Gokujou Parodius (SFC) English Translation + SRAM

Started by blizzz, October 09, 2022, 06:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzz

Hey! I started working on a Gokujou Parodius (SFC) translation earlier this year and recently picked it up again. Initially it only included translations for the story (opening & ending), but I've expanded it to translate boss text too. The graphics aren't final yet, but it's fully playable.

Done:
SRAM saving of highscores and settings
Opening text
Difficulty selection text
Roulette powerup popup text
Laugh attack of the level 2 boss
Text bubbles of the level 5 boss
Ending text for all characters (player 1 & 2 versions)

Not Planned:
Grey bell megaphone powerup (translation will be in the readme)
Text in the background art (might include translations in the readme)

Here's a download link for the current version of the patch: https://blizzz.ovh/files/gokujou_en_221009.zip
I would appreciate some feedback.

Screenshots

Video clip of the level 5 boss fight: https://twitter.com/blizzzilla/status/1496494261533093892

Pethronos

Although I think this game needs some kind of "fastrom improvement" treatment, an English translation is nicely recieved! Thanks blizzz!!

blizzz

It was already released as a FastROM game. So unfortunately there is no easy way to improve performance. Removing the slowdown would require an extensive SA-1 hack.

Cris1997XX

Quote from: Pethronos on October 10, 2022, 11:15:49 AMAlthough I think this game needs some kind of "fastrom improvement" treatment, an English translation is nicely recieved! Thanks blizzz!!
As already mentioned, it would need an SA-1 patch for that. And many SNES emulators on handhelds and other consoles don't support it

Satoshi_Matrix

Gokujou Parodius is one of the best Japan-only games on Super Famicom. I'm glad to see someone's tackling it's limited Japanese text.

Magma MK-II

Maybe you could replace Cappuccino's speech bubble words with interjections like "OUCH!", "GRRR!", etc.

blizzz

Quote from: Magma MK-II on October 11, 2022, 12:04:58 PMMaybe you could replace Cappuccino's speech bubble words with interjections like "OUCH!", "GRRR!", etc.
That's a great idea, thank you.

What do you think of the dots above the o in the ho sprite during the Eliza (mermaid) boss fight? Without the dots there's a lot of blank space in the sprite, which will still kill you if you fly over it. I haven't yet found a way to change the hitbox of the attack.

Midna

Algunar

Quote from: Satoshi_Matrix on October 11, 2022, 01:28:50 AMGokujou Parodius is one of the best Japan-only games on Super Famicom. I'm glad to see someone's tackling it's limited Japanese text.

So I'm equally glad to see this finally occuring, as an absolute Parodius die-hard fan.

I'm even quite pretty surprised as well to finally see this, as I thought at first glance that anyone wanting to tackle any Parodius translation from Japanese to English would first deal with Parodius DA! (which is way easier, as there are both a Japanese rom and an European English language only rom for this episode only. As no English translation from the Japanese rom of Parodius DA! exists today as far as I know, so the only and best alternative for Western audience is still to patch the European rom in an NTSC 60 Hz rom conversion to fully enjoy it).

SRAM saving of highscores and settings feature + English translation (even not complete) for any Parodius episode of SNES is more than enough to make my day, so many thanks to you Blizzz to make this old dream of mine a reality!  :thumbsup:

You can definitely count me in to test in and to provide you some feedback about it later this week!  :crazy:  :happy:

Last but not least, as you have mentioned that Grey bell megaphone powerup translation in game is not planned...well, any way to import the Grey bell English tiles text from Parodius DA! European Rom to Gokujou Parodius? While these English translations might most probably not be the accurate and exact ones for Gokujou Parodius...hey, who cares, they are so damn fun and pretty hilarious to read and to understand anyway, so this would make it as well for me if even possible technically!  :laugh:

After all, as the folks at Konami managed somehow to translate "Parodius DA!" as "Parodius : Non-Sense Fantasy" for the SNES European rom (and as Gokujou Parodius would be translated as "Fantastic Journey", which seems quite equally unaccurate), a non-sense translation title which perfectly fits to this complete and so funny non-sense game anyway...well, everything is possible regarding any translation of any Parodius episode, as long as the "non-senseness like" remains!  :laugh:     

Now, if you ever plan to translate the even much more obscure Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius SNES last episode someday, this would be the cherry on the top of the cake!

