News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

SOR2 Compression Utility

Started by LightRayn, November 11, 2022, 12:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightRayn

An update on music in the SOR2 ROM:

I've been using Mucom 88 to create music for the ROM (It was designed by Yuzo Koshiro and is an updated version of the tool he used to make the in game music.) He also released some of the source files for the Music which I've been using/studying (I was able to Rick Roll my son with it.  :laugh: ) I found where the game points to the offsets for the music at 0x0429CE, It appears to be a table of values, which when the values are added to 429CE, equal the address of the music. Ex. the first value is 0x0200, so 200 + 429CE = 042BCE which is the address where BGM 00 is located.
(429CE - Table of values used to load tracks in ROM (429CE + Table Value = Track Offset))

The only issue I see is making it easier to create the music, it's coded in MML, and you have to use the Voices.dat file that Yuzo created for the ROM.

Mucom88 - https://onitama.tv/mucom88/index_en.html
SOR2(And others) music source - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TFuuvyzlTIaeUMQUmn2tK0mUOET-0e7a/view?usp=share_link

Must begin with 00 C2 XX XX

LightRayn

While I try to find a way to make it at least a little easier to replace the music in the ROM, I'm working on an update for the screen replacer that adds the ability to replace multiple screens at once. I'm also adding a guide for Syndicate wars version 0.9.

LightRayn

Version 3.32 of the Screen Replacer is in the Queue, it includes a guide file for Syndicate Wars 0.9. I also changed the UI so instead of buttons used to replace screens one at a time, there are check boxes for each screen allowing you to replace multiple or all screens at once. I haven't created a way to replace the portraits for Syndicate Wars yet so if you try to it won't work correctly. I plan to add this to a future release.

Candra Software

Syndicate Wars 0.9, as in an earlier version before Zan & Roo were added?! The version of Streets of Rage 2 that I've done the most research on? Yes! Streets of Rage'2 compression is one thing that makes me mad about it, unlike SOR1&3.

By "Portraits" for Syndicate Wars, do you mean the icons at its Character Select Screen?

Too bad I can't run this tool on Windows 7, but on Windows 8 I can run it.

LightRayn

Quote from: Candra Software on December 29, 2022, 06:32:07 AMSyndicate Wars 0.9, as in an earlier version before Zan & Roo were added?! The version of Streets of Rage 2 that I've done the most research on? Yes! Streets of Rage'2 compression is one thing that makes me mad about it, unlike SOR1&3.

By "Portraits" for Syndicate Wars, do you mean the icons at its Character Select Screen?

Too bad I can't run this tool on Windows 7, but on Windows 8 I can run it.

Yes, by portraits I mean the icons on the character select screen. I had only tested the utility on Windows 10 + 11, I never even thought about trying it on 7 or 8. I'm glad it at least works on Windows 8 though.  ;D

Thank you for using my utility.

Chev

Quote from: LightRayn on December 29, 2022, 01:33:54 PMYes, by portraits I mean the icons on the character select screen. I had only tested the utility on Windows 10 + 11, I never even thought about trying it on 7 or 8. I'm glad it at least works on Windows 8 though.  ;D

Thank you for using my utility.

Hello what a beautiful job you are doing. Your achievements helped the new TMNT Re-Revenge hack
Many thanks.
My question is about art in general, in this Turtles hack on select Screen we have very small thumbnails of Turtles, ( as well as Syndicate wars ) Could we substitute for the original SOR 2 size? or different size?

LightRayn

Progress update: I've combined the Screen Replacer with the Text Replacer I'm currently working on, and I'm planning on adding a music replacer after the text editor is completed. Most of the text can be expanded upon up to between 32 and 34 characters long, depending on the screen.

Candra Software

The text is hard to make out from those screenshots. I like how the desktop shows two instances of Jack's icon.

One time, I made my own reference for the Intro Text:

Can I suggest an option to patch the game so that the ending displays the Hardest Mode Ending Text on any difficulty, like in SOR2: Among Us and TMNT: Shredder's Re-Revenge? Codes for SOR2:SW 0.9:
02976A:000A
02976E:6E10

LightRayn

Quote from: Candra Software on January 01, 2023, 02:26:57 AMThe text is hard to make out from those screenshots. I like how the desktop shows two instances of Jack's icon.

