Translations: Goemon: The Successor for a New Generation -- English Translation Released!

Started by RHDNBot, November 21, 2022, 08:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: acediez

Goemon Shin Sedai Shuumei (Goemon: The Successor for a New Generation) is a
single-player action platformer with light exploration elements and first-person
mech battles. It's the last Goemon game released on the original PlayStation.

As a Japan-exclusive, late PS1 game, it's often overlooked, even by fans of the
franchise, who were turned off by the drastic change in style and tone. It also
didn't include a two-player cooperative mode, another franchise staple.

Looking at it by its own merits though, it's a challenging and polished action
platformer with a beautiful presentation, and great soundtrack on top of all.
It's a recommended playthrough for anyone looking out for quality overlooked
2D action platformers of the era.

As a piece of gaming history, it's one of the swan songs of an era that was about to
fade away: that of the 2D action platformers as main console releases.
A trend that would take an entire console generation to come back in some capacity.
If anything, this attempt to adapt a well-known franchise for a more mainstream
audience (unsuccessful for the franchise as it was), is a demonstration of the
compromises game studios had to go through to keep making games of this genre and
value during this era, where the market was pushing them to lower budget handheld
releases. Ironically, the down-scaled GBA port this game got was a taste of what was
in store for the genre.

The translation:

The whole script has been translated, as well as the
video subtitles (covering up the original game's hardcoded Japanese subtitles), menus,
and every single in-game graphic with any text on them.
The bulk of the script can be found on the mostly-optional town dialogues and side-quests.
So, while the game was technically beatable without knowing any Japanese, a big part of
its content wouldn't have been accessible. Now it is. Enjoy!

This project is dedicated to the Goemon SFC translation team of DDS, Tom and FlashPV.
It was my pleasure and honor to work with some of you, and to be part of the wave of attention
to the Goemon franchise your work sparked.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Josephine Lithius

Oh, gosh!  After playing through the GBA New Generation game and learning this one existed, I've been wanting a translation of this game for the longest time!  And now, here it is!!

It's a shame New Generation Goemon wasn't as popular as the Ganbare series.  I liked seeing what the distant future held for the descendants of Goemon and friends!  I'm definitely gonna have to set some time aside and play this region-locked wonder!

saito

Good job.I'll try this one out after I finish the PS2 game!  :woot!:
Nice title screen btw.
.: TransGen :.

kaiisen

kmilloz

I applied the patch, but the message appears that the cd is unusable... could anyone help? thanks  :-\
I tested it with another emulator and it worked. Thanks anyway.