ROM Hacks: Reduce Random Encounters in Lufia & the Fortress of Doom!

Started by RHDNBot, November 04, 2022, 08:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot


Update By: Ok Impala!

Lufia fans rejoice, the grind ends here! Freshly released, Lufia - Encounter Rate Fix. The patches included will give you the choice to change the encounter rate to your liking for Lufia & the Fortress of Doom. So you can play the game without constant interruption by random battles.

Choose your preferred encounter rate:

- 01 Lufia (less encounters)(-50%)
- 02 Lufia (few encounters)(-80%)
- 03 Lufia (no encounters)(-100%)
- 04 Lufia (higher encounters)(+100%)

Optional:

- AlwaysRetryMode. Turn on Retry Mode from the start. This way you will get 4x experience and gold. This might be useful when playing with a low encounter rate.

Please note that the Monster Ring and Clear Silk will still raise the encounter rate, so be aware when using these items.



Update: Version 1.1

Clear Silk will no longer attract monsters! Please note that the Monster Ring will still raise the encounter rate, so be aware when using that item.



RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

PowerPanda

Ok Impala, you're doing the Lord's work. Thank you for this patch. While digging around in the Lufia rom, I found what I believe to be the hex addresses where the Monster Ring and Clear Silk items set an encounter rate, if you want to edit those with your reductions too.

Monster Ring: 05x6953 (value is currently C0 hex, or 192 dec)
Clear Silk 05x6042 (value is currently set to 93 hex, or 147 dec)

Ok Impala!

Quote from: PowerPanda on November 04, 2022, 09:52:58 AMOk Impala, you're doing the Lord's work. Thank you for this patch. While digging around in the Lufia rom, I found what I believe to be the hex addresses where the Monster Ring and Clear Silk items set an encounter rate, if you want to edit those with your reductions too.

Monster Ring: 05x6953 (value is currently C0 hex, or 192 dec)
Clear Silk 05x6042 (value is currently set to 93 hex, or 147 dec)

Fantastic! I'll look into it and do some testing. Especially Clear Silk would be awesome to fix. The game never tells you that it attracts monsters and it's the best armor for Lufia so naturally you are going to use it. Thanks!  :)

vhms123

My God I can't believe I'll finally be able to play this game without getting absolutely furious with that encounter rate. Thank you, my guy

PowerPanda

Quote from: Ok Impala! on November 04, 2022, 12:32:00 PMFantastic! I'll look into it and do some testing. Especially Clear Silk would be awesome to fix. The game never tells you that it attracts monsters and it's the best armor for Lufia so naturally you are going to use it. Thanks!  :)

I'm sure you've seen this post:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588452-lufia-and-the-fortress-of-doom/78176387

That's where I got the numbers I was looking for. I checked the Lufia editor for the addresses of each of those pieces of equipment, then within their address block, looked for the values listed in that thread. I haven't tested it yet though. I wish I knew how to simply remove the Clear Silk effect, but I do not.

Ok Impala!

Yes, that was the thread that got me interested in looking further into the encounter rate. I guess that giving Clear Silk a value of 00 will do the trick.

FlamePurge

Thank you for this! It's much needed. I will be using data based on this mod to decrease the random encounter rate by 60% in the next version of Lufia 1 Restored.  :)
Check out and discuss my projects

PowerPanda

Quote from: Ok Impala! on November 04, 2022, 04:53:18 PMYes, that was the thread that got me interested in looking further into the encounter rate. I guess that giving Clear Silk a value of 00 will do the trick.

If I understand correctly, that will cause Clear Silk to reduce encounters further than Sweet Water. The "00" value will be included in the average attraction rate. I would probably set it at whatever the base encounter rate is. That way, with no water in effect, it makes no change to the game. With water in effect though, it makes the water's effect 50% less.

Ok Impala!

Quote from: PowerPanda on November 04, 2022, 10:04:43 PMIf I understand correctly, that will cause Clear Silk to reduce encounters further than Sweet Water. The "00" value will be included in the average attraction rate. I would probably set it at whatever the base encounter rate is. That way, with no water in effect, it makes no change to the game. With water in effect though, it makes the water's effect 50% less.

Good point. I'll do some math to see what would be the optimal setting. Or maybe I can just erase the code that makes Clear Silk an "attraction" type at all.

sorrow

Hi there!  Quick question, I've never played Lufia Fortress of Doom, but I'm curious about the -100% random battles and how they would affect doing things like the boss fights.

Without the random battles to level up, how would boss/story fights go? 

Still able to beat them pretty easily?

Ok Impala!

You would still get the normal Boss battles. But if you would use the -100% patch all the time you will be far under leveled for the bosses. If you plan on just playing through the game for the story, you might want to use the -100% patch in combination with a Game Genie code to give you max stats. The -100% patch is also useful to use for parts of the game where you just want to explore without getting interrupted.

And I can also announce that v1.1 has just been submitted to RHDN. This version fixes Clear Silk so it no longer attracts monsters. And I change the step value that determines the amount of steps without a fight after the last fight. In Lufia that value was extremely low. Only the first 3 steps after a fight guarantee that you won't be attacked. But starting from step 4 you can get attacked. I doubled that, so now you can only get into an attack starting from step 8 since your last fight.

For the people interested in the exact addresses:

Step count free of fights since the last fight:
8857 04 (Change 04 to every value you like)

Clear Silk:
056041 17 (Change to 00 so it won't be seen as a monster attraction item).
056042 93 (Change to 0E. I don't know why, but all non-attraction items have the value 0E there, so just to be safe).