I linked to those pictures I posted on Facebook in the hopes it wouldn't come out blurry, bummer.

Quote from: Candra Software on January 01, 2023, 02:26:57 AMOne time, I made my own reference for the Intro Text:

I like that, I do something similar. Though with the utility I'm having it write new text at the end of the ROM and redirecting the pointers for each line to the new location. This way we can utilize up to between 30 and 34 characters per line.

Quote from: Candra Software on January 01, 2023, 02:26:57 AMCan I suggest an option to patch the game so that the ending displays the Hardest Mode Ending Text on any difficulty, like in SOR2: Among Us and TMNT: Shredder's Re-Revenge? Codes for SOR2:SW 0.9:
02976A:000A
02976E:6E10

I like that, I'll take your advise, thank you!  ;D

LightRayn

I'm currently working on an all in one ROM editor. It has the Screen Replacer (with a few bug fixes), a text editor and a checksum fixer. I'm also planning on implementing a music replacer.

LightRayn

Okay, So I've turned the Screen replacer into a ROM editor that includes Screen Replacer (Obviously), various text editors for each text field throughout the ROM (You can now use every letter of the alphabet for the large character fields on the character select screen. You can also fill up the entire screen with text in between each ending image.) There's also a Checksum fixer so you don't need an outside program for that. There is a menu option for music replacement, but it just shows a message saying I'm still working on it. For the music editor portion I'm still working on a midi to mml converter and compiler/inserter. The music editor/replacer will be added in the next release.
I also made a few quality of life fixes like I added a routine to fix the shimmer effect on the Title Screen and Story Screen 2.

I'll have it uploaded once I finish the guide for Syndicate Wars V 0.9.

LightRayn

Quote from: Chev on December 31, 2022, 09:59:46 PMHello what a beautiful job you are doing. Your achievements helped the new TMNT Re-Revenge hack
Many thanks.
My question is about art in general, in this Turtles hack on select Screen we have very small thumbnails of Turtles, ( as well as Syndicate wars ) Could we substitute for the original SOR 2 size? or different size?
Thank you!
Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm working on adding a means to replace the portraits in the Syndicate Wars ROM. I'm about to release a ROM Editor that includes the Screen replacer, but the ability to replace the portraits for SW won't be available until the release after.

LightRayn

ROM Editor is in the queue. Here's a link to the how to video:https://youtu.be/KMU-FE03O7w
If you want to download it now, there's a link in the video description that also includes a few extras.

LightRayn

So the way I modify the Music in the ROM, is I start with a Midi and use ConvFMML to convert it to a Mucom88 .Muc File. I then use Mucom88 in conjunction with the files Yuzo Koshiro shared (bare2voice.dat & bare2pcm.bin) to first edit the .muc if necessary and compile it to a .Mub (Mucom Binary.)

I've added a file converter to the ROM Editor which takes the .mub and converts it to a format the ROM can read. The two types are very similar but just copying the raw .mub into the ROM will not work. I've also added to the ROM Editor, a means to place the properly formatted music binary into the ROM over which ever BGM you want.

I'm going to make a video showing both how to use ConvFMML and Mucom88 to make music for your ROM hacks. I'm also going to show how to use the Music Replacer/Inserter in the ROM Editor. Once the video is uploaded, I will update the blog with links and the new version ROM Editor will be placed in the queue.

LightRayn

The new version ROM Editor is in the Queue. I linked to a video I made showing it's usage. I strongly suggest watching the video as there's 2 external tools included used to convert midi's. I do plan to build in an editor, converter and compiler for midi and .muc files in the near future. There will also be files ready to insert into the ROM hosted at Retro-Replay.com once we get about 30 of them done. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

LightRayn

If you want to download and use it ahead of time, here's a link to the video. There's a download link in the description.
https://youtu.be/LElpeVm2YRs

LightRayn

Version 2.22 just got through the queue and I already had to submit version 2.23(Bugfix)
I found a bug in the Mub converter where compiled mub's under certain conditions wouldn't format correctly. This was due to the way I had it remove unnecessary bytes at the end of the file. It would remove too much. The new version with the bugfix is in the queue though.