letters are thin ones but that's just my taste. ;)

I likely will try this in the future but 1st i need to play a mega drive RPG after i finish Lodoss War (SNES) here.
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Red Soul

I wish more translation patches got this kind of polishing up treatment. Great work!

mziab

Quote from: Felipefpl on November 23, 2022, 06:06:40 PMKongratz for this work. I love those improvements made on old translations such as this. The font was a nice choice too.  :thumbsup:

Suggestion: It would be nice if the same font was used for the credits. Personally i dont like fonts where the letters are thin ones but that's just my taste. ;)

Thanks! This one took a bit longer than expected, but it was fun to tinker with!

I thought using the 8x8 dialogue font wouldn't look right and I happen to like the VWF font used in Cyber Knight 2, so the decision was simple. Tried out Chicago for a while, but it was just a bit too chunky and the tileset didn't quite fit in VRAM. The way the fade effect worked kinda tied my hands a bit as well.

Quote from: Red Soul on November 24, 2022, 04:14:03 AMI wish more translation patches got this kind of polishing up treatment. Great work!

Thanks! This time the changes are on the modest side, unlike Rayearth, but I hope you enjoy it! It's a neat little sci-fi rpg, somewhat of a rarity on the platform. The sequel is a much better game in terms of mechanics, but it dials down the trippy vibe the first game has going for it.

Red Soul

Just a small note in case people run into problems patching. The translation requires a header, but the other patches don't, so if you see a garbled name entry screen, you'd need to use the RHDN patcher or remove the header from the patch itself. Honestly I wish no header patches were added for these older projects for ease of use.

mziab

Quote from: Red Soul on November 24, 2022, 03:41:44 PMJust a small note in case people run into problems patching. The translation requires a header, but the other patches don't, so if you see a garbled name entry screen, you'd need to use the RHDN patcher or remove the header from the patch itself. Honestly I wish no header patches were added for these older projects for ease of use.

Yeah, I even considered making a patch which applies on top of the original Japanese ROM to circumvent the issue, but since the changes are relatively minor, I opted to require the old translation as the basis instead.

For reference to anyone having trouble, the proper patching procedure is:
1. Get a headerless Japanese ROM
2. Add the header and apply the old v1.01 Aeon Genesis translation
3. Remove the header and apply the addendum

SCO

This tool if you build it, can remove the need of headers from snes and pce patches, if the patch needs them.

I prefer doing that and not hardpatching games, and since the retroarch ips patcher now supports more than one patch at a time, there is no problem using unheadered roms.

mziab

Quote from: SCO on November 26, 2022, 05:49:35 PMThis tool if you build it, can remove the need of headers from snes and pce patches, if the patch needs them.

I prefer doing that and not hardpatching games, and since the retroarch ips patcher now supports more than one patch at a time, there is no problem using unheadered roms.

Yeah, someone should probably replicate that tool as a webapp or something. Under the hood all it does is rewrite the offsets in the patch, subtracting 0x200.

Red Soul

I use IPS Header Changer. It's DOS prompt based and a bit of a hassle, but does the job. It can take headers off patches.