ROM Hacks: Reduce Random Encounters in Breath of Fire!

Started by RHDNBot, November 16, 2022, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Ok Impala!

Right on the heels of a reduced encounter rate patch for Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, here is a similar patch for the original Breath of Fire! This patch lowers the encounter rate in Breath of Fire (SNES), so you can play the game with less interruptions by random battles. You can choose from two different patches:

Choose your preferred encounter rate:

- 01 Breath of Fire (less encounters)(-50%)

- 02 Breath of Fire (few encounters)(-75%)

Optional:

- Double Exp and Gold (by Justin3009). This will be useful when playing with a low encounter rate.

Please note that the Gown and SageML will still raise the encounter rate, so be aware when using those items.

You can combine these patches with other Breath of Fire hacks, like FlamePurge's War of the Goddess patch.

Enjoy Breath of Fire once more, this time without the grind!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

foiopaulo

Thanks! I've been in love with BoF for so long, now it's time to finish it again, and quicker!!

Ok Impala!

I fell in love again while creating this patch! I really like the vibrant colors and all the little details in the towns. The world feels alive and interesting. Breath of Fire has all those small things I love about JRPGs!  :)

Candra Software

I've been enjoying the music in both Breath of Fire games recently.

Shinespark

There was equipment that raised the encounter rate?? That explains a lot in my childhood.

Cahos Rahne Veloza

Spoiler
[close]

I apologize for the huge image, that's just how I play my games. Anyway, I applied both your patches, the 50% less encounter one and the Double Exp and Gold one. And now the game freezes at this part of the beginning after going down the stairs and when I talk to that Sage who wakes you up at the beginning. What could I be doing wrong?

Ok Impala!

Quote from: Cahos Rahne Veloza on November 22, 2022, 12:57:58 PMI apologize for the huge image, that's just how I play my games. Anyway, I applied both your patches, the 50% less encounter one and the Double Exp and Gold one. And now the game freezes at this part of the beginning after going down the stairs and when I talk to that Sage who wakes you up at the beginning. What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. The double exp and gold patch is causing this problem. I've just uploaded v1.1 in the queue. Please download that version and patch again on a clean ROM. Please let me know if you encounter any other problem.  :)

Cahos Rahne Veloza

Quote from: Ok Impala! on November 23, 2022, 12:39:41 AMThank you very much for bringing this to my attention. The double exp and gold patch is causing this problem. I've just uploaded v1.1 in the queue. Please download that version and patch again on a clean ROM. Please let me know if you encounter any other problem.  :)

Glad I was able to contribute something useful to your project and not just show ineptitude at doing something as basic as applying a ROM Hack patch onto a ROM  :banghead:

And good luck on your other projects as well  :thumbsup:

Red Soul

Keep those coming! RPGs are much more enjoyable with reasonably paced battle pauses. Love your work, OK Impala.

Ok Impala!

Quote from: Red Soul on November 24, 2022, 05:27:11 PMKeep those coming! RPGs are much more enjoyable with reasonably paced battle pauses. Love your work, OK Impala.

Thanks! It has been fun to finally improve these three classic JRPGs!  :)