Valkyrie

What a happy surprise to find this project!  It'd be neat if someday translated lines on the megaphone could be achieved, but more the merrier for English-translated Parodius!  :crazy:

kikujade

Quote from: blizzz on October 10, 2022, 12:56:06 PMIt was already released as a FastROM game. So unfortunately there is no easy way to improve performance. Removing the slowdown would require an extensive SA-1 hack.

does that mean your patch is compatible with the fastrom patch? or that you've included the fastrom hack within your patch?

by the way thank you so much for doing this! rom hackers and translators are the unsung heroes of classic gaming

tc

Quote from: kikujade on October 12, 2022, 11:33:02 PMdoes that mean your patch is compatible with the fastrom patch? or that you've included the fastrom hack within your patch?

by the way thank you so much for doing this! rom hackers and translators are the unsung heroes of classic gaming

Neither. It can't be hacked for fastrom.
The original SFC cartridge was fastrom.

kikujade

Quote from: tc on October 13, 2022, 12:39:15 AMNeither. It can't be hacked for fastrom.
The original SFC cartridge was fastrom.

ohh I see thanks, and forgive my ignorance. I realized now I could have googled this first  :-X

Drewhinson7

also will there be an english title screen patch for this game soon

kaiisen

In case the reason you won't translate "Text in the background art" is because of having to manipulate the image, I can help you. That is, assuming you just would send me the image so I can edit it myself, as I'm not a programmer.

I could try working on the title screen as well.

Feel free to PM me.

Magma MK-II

Quote from: Algunar on October 12, 2022, 04:12:56 PMSo I'm equally glad to see this finally occuring, as an absolute Parodius die-hard fan.

I'm even quite pretty surprised as well to finally see this, as I thought at first glance that anyone wanting to tackle any Parodius translation from Japanese to English would first deal with Parodius DA! (which is way easier, as there are both a Japanese rom and an European English language only rom for this episode only. As no English translation from the Japanese rom of Parodius DA! exists today as far as I know, so the only and best alternative for Western audience is still to patch the European rom in an NTSC 60 Hz rom conversion to fully enjoy it).

SRAM saving of highscores and settings feature + English translation (even not complete) for any Parodius episode of SNES is more than enough to make my day, so many thanks to you Blizzz to make this old dream of mine a reality!  :thumbsup:

You can definitely count me in to test in and to provide you some feedback about it later this week!  :crazy:  :happy:

Last but not least, as you have mentioned that Grey bell megaphone powerup translation in game is not planned...well, any way to import the Grey bell English tiles text from Parodius DA! European Rom to Gokujou Parodius? While these English translations might most probably not be the accurate and exact ones for Gokujou Parodius...hey, who cares, they are so damn fun and pretty hilarious to read and to understand anyway, so this would make it as well for me if even possible technically!  :laugh:

After all, as the folks at Konami managed somehow to translate "Parodius DA!" as "Parodius : Non-Sense Fantasy" for the SNES European rom (and as Gokujou Parodius would be translated as "Fantastic Journey", which seems quite equally unaccurate), a non-sense translation title which perfectly fits to this complete and so funny non-sense game anyway...well, everything is possible regarding any translation of any Parodius episode, as long as the "non-senseness like" remains!  :laugh:     

Now, if you ever plan to translate the even much more obscure Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius SNES last episode someday, this would be the cherry on the top of the cake!
For the megaphone text he could always the the graphics from the localized arcade version, Fantastic Journey.

Algunar

Now that you mentioned it Magma...well yes indeed, that would be even better for sure!

And the title screen tiles of Fantastic Journey as well to get an even more English accurate version of Gokujou Parodius SNES release!

Poppler

I always thought one of the charms of the Parodius games is how japanese these are. The use of giant over-the-top kanjis among other features fits perfectly with the all the wonderful craziness that happens in the games.

Anyway, it's great to translate the menus and other things that helps making them more playable and enjoyable. The title screen? I think the overseas release of the arcade game and also the Sexy parodius one were pretty poor compared to the japanese originals. If somebody could made tham almost as good as these it would be awesome!

Just a little thing to add: I thinkg The "HO" words of the mermaid would probably be better with exclamations like "HO!" which I think it ads a bit more punch to make it almost as flashy the big original kanjis.

Magma MK-II

If you'd like to keep the letters in lowercase you could probably use "hō".

Valkyrie

Quote from: Magma MK-II on October 13, 2022, 03:54:33 PMFor the megaphone text he could always the the graphics from the localized arcade version, Fantastic Journey.
Depends on if the tiles on GP SFC would allow changing them without too much hassle - though going by the OP of this thread maybe not, unless Blizz didn't explore it before.