ROM Hacks: Windows 2000 NES released in English

Started by RHDNBot, November 18, 2022, 06:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: tygerbug

What if Windows 95, 98 or 2000 was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicom)?

In the 2000s, there were several "educational" multicarts for the Subor and Dendy systems that attempted to duplicate some of the Windows experience, and turn the Famicom hardware into something more like an 8-bit computer.

This is a hack which translates the Russian "Bravesoft Windows" (also released in Chinese as SuborWin) to English, and decompresses and redesigns the graphics.

While not all of it is functional, or even intended to be functional, most of the Applications work, especially with use of the Subor keyboard (or an emulated equivalent).

As with many other Subor educational multicarts, users can program games in Family Basic. There are multiple word processors and a version of Excel. You can play traditional Russian songs or other music. There's also card games and Minesweeper.

For those unfamiliar with Chinese and Russian educational multicarts, this is also a good introduction to what they were like. It's something a little different for the NES.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

KingMike

"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Green Jerry

When you click on the volume icon, the text changes back into Russian, the Games icon changes, and the background color changes back to the darker blue of the vanilla ROM.
My latest Portuguese translation: Popeye (NES)
New English translation! Gardman (NES)

Linktree

tygerbug

Okay, I missed that screen, I'll fix it.

There are some other issues noted in the ReadMe, things that I haven't figured out yet.

Coincidence, we've both done Gardman (NES) restorations this year.