News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Convert a save file

Started by Creepercraft, October 02, 2022, 12:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creepercraft

Is it possible to convert a pokemon gold save file to a pokemon crystal save file?, Pokemon crystal has better animations and pokemon sprites, and i want to continue on it, pkhex editor works?
BOOM! Tetris for jeff (CTWC Meme)
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

KingMike

In no way was this a Personal Projects thread.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FAST6191

If the games are related then you might be able to readily convert between them. Gold and Silver are related so maybe the usual change name and try it out will work.

If you have to edit things properly then there is likely enough info out there (some disassemblies already exist) but it is going to be fairly involved.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Save_data_structure_(Generation_II) https://archives.glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_disassembly_projects.html

What you probably instead want to do is find whatever save editor exists for that generation (I don't follow the GBC aspect much for this sort of thing  and start a new game (assuming it alone does not allow it) before saving that. Edit that new save to contain all the same pokemon with all the same stats, items, money and whatever else you want. A few levels mean a lot so rapid speed (even more so if you rapid speed with an emulator) through the game start and you are back at the point you were at or near as makes no difference.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/ https://www.hackromtools.info/hack-tools-gbc/ https://www.pokemoncoders.com/ and a bunch of others like it should have whatever save editors are available.

Creepercraft

The namechange didnt work (at least on mobile) i tried in 2 emulators and the game didnt said "continuar (continue)", its crystal, not silver, the story and some parts of the map are different, that might be the problem

Im not a coder yet so editing a crystal save file is gonna be hard for me
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

Jorpho

Quote from: Creepercraft on October 04, 2022, 11:05:59 AMIm not a coder yet so editing a crystal save file is gonna be hard for me
You do not need to be a coder to use these tools. These are some of the most popular games ever made and I very much expect the tools have been well-developed accordingly.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Creepercraft

Quote from: Jorpho on October 04, 2022, 11:56:20 AMYou do not need to be a coder to use these tools.
Ok, but, how do i adapt a save file with just editing hex values :laugh: ?, Im gonna try to load the save file on a computer emulator to see if it works
If it doesn't, then i will use pkhex
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

KingMike

Quote from: Creepercraft on October 10, 2022, 12:27:03 PMOk, but, how do i adapt a save file with just editing hex values :laugh: ?
The short answer is that, you don't.

If just renaming your save file doesn't work (and I assume it doesn't), then that means there would be data differences between Crystal (which I'm sure there is) and Gold/Silver.
I'm positive you DO NOT want to recreate thousands of KB of save data by hand.

Not to mention that most games usually have some sort of data known as a "checksum" to prevent data in the save file from being changed unexpectedly (in the original game's case, mostly caused by a dying battery).

Save files are a data format that is literally different for every game. We could not answer that without knowing the exact details of how the exact game you are asking about works. Which "use tools that are available" such as designated save editors would be the only sensible option. (I only presume save editors for the game exist, since it is a very popular game so likely someone has already written one.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Creepercraft

Quote from: KingMike on October 10, 2022, 03:26:45 PMI'm positive you DO NOT want to recreate thousands of KB of save data by hand
You're right, i dont 😂🤣
If it doesnt work by changing the name of the save file, then i can't do anything to make it work?
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

FAST6191

If it works like the GBA, DS and whatever stuff I am more familiar with then get a save editor.
Load the game you made in one, load a blank save in another, copy data from the game with the stuff you want into the other game (some editors even provide options for it, though again I don't know GB/GBC stuff here).

Pokemon games are usually very extensively hacked with cheats and save editing being among the earliest tools made.

Alternatively. You could probably trade things across, possibly before editing the new save to match a trainer ID or something to avoid issues with traded pokemon.

Jorpho

Quote from: Creepercraft on October 11, 2022, 03:23:26 PMIf it doesnt work by changing the name of the save file
We've already established that doesn't work.

You've already mentioned pkhex; do you not want to use that for some reason?

(Also, why is this a poll now..?)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Creepercraft

Quote from: Jorpho on October 11, 2022, 07:14:21 PMWe've already established that doesn't work.
yes, it doesnt work, anyways im gonna try once more in VBA

Quote from: Jorpho on October 11, 2022, 07:14:21 PMYou've already mentioned pkhex; do you not want to use that for some reason?
it gives an error on my pc

and its now a poll bcuz yes :V
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

Jorpho

Quote from: Creepercraft on October 13, 2022, 08:31:40 PMit gives an error on my pc
You tried to host an image on the Scratchpad despite the fact that it plainly says "This is not for use on the forums. Personal use of any kind is prohibited.".

Maybe instead of making polls you should read the documentation for the programs you are trying to use?

Creepercraft

Quote from: Jorpho on October 14, 2022, 12:15:55 AMMaybe instead of making polls you should read the documentation for the programs you are trying to use?

yeaa... i need an IDE to execute it ._.

my "potato pc" might not support one
🔲🟪🔲
🟪🟪🟪
🔲🔲🔲

Jorpho

Quote from: Creepercraft on October 22, 2022, 08:48:30 PMyeaa... i need an IDE to execute it ._.
What makes you think you need an IDE? Do you even know what an IDE is!? Do you really think a save game editor is going to require some enormously powerful PC!?

If you have a screenshot of your error, please upload it to https://imgbb.com or somewhere else where people can actually see it.