News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Level Loop problem with ZAMN Rom hacking

Started by ShadowJJ007, November 18, 2022, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowJJ007

Hi I've been working on a new ZAMN Rom hack and I didn't really notice a major issue until it came time to give the final play-through.
For some reason once you get to level 6 it won't allow you to advance past it even with the settings set to end the game after level 12.
Instead it just level loops and forces you to play level 6 over and over indefinitely.
Does anyone know why it does this and how to remedy this issue?
I've also noticed that sometimes if you reset the game it will pass level 6, but after level 8 it will return to level 6.
After beating level 6 a second time it will go to level 9 and then once level 9 completes it just black screens.
Also sometimes when you complete level 6 it will skip to level 12 the last level in my hack, but once you restart it won't happen again for a couple play throughs .
Why is my romhack all over the place?
The levels are in proper order in the editor.
Also one other thing i have noticed is that if i load up the hack in the editor, but then i don't change anything and i just save it again and relaunch it in the emu the outcome changes and does something else crazy. It's almost like the placement of the items on screen plus the order there loaded, and collected is somehow editing the games coding. I've seen this done in speedruns of Yoshi's Island using item placement and management so i would imagine that it's theoretically possible . I know it's a mess, but somebody Please Help lol

Thanks in advance,
ShadowJJ007
ShadowJJ007 - RetroHeart

Jorpho

Quote from: ShadowJJ007 on November 18, 2022, 12:06:02 PMAlso one other thing i have noticed is that if i load up the hack in the editor, but then i don't change anything and i just save it again and relaunch it in the emu the outcome changes and does something else crazy.
You can calculate the ROM's checksum before and after loading to confirm that nothing has actually changed.  You can use https://www.romhacking.net/hash/ for that, or there are heaps of standalone offline utilities. (You can even use a ZIP program capable of displaying CRC32 data.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!