News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Treasure Conflix - English Translation

Started by Krokodyl, November 04, 2022, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krokodyl

Hello,

I've been working on a translation of the Satellaview game Treasure Conflix developped by Squaresoft.

The project is well advanced, I feel like I'm done with all the programming in the current state and have translated a good part.
Now, I'm looking for beta-testers and proofreaders.
There are some texts that I've not been able to test in game (e.g. some of the auction lines). Some of which I haven't found the pointer for.

Here's the project page: https://github.com/Krokodyl/treasure-conflix

Note: I mostly use the DRM free English BIOS for the Satellaview with bsnes. Let me know if there are issues with different setups.

Any constructive feedback (about bugs, dialogs, nouns, layouts, visuals, etc.) is welcome.

Cheers

CDRomance

Awesome project!
I'm pretty sure you know these cos it's very early on but just in case.

Red Soul

You are on a roll, sir! quite an obscure but interesting game. This feeling of faux free form exploration is something I enjoy. I wish it became something bigger, like a franchise. I'll report odd findings here.

bigbob

Thanks for your efforts. Great job.
I will try the beta patch if possible.

stry8993

Thanks for posting about this on twitter @cdromance , this looks great. Haven't really messed around with the FXPak Pro enough to figure out how to get Satelleview games to launch properly, but, I'm sure its not TOO difficult.

nf6429

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rselqo_i2O4leWZ0uPE0ad2gKDS-sxTq?usp=share_link
Besides the bonus stage issue reported, Raizeltown is spelt Razzle here. Also, not sure if it was intended, but the yes and no dialogue when lift off/entering combat isn't centred (yes specifically)

Krokodyl

Quote from: CDRomance on November 06, 2022, 02:46:37 PM
I missed it because some dialogs have multiple pointers to them. Some latest changes I made to support that messed it up.
That's fixed.

Quote from: nf6429 on November 08, 2022, 06:45:05 AMhttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rselqo_i2O4leWZ0uPE0ad2gKDS-sxTq?usp=share_link
Besides the bonus stage issue reported, Raizeltown is spelt Razzle here. Also, not sure if it was intended, but the yes and no dialogue when lift off/entering combat isn't centred (yes specifically)

Good catch, I spelt Raizeltown differently in an early version.

As for the YES/NO prompt, I'm not sure how to go about it. In the Japanese version, they actually use the English words but with a wide font (16x16).

As I didn't change the position of the cursor, with the regular font, all the yes/no will look a bit off center.

I could leave the prompt with the wide font. It'd look like this:

Do you prefer the text centered even though it mixes narrow and wide fonts?

I haven't looked into moving the cursor yet because I suspect that it's hardcoded for the whole game as all the questions always have only two answers in the exact same spots:

In this case, the words "treasures" and "intel" wouldn't fit on screen with the wide font and the cursor position.

Thanks for the feedback!

nf6429

Personally I'm alright with the wide font, if it's only for yes and no options. Does also help highlight the choices importance. But really it's not a huge issue, only the entering combat text looks weird with narrow. I'll just hope the cursor isn't hardcoded whole game. Thanks!

Krokodyl

Hey everyone,

I'm switching the repository to private to finish working on it.

For the two people in the back who still care about this project, I want to share a bit of the backstage.

As my initial post states:

QuoteI'm looking for beta-testers and proofreaders.

Apart from the couple of people here, I got no feedback. Instead, what I got is that someone released a pre-patched rom of the game with my translation, which I haven't even released here yet!

If you downloaded the patch and played the game, saw some bugs and reported them: thank you for your contribution!
If you downloaded the patch and played the game, saw some bugs and never reported them then you're not beta-testing, you're just playing the f***ing game!

You may say to yourself: "maybe there was no bug, so that's why you got no feedback".
That's where an interesting feature of github comes in, the traffic tab in a public repository shows to the owner where the visitors are coming from. That's how I discovered where people had shared the link to the repository and down the rabbit hole, I found Twitch VODs and Youtube videos of the full playthrough of the patched game.
After watching these videos (hours of my life I'm not getting back), I can clearly see some bugs that nobody ever reported.

I made the patch public (here in this thread, and only here) for people to beta-test it. Since people are just playing a pre-patched rom, what's the point of me finishing the translation? I even heard a guy, in one video, say after seeing a bug near the end "the translator probably never reached the end of the game", yikes, talk about adding salt to injury. How do you think I translated the end credit?
Another one was circle-jerking with his 12 viewers about being the first one to release a VOD in English (another videos showing bugs, never reported).
I don't even know if I can blame these streamers since I don't know where they got the patch from, now that it is in the wild. It's very likely they've never seen this thread.

As I work completely by myself, I felt guilty, on previous projects, to never ask for the community feedback before releasing a patch. Now that I do, this is what I get...

I realize this update turned into a rant. My apologies.

I just think it's a bit disrespectful to take away from me the agency of how I release my own work. Even more so when said work took me dozens of hours and was not ready.
Am I wrong to think that?

Bonesy

in any case i hope you are able to find people that will actually beta test this for you. might want to also contact the site that is distributing it and tell them to stop it. hopefully they will.

goldenband

Quote from: Krokodyl on November 23, 2022, 11:18:06 AMI just think it's a bit disrespectful to take away from me the agency of how I release my own work. Even more so when said work took me dozens of hours and was not ready.
Am I wrong to think that?
You're not wrong! What a drag that people have done this and, doubly so, that they haven't reported the bugs.

I wonder if it's possible that a bot is mostly responsible, i.e. that some ROM site has a bot that crawls RHDN, downloads everything, patches the ROM, uploads it to their site, and then people download the pre-patched, work-in-progress ROM and never even know where it really comes from.

In any event I appreciate your efforts and, though I know nothing about this game (and frankly have very little time to play video games lately), I love to see this kind of work happen. Thank you for everything you do and have done!

KiryuRealty

Here's some proofreading: "developed" only has one p in it.

Krokodyl

Quote from: KiryuRealty on November 25, 2022, 07:44:52 PMHere's some proofreading: "developed" only has one p in it.

So exactly the same number of a-hole in KiryuRealty. Got it.

Quote from: KiryuRealty on September 03, 2022, 07:14:34 PMYou could always punch it up with a couple of flavour words instead of full-blown charicature

It's "caricature". Like the caricature of a grammar pundit that you are.

Quote from: Bonesy on November 23, 2022, 03:18:59 PMin any case i hope you are able to find people that will actually beta test this for you. might want to also contact the site that is distributing it and tell them to stop it. hopefully they will.

I got in touch with some people and the situation is under control for the time being. Although the patch release is now on the back burner. Thanks for the support.

Jorpho

Well, shoot. I had been waiting for this for twenty years but have been so swamped lately I never got a chance to check it out. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this.

I guess there's still Koi wa Balance in the meantime.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

khalismur

Any work on forgotten SNES games is much appreciated. If you need beta testers at some point I'd gladly do a playthrough.

melusine

Oh crap, I was getting ready to download this and playtest it and then got swamped with work. I'd love to give it a shot -- it looks very interesting. I've really enjoyed your translation of Koi wa Balance!

Your time and effort translating the Satellaview games is definitely appreciated and I hope you don't give up on this project or any future ones.

Zimgief

Oh! I feel bad for you. I didn't post on the topic, but I actually visit it from time to time to see if there's a release (I'm not used to github). I'm really looking forward playing it. An experimental Squaresoft game, with a gorgeous pixel-art, on an obscure platform, from their golden age, of course it piques my interest. I hope their behaviour didn't discourage you too much. :(

xZabuzax

I will definitely play this game as soon as the English translation is completed, this is one of those hidden gems in the Snes era that I always wanted to play.

I hope everything goes well with the project, can't believe someone is finally tackling this game, awesome! Keep up the good work mate!

nf6429

Quote from: Krokodyl on November 23, 2022, 11:18:06 AMAfter watching these videos (hours of my life I'm not getting back), I can clearly see some bugs that nobody ever reported.
I took a break from the game, but I'm planning on coming back to it. What bugs did you notice in the videos ? I don't want to waste your time reporting them.