News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Chrono Trigger Soundtrack Expansion

Started by PowerPanda, November 20, 2022, 12:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPanda

This is a thread dedicated to the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack Expansion Project. CTSE is a romhack that adds in 12 new pieces of music to Chrono Trigger. The 12 pieces of music include:

3 Songs are on the game cartridge, but never used within the game
* Battle 2
* Singing Mountain
* Rat-A-Tat-Tat It's... Mitsuda

4 Songs were recreate from the PSX and DS re-releases
*  A Meeting with Destiny
*  One Sunny Day When We Met
*  Scattering Blossoms
*  A Time to Rest -After the Battle-

1 Song had a different arrangement on the CD Soundtrack
* Frog's Theme (With Intro)

3 Songs were on the Japanese Pre-release cartridge that was sent to gaming magazines
* Keeper's Dome
* Ascend to the Light
* Boss Battle 3

Finally, 1 Song was found in leftover junk data on the Japanese rom, and was restored
*  Alarming Crisis

Here is a showcase video:

The reason I'm creating a thread for a project that has already been released is that it is still in development. After releasing version 2.0, Reld, Gi, and I made some breakthroughs on the sound engine, allowing us to include more instruments, better reverb, and potentially even more music. A 3.0 version is officially in development.

As of tonight, I have developed ASM code that allows the random battle music to be changed out on a map-by-map basis. There are quite a few things that can be done with this, including the ability to let each time period have unique battle music. To facilitate that, I've extracted the alternate instrumentations of Battle 1 from the Pre-release rom. That leaves 3 versions: standard, drum-heavy, and synth-heavy. I've yet to see what the best method will be for implementing these into the game, but I'm excited about the possibilities.

Vanya

PowerPanda

So, now that I have the ability to set battle music by map, I'm soliciting opinions on what battle music people want where. I can take 2 approaches: 1) different music by time period, and 2) different music by dungeon. I'm listing all of the dungeons, by time period, below. If music is listed, it means that there is currently an override event in place that forces it to not use general battle music. If there is an "NA" listed, it means that there are no random battles that occur.

If I don't get any opinions, then I'm probably going to have Past/Present have Battle 1, Future/Antiquity have Battle 2, and Prehistory use either "Burn Bobonga!" or the Pre-Release Battle 1 Rough.

Quote1000 AD - Present
 Millenial Fair (Gato)
 Guardia Forest
 Guardia Castle Prison
 Guardia Castle Basement
 Heckran Cave
 Sunken Desert
 Northern Ruins - N/A
 Forest Secret - N/A

600 AD - Past
 Truce Canyon
 Guardia Forest
 Manoria Cathedral
 Zenan Bridge
 Denadoro Mountains
 Cursed Woods
 Magic Cave
 Magus's Castle
 Ozzie's Fort
 Northern Ruins
 Giant's Claw - Tyrano Lair

2300 AD - Future
 Lab 16
 Arris Dome
 Lab 32
 Sewer Access
 Factory Ruins
 Geno Dome
 Death Peak
 Sun Palace - N/A

65,000,000 BC - Prehistory
 Mystic Mountain
 Hunting Range - Burn Bobonga!
 Forest Maze
 Reptite Lair
 Dactyl Nest
 Tyrano Lair - Tyrano Lair

12,000 BC - Antiquity
 Beast's Nest
 Mt. Woe
 Ocean Palace - Ocean Palace
 Blackbird
 North Cape - NA

Black Omen - Black Omen
End of Time - NA

julayla

Sounds incredible. Here's hoping the game will be amazing with more of these soundtracks in the game.

andrewclunn

Giant's Claw - Tyrano Lair should match whatever you do for prehistory.  I also like the occasional "no music change during battle" approach (such as in the ocean palace) and think there's nothing wrong with using that for dungeons that are being given a song from one of the expanded tracks.

PowerPanda

Quote from: andrewclunn on November 22, 2022, 10:38:59 AMGiant's Claw - Tyrano Lair should match whatever you do for prehistory.  I also like the occasional "no music change during battle" approach (such as in the ocean palace) and think there's nothing wrong with using that for dungeons that are being given a song from one of the expanded tracks.

So, there are 4 dungeons that do this:
Black Omen
Ocean Palace
Tyrano Lair
Giant's Claw (which plays the Tyrano Lair theme)

My plan had been to keep Giant's Claw exactly as it is, playing the Tyrano Lair theme through the battles.

Vanya

I'm definitely partial to "1) different music by time period".

"...Past/Present have Battle 1, Future/Antiquity have Battle 2, and Prehistory use either "Burn Bobonga!" or the Pre-Release Battle 1 Rough."

That sounds good to me. I'd probably go with "Pre-Release Battle 1 Rough" over "Burn Bobonga!".

MD_Prometh

Oh nice.

Be cool if someone could port over the DS translation to the SNES version, as that version is far superior to the Ted Woolsey translation in my book.

PowerPanda

Quote from: Vanya on November 22, 2022, 06:11:51 PMThat sounds good to me. I'd probably go with "Pre-Release Battle 1 Rough" over "Burn Bobonga!".

So I went through the process of porting "Battle 1 Rough" over to the main game, which includes re-assigning instruments. The mildly distorted bass guitar doesn't exist in the main game, so I had to give it the normal bass guitar. Aside from that though, everything else is a 1:1 match.

And... ... it really doesn't fit in Prehistory. It sounds really "off" when placed there. I think it has to do with the song's lack of reverb compared to the relatively high reverb of the rest of the Prehistory music. Burn Bobonga fits much better. However, since I had gone through the work of porting the song over anyway, I gave "Battle 1 Rough" to Gato. It fits perfectly there. :thumbsup:

Quote from: MD_Prometh on November 22, 2022, 08:07:00 PMBe cool if someone could port over the DS translation to the SNES version, as that version is far superior to the Ted Woolsey translation in my book.

I agree, but that is so far out of this project's scope that it has its own postal code.

PowerPanda

Battle themes are inserted. Here is what it sounds like in action.

SeriousKano

Is this compatible with the Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch? That would be fantastic and the ultimate version to play for me.

PowerPanda

Quote from: SeriousKano on November 29, 2022, 07:35:07 AMIs this compatible with the Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch? That would be fantastic and the ultimate version to play for me.

I'll make sure to check for this. Either the original patch will be compatible, or I'll make a compatibility patch. Typically, the changes being made only differ by a handful of bytes. I've taken comprehensive notes that allow me to port this to another version in under an hour.

Memorex

I feel all these changes from the latest video makes perfect sense  :thumbsup:

Vanya

Quote from: PowerPanda on November 24, 2022, 10:21:23 PMBattle themes are inserted. Here is what it sounds like in action.

Nice! I see what you mean about Battle 1 Rough.

julayla

Quote from: Vanya on November 30, 2022, 09:22:50 PMNice! I see what you mean about Battle 1 Rough.

Well this is quite interesting. And yes, I believe each time period would want to have a different battle theme (and boss theme) as well. Though I got a feeling it may be difficult to give 12,000 BC (before Black Omen) its own battle theme and each time period with their own boss battle themes.

PowerPanda

Quote from: julayla on December 01, 2022, 10:30:58 AMWell this is quite interesting. And yes, I believe each time period would want to have a different battle theme (and boss theme) as well. Though I got a feeling it may be difficult to give 12,000 BC (before Black Omen) its own battle theme and each time period with their own boss battle themes.

I actually have the code in place to be able to do this. Being able to set battle theme by map opens up all of the possibilities. The thing is, I only have 3 battle themes to work with... Battle 1, Battle 2, and Burn Bobonga. Battle 1 rough is just too rough to be used as a main battle theme. The other prerelease battle theme, which the Cutting Room Floor incorrectly identifies as "futuristic", is just the same battle theme we already have, but with the wrong instruments applied. For Boss themes, I have 3 to work with, including the prerelease song that I've labeled "Boss Battle 3".

All of that is a long way of asking, what other songs from the soundtrack would you include as Battle themes?

julayla

That is a tricky question. Maybe for the 12,000 BC one, the Strange Happening song can be for 12,000 BC? Or maybe A Shot of Crisis (unless that's already planned for something else)? They sound like intense battle songs as well. But that's just my picks. You can do whatever you want, I'm just spitballing here

PowerPanda

Reld, Gi Nattak, and I completed our work on Version 3.0 this evening. We added quite a few more musical queues, allowing you to hear new music more often throughout the game. You can now hear 5 of the new songs in the first 10 minutes of the game! This includes finally giving Lucca and Marle proper character themes ("A Meeting With Destiny" and "One Sunny Day When We Met", respectively).

As shown above, there is new ASM that allows changing up the battle music by time period. You now get quite a variety of battle themes as you play. "Battle 1 Rough" was ported over from the Pre-Release rom, but due to its odd mixing (it really is rough), it is only used as Gato's Battle Theme at the moment.

Additionally, we have worked at improving 4 of the songs. "Boss Battle 3" had its echo buffer and volume fixed, so that it plays correctly on the more system-accurate emulators BSNES and SNES9x. "Scattering Blossoms" also had its echo buffer fixed, getting rid of the glitchy tambourine. After listening to some of the music from Radical Dreamers, Gi Nattak and I figured out how to make the music box in "A Time to Rest" sound better by slightly staggering the notes off of each other. Finally, Reld worked some unknown magic on "A Meeting With Destiny", simulating a 9th audio track by having the percussion jump around between tracks, which allowed us to add the French Horn back in. It truly must be heard to be believed.

On the back-end hacking side of things, we have properly expanded the drum table, so that new music that people add can have a drum table. Lastly, Reld is working on modding the Chrono Trigger Editor, Temporal Flux, to detect if CTSE is applied. If so, it will allow you to place the new songs as you would any other music. There may be more goodies added too, but Reld is still working on it.

Now that the 3 of us have Version 3.0 ready, we just need to port the changes over to Enhansa Edition, Chrono Trigger Plus, and the Bugfixed and Uncensored version. Then we will release it on RHDN. I am curious about porting this over to Schala Edition, but I have never played Schala Edition. If anyone is familiar with it and wants to help, let me know.

SeriousKano

That sounds fantastic! Superb work, I can't wait to play it. If it runs on BSNES, it should also work properly with an SD2SNES, right?

PowerPanda

In theory, yes. The one caveat with flash carts is that CTSE is a 48 Mbit (6 MB) expanded rom, larger than the original CT rom, and not every flash cart supports